Running Axe-FX3 through VHT2:90 and FOH Help! (Switching from Kemper)

mlancaster1

Hello, I have recently switched to an Axe-Fx 3 after using a Kemper for the last 6+ years. I've traditionally ran my Kemper through a VHT 2:90 to power my 4x12 on stage and send the direct signal to FOH. When looking through the manual, I am trying to run my Axe Fx 3 as shown on page 27 only instead of a solid state power amp, I am using a tube power amp. Can I use output 3 or 4 to go to the power amp since I only have the option to use 1/4 inch cables or do I have to use output 2 which would require an XLR to TRS cable? Also if I disable power amp modeling, does this affect the direct tone at all? I just want the ability to have good stage sound or best of both worlds but not sure if I need to make some tweaks compared to how I use to run my Kemper.

So far I am just getting use to the axe fx in general and trying to understand it as I have it plugged into my audio interface and studio monitors at the moment. I am thinking I need to either run this through a power amp and cab and mic it for live use, or ditch that idea and go direct which I'm not too big of a fan of. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Out 3 or 4 are perfectly fine for your intended use. No need for XLR to TRS cables.

Why not do both cabs on stage and direct to front of house? Many people run the Axe-FX that way with good results and you don't have to rely on good microphone placement or deal with sound bleed.

Out 3 or 4 are perfectly fine for your intended use. No need for XLR to TRS cables.

Why not do both cabs on stage and direct to front of house? Many people run the Axe-FX that way with good results and you don't have to rely on good microphone placement or deal with sound bleed.
Thats exactly what I was hoping for, thank you! I dont want to mic the cab but have it for stage volume and kind of a hybrid setup. Are there any differences with the 4 different outputs besides being able to run XLR or 1/4 inch? Also is the power amp modeling affecting every output including output 1 thats going to FOH?

Also I noticed some musicians running it through a power amp and micing a cab. Does anyone have any tips for running this kind of setup live?

Last edited:
So I reached out to support for this and basically was told that if I want to disable power amp modeling for just output 3 going into my VHT 2/90 that I would need to run a parallel chain with two amp blocks. So would leave power amp modeling under global settings to on and then go to AMP 2 power amp menu and turn off the power amp modeling there.

This setup seems kind of uncommon, so I am wondering how are other users running this type of setup into a tube power amp and also DI?

You can use out1 (1/4) to FOH and Out2 (Xlr) to your poweramp.
You need to make the preset and the signalchain to this needs.
I never turn off poweramp modeling...it sounds much better when on in my opinion.

You can use out1 (1/4) to FOH and Out2 (Xlr) to your poweramp.
You need to make the preset and the signalchain to this needs.
I never turn off poweramp modeling...it sounds much better when on in my opinion.
Yeah essentially thats what I did with the kemper by disabling the cab section. The power amp is baked into the profile so I was hoping leaving the power amp modeling on the AXE-FX wouldn't make the amp sound coming out of the cab terrible.

+1, not only as a matter of preference imo, but I'd consider it a necessity to keep p.a. modelling on in many cases. Example: using any amp model where the modelled power section imparts a lot of character and is typically "driven hard" within the model (ie many non-mv models, class-A models (vox...)) with p.a. modelling off into a clean hi headroom rack tube power amp is not likely going to sound as authentic to the model's target tone imo (could be way off) because that clean hi headroom tube power amp is not going to be able to replace the removed modelled p.a. character. Even running such models out to many tube combo / head returns for low volume playing are likely better off with p.a. modelling on since the combo / head power section is not likely, at low volume, to impart as much p.a. character as it could at hi volume in which case one would logically then turn p.a. modelling off since at hi volume many tube combo / heads will be well into their own zones of more dramatically imparting some p.a. character (what type of tonal character it might generate at hi-volume and how close
that is to the amp model's native p.a. character when engaged, is yet another consideration). This question won't matter as much with hi-gain models that get more of their character from the preamp and relatively less from the power amp section.

I think using real tube power amps with modellers is somewhat
of a grey zone as they are adding tube flavour to the tubes already in the model either a little or a lot depending on the type of tube amp and how hard it's driven. With a real tube p.a., it's not always that obvious in which circumstances p.a modelling is better turned off vs on, which is why, though I gas for an LXII to power my FR or trad cabs with some of that real tube special sauce, I think the SS amps I'm using make more logical sense within a modelling context - they make loud - that's it.

Last edited:
+1, not only as a matter of preference imo, but I'd consider it a necessity to keep p.a. modelling on in many cases. Example: using any amp model where the modelled power section imparts a lot of character and is typically "driven hard" within the model (ie many non-mv models, class-A models (vox...)) with p.a. modelling off into a clean hi headroom rack tube power amp is not likely going to sound as authentic to the model's target tone imo (could be way off) because that clean hi headroom tube power amp is not going to be able to replace the removed modelled p.a. character. Even running such models out to many tube combo / head returns for low volume playing are likely better off with p.a. modelling on since the combo / head power section is not likely, at low volume, to impart as much p.a. character as it could at hi volume in which case one would logically then turn p.a. modelling off since at hi volume many tube combo / heads will be well into their own zones of more dramatically imparting some p.a. character (what type of tonal character it might generate at hi-volume and how close
that is to the amp model's native p.a. character when engaged, is yet another consideration). This question won't matter as much with hi-gain models that get more of their character from the preamp and relatively less from the power amp section.

I think using real tube power amps with modellers is somewhat
of a grey zone as they are adding tube flavour to the tubes already in the model either a little or a lot depending on the type of tube amp and how hard it's driven. With a real tube p.a., it's not always that obvious in which circumstances p.a modelling is better turned off vs on, which is why, though I gas for an LXII to power my FR or trad cabs with some of that real tube special sauce, I think the SS amps I'm using make more logical sense within a modelling context - they make loud - that's it.
+1 as well.

The Fryette 2:90:2 is my favorite poweramp with the AxeFx - and I also have a 2:50:2 and used to have a Classic. I also run a hybrid with one set of outputs going to the power amp and cab, and the other set going to FOH. IMO, it sound better with the power amp modeling turned on. The KT88’s are largely transparent, but give that very pleasing bottom end punch - it sounds great!

+1 as well.

The Fryette 2:90:2 is my favorite poweramp with the AxeFx - and I also have a 2:50:2 and used to have a Classic. I also run a hybrid with one set of outputs going to the power amp and cab, and the other set going to FOH. IMO, it sound better with the power amp modeling turned on. The KT88’s are largely transparent, but give that very pleasing bottom end punch - it sounds great!
It does sound pretty good but kind of thin. Are you using the output 3 eq to tweak the cab sound?

It does sound pretty good but kind of thin. Are you using the output 3 eq to tweak the cab sound?
I run the 2:90:2 depth at 2 o’clock and the presence at 11 o’clock - no thinness. When running a Matrix power amp, I will boost from 150-300Hz around +1.5dB and roll off around 8KHz to get a similar sonic profile.

Back
Top Bottom