Running into difficulty organizing presets

No problems guys, i hope you can glean something from it, it's just an easy and logical set up for me and i've used the same approach for years with all sorts of gear.

The truth is i wish the implementation of continuos control was a little more advanced. It annoys me that i can't assign a single parameter to multiple modifiers and i've broached this before but for some reason it has been met with much adversity... I mean a lowly GT6 is capable of assigning the same parameter to no less than 5 different controllers simultaneously and yet the Axe FX can't? I find that an anomaly!

Why would i want to you may ask? Here's just one example...

Take my preset 1 where CC4 kicks in Delay, Reverb, Gain and GEQ. That's great for soloing but there are times where i want to maybe turn just the delay off, or alternatively turn just the delay on without the other stuff. Well, you could if the Axe FX was capable of assigning the Delay Bypass to a second modifier but it can't. Sure there are work arounds but for me most of these are compromises..

Ah well, maybe one day.... :(

teejay - great setup, thanks for sharing! I just got my Jr. a few days ago and am still trying to get my head around all it is capable of. This helps immensely!

Hey TeeJay,

Yor setup sounds awesome--any chance of you posting all your presets? Maybe in a ZIP file?

If not, I understand...

Thanks!

Mercury25 said:
Hey TeeJay,

Yor setup sounds awesome--any chance of you posting all your presets? Maybe in a ZIP file?

If not, I understand...

Thanks!
I'm happy to although i don't think i can attach a zip file here... I tried several times with both Safari and Firefox and the browsers just quit unexpectedly... I can certainly look at whacking them on the exchange when i get chance. In the meantime, PM me with an email address and i'll be happy to send them through.

It should be said that all my presets use Red Wirez IRs so they may not translate perfectly to other player's set ups.

T

Elmer said:
teejay - great setup, thanks for sharing! I just got my Jr. a few days ago and am still trying to get my head around all it is capable of. This helps immensely!
It is a fantastic little controller and incredibly powerful! I'm only using a fraction of its capabilities however it's reassuring to know that it can do more should i ever have a need for it... ;)

teejay said:

Take my preset 1 where CC4 kicks in Delay, Reverb, Gain and GEQ. That's great for soloing but there are times where i want to maybe turn just the delay off, or alternatively turn just the delay on without the other stuff. Well, you could if the Axe FX was capable of assigning the Delay Bypass to a second modifier but it can't. Sure there are work arounds but for me most of these are compromises..

I think you can do this in a slighty different way. You should be able to use the ingain or mix parameters hooked to your external modifier and the bypass of the same effects hooked to different modifiers or CCs.

I am planning to do exactly what you do for my solo tone but have the bypass for the filter on a different CC so I can effectively have the solo tone without the boost.

benjam said:
teejay said:

I think you can do this in a slighty different way. You should be able to use the ingain or mix parameters hooked to your external modifier and the bypass of the same effects hooked to different modifiers or CCs.

I am planning to do exactly what you do for my solo tone but have the bypass for the filter on a different CC so I can effectively have the solo tone without the boost.
That's true, that's one of the work arounds that i mentioned... :D

teejay said:
And the really cool function? I have assigned a step function for every preset so that when i stomp on the currently selected Preset Switch a second time it sends CC4 (ext 4). This is the one i use most for toggling between rhythm and lead and as you can see in Preset 1, it is toggling the state of 4 parameters simultaneously.

I wonder if this double tap method could be done with my rocktron midi mate?

teejay said:
Mercury25 said:
Hey TeeJay,

If not, I understand...

Thanks!
I'm happy to although i don't think i can attach a zip file here... I tried several times with both Safari and Firefox and the browsers just quit unexpectedly... I can certainly look at whacking them on the exchange when i get chance. In the meantime, PM me with an email address and i'll be happy to send them through.

It should be said that all my presets use Red Wirez IRs so they may not translate perfectly to other player's set ups.

T
TeeJay, all you need to do is rename the file to a different extention and include the instruction in your posting's text to rename it again to .zip

I would also *really* like to get your patches...

Daniel

teejay said:
No problems guys, i hope you can glean something from it, it's just an easy and logical set up for me and i've used the same approach for years with all sorts of gear.

The truth is i wish the implementation of continuos control was a little more advanced. It annoys me that i can't assign a single parameter to multiple modifiers and i've broached this before but for some reason it has been met with much adversity... I mean a lowly GT6 is capable of assigning the same parameter to no less than 5 different controllers simultaneously and yet the Axe FX can't? I find that an anomaly!

It can't? I think I'm doing this now (I'll double check tonight). But I have the following setup:

• I have a the Delay 1 IA set to a CC, assigned to a switch on my R1. So I have an instant access switch to turn a Delay 1 block on/off at any time.[/*:m:vk322q76]
  • I have a global bypass IA set to a CC, assigned to a switch on my R1. So I have an instant access switch that turns all bypassed blocks on/off at any time (as long as their bypass state is not attached to external controllers).[/*:m:vk322q76]
  • Per patch, I'll assign a external controller that's attached to a latching switch to multiple effect bypassing in a patch.[/*:m:vk322q76]

So now I can:

• Use the IA to turn Delay 1 on or off in a patch.[/*:m:vk322q76]
  • Use the global bypass to turn all my bypassed effects on/off in a patch that haven't got their bypass state assigned to an external controller.[/*:m:vk322q76]
  • Use my external switch to turn on/off just a few of the effects in a patch[/*:m:vk322q76]

That's obviously not infinitely flexible, but it's not as rigid as you make it out to be in your post. Between those three options I can get it down to one or two taps to move from Sound A in a patch to Sound B. Does take some planning though. And it means I have some switches in front of me who's behaviour changes based on the patch. But I don't mind that so much.

iaresee said:
teejay said:

It can't? I think I'm doing this now (I'll double check tonight). But I have the following setup:

• I have a the Delay 1 IA set to a CC, assigned to a switch on my R1. So I have an instant access switch to turn a Delay 1 block on/off at any time.[/*:m:23z8yway]
  • I have a global bypass IA set to a CC, assigned to a switch on my R1. So I have an instant access switch that turns all bypassed blocks on/off at any time (as long as their bypass state is not attached to external controllers).[/*:m:23z8yway]
  • Per patch, I'll assign a external controller that's attached to a latching switch to multiple effect bypassing in a patch.[/*:m:23z8yway]

So now I can:

• Use the IA to turn Delay 1 on or off in a patch.[/*:m:23z8yway]
  • Use the global bypass to turn all my bypassed effects on/off in a patch that haven't got their bypass state assigned to an external controller.[/*:m:23z8yway]
  • Use my external switch to turn on/off just a few of the effects in a patch[/*:m:23z8yway]

That's obviously not infinitely flexible, but it's not as rigid as you make it out to be in your post. Between those three options I can get it down to one or two taps to move from Sound A in a patch to Sound B. Does take some planning though. And it means I have some switches in front of me who's behaviour changes based on the patch. But I don't mind that so much.
I think you've misunderstood what i meant. You can't assign the SAME parameter to multiple modifiers. But as i mentioned, there are workarounds. What i often do is assign the bypass block to one modifier and the mix to another but this only works for simulating a bypass. There are times when i want to assign the mix parameter to different values and this is where it is limited.
For example, say i want Controller one to change the mix value from 0 to 30 for a nice solo delay but when i hit Controller 2 it changes the mix value from 0 to 50 for a more percussive delay. This can't be done from the same parameter. Currently i'm having to do this by using a second Delay block but if i had my way i'd have a way more complex setup but that could only be achieved if multiple assignments to the same parameter was possible.

Dpoirier said:
teejay said:
Mercury25 said:
Hey TeeJay,

If not, I understand...

Thanks!

T
TeeJay, all you need to do is rename the file to a different extention and include the instruction in your posting's text to rename it again to .zip

I would also *really* like to get your patches...

Daniel
Daniel, thanks for the tip ;) Okay, i've added a .rar extension that needs to be deleted from the end of this file. It will then be a zip file that has my sysex in it.

Cheers,

T

Attachments

• teejay presets.zip.rar
    8.3 KB · Views: 26
teejay said:
I think you've misunderstood what i meant. You can't assign the SAME parameter to multiple modifiers. But as i mentioned, there are workarounds.
Yup: I totally mis-read your post! :oops:

What i often do is assign the bypass block to one modifier and the mix to another but this only works for simulating a bypass. There are times when i want to assign the mix parameter to different values and this is where it is limited.
For example, say i want Controller one to change the mix value from 0 to 30 for a nice solo delay but when i hit Controller 2 it changes the mix value from 0 to 50 for a more percussive delay. This can't be done from the same parameter. Currently i'm having to do this by using a second Delay block but if i had my way i'd have a way more complex setup but that could only be achieved if multiple assignments to the same parameter was possible.
Hmm...how programmable is your controller? Could you not have button 1 send CC#A value 30 and button 2 send CC#A and value 50? I'm stretching here, just trying to brain storm this thing with you. Basically make two buttons send on the same CC# but different on values. Both would send 0 when off.

iaresee said:
Hmm...how programmable is your controller? Could you not have button 1 send CC#A value 30 and button 2 send CC#A and value 50? I'm stretching here, just trying to brain storm this thing with you. Basically make two buttons send on the same CC# but different on values. Both would send 0 when off.
Yeah, the controller is capable but the Axe FX is not... You still need to program that sort of command from the modifier menu on the Axe, unless someone knows something i don't.... :)

teejay said:
iaresee said:
Yeah, the controller is capable but the Axe FX is not... You still need to program that sort of command from the modifier menu on the Axe, unless someone knows something i don't.... :)
Since both buttons are sending on the same CC# there's nothing the Axe-Fx can't do here. You assign External Controller M to be controlled by CC#N and you're done. Two switches on your contoller happen to send values on this CC#, that's all.

Using my Axe-Fx, here's how I'd do it:

I/O Button
Page over to the CTRL tab
Set External 1 to respond to messages on CC# 12

On my foot controller:

Set switch 1 to send on CC#12
Off: 0
On: 64
Se switch 2 to send on CC#12
On: 127

In my patch, on a filter block:
Set it to be a null filter
Attach the Gain parameter to External 1
Set the curve so value 0 is +0 dB, value 64 is more, value 127 is a lot more

Save. Done.

Now two switches get me two different boost levels. You'd probably want them both to be off in the patch initially.

That seems like it'd work to me. I can't try it. My R1 isn't that advanced.

iaresee said:
teejay said:
iaresee said:
Since both buttons are sending on the same CC# there's nothing the Axe-Fx can't do here. You assign External Controller M to be controlled by CC#N and you're done. Two switches on your contoller happen to send values on this CC#, that's all.

Using my Axe-Fx, here's how I'd do it:

I/O Button
Page over to the CTRL tab
Set External 1 to respond to messages on CC# 12

On my foot controller:

Set switch 1 to send on CC#12
On: 64
Se switch 2 to send on CC#12
On: 127

In my patch, on a filter block:
Set it to be a null filter
Attach the Gain parameter to External 1
Set the curve so value 0 is +0 dB, value 64 is more, value 127 is a lot more

Save. Done.

Now two switches get me two different boost levels. You'd probably want them both to be off in the patch initially.

That seems like it'd work to me. I can't try it. My R1 isn't that advanced.
Hmmn... I see what you're getting at... I'll have to try this and see when i get a chance. I'm pretty swamped with gigs at the moment so i don't want to mess with my set up too much and i'm heading to Beijing for 10 days for a bunch of shows next week so i'll probably have to wait 'til after that but i'll let you know how i go with it. Thanks for that!

T

Back
Top Bottom