Running a 4x12 and a 2x12 in stereo

Sorenspete

Inspired
I'm sure someone's done this before, but just curious if there are any setbacks to this?

Edit: the power amp is 2-channel (stereo)

Last edited:
I run a closed-back vertical 2x12 and open back 1x12 as “stereo”, but it’s really more dual mono sources given their different qualities with the rare stereo spread or panning effect for fun. I then use the balance in the output block to determine which vibe I want more or less of. It’s a more interesting sound to me than two matching cabs.

There should be no perceivable difference in volume. Based on this journal regarding acoustics of a choir, attached below. Given sound doubles in loudness every 10db added, the 2 speakers next to 4 speakers should only increase in a value of 3db respectively.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5662467/#:~:text=Thus, increasing the choir size,voice choir with similar voices.
I'm not quite following you... A 3dB difference is a perceptible one.

Secondly, it's not just a matter of more / less speakers. The impedance of both cabs would need to be the same to get the same output from both channels of the amp (with the same level settings).

Secondly, it's not just a matter of more / less speakers. The impedance of both cabs would need to be the same to get the same output from both channels of the amp (with the same level settings).
Not considering the impedance because that would be handled by the power amp. Please read the article I attached to my post. It goes into great detail regarding the perception of a 3db deviation.

I have a feeling the MESA 2x12 vertical slant cab I'm looking at is 8 Ohms only, whereas the 4x12 I have is 8 Ohms mono and 4 Ohms per stereo input. I'd have to run the Fryette 4O on channel 1 and 8O on channel 2 - it would work but I'd obviously have to adjust to taste.

I have a feeling the MESA 2x12 vertical slant cab I'm looking at is 8 Ohms only, whereas the 4x12 I have is 8 Ohms mono and 4 Ohms per stereo input. I'd have to run the Fryette 4O on channel 1 and 8O on channel 2 - it would work but I'd obviously have to adjust to taste.
I think I need my morning coffee because this post literally makes no sense.

I'd run the Fryette at 8 Ohms on Ch1. No need to use the stereo inputs on the 4x12.

The only thing that would bug me is the lack of visual symmetry due to the size. I would go two 4x12 or 2(2x12)

The only thing that would bug me is the lack of visual symmetry due to the size. I would go two 4x12 or 2(2x12)
Yeah plus this cab I'm looking at is a slant cab and I don't like being blasted with high-end by them. Straight cabs are just way more killer sounding.

Yeah plus this cab I'm looking at is a slant cab and I don't like being blasted with high-end by them. Straight cabs are just way more killer sounding.
Stand close and you will barely get any highs. Straight cabs can have angled baffles internally fwiw.

Back
Top Bottom