running the same amp in parallel

Brownmatthall

Power User
Recently Ive taken to messing with the tone stack location and had a thought: I like certain qualities of both pre and post but cant quite get where I want with either, why not blend a singular amp running the tone stack in both? Not sure if this has been done or discussed in the past but so far Im pretty happy with where im getting for a preliminary sort of test run! Lets me get the body and clarity of the pre location and the saturation and feel of post. Im still fudging with it but i recorded a quick little clip on the tele thinline playing chords that would usually get lost (especially so on the stock single coils) and surprisingly you can kind of make out the accents being played, also reminded me in need to set this guitar up :oops:

I have a preset where I have two 'Brit 800' amps in parallel into separate cabs with identical IR's panned hard left and right. Each amp has a different gain structure and EQ that causes them to react completely different to picking dynamics. Sounds almost like two separate guitars. I also have a 'Chorus' before just one amp.

I do something similar in my main Mesa Mark IIc+ patch, where I run 2 of the same amp models in parallel with the exact same settings, except for the tube type (amp 1 has the default 6L6/amp 2 has 6V6).

Last edited:
So, I had some time tonight and took another shot at seeing what i can get out of routing like this. Cept this time i went with 2 different amps (the orange AD30 for the Pre and a Splawn quickrod gear 3 for the Post), my goal being to get the clarity in a more tonally balanced package. I feel like my first patch (the Badcat model for both) was a bit harsh in the top end and i wanted to rectify that. this clip has both patches playing the same chordal passage, the first 2 on my bridge pup and the second 2 on the middle position of my tele thinline, all thoughts and critique welcome!

Back
Top Bottom