Running 2 amps in stereo, at gigs

wow the only change is .03 bass and treble? did you change other things to stereo, like cabs at the same time? i'm not sure i could notice a .03 change in anything.

Nope, not for this test. I set up two scenes so I could easily A/B between one and two amps.

Even using the same settings, there’s an audible different over just using one amp. The slight tweaks just help push the sound in a thicker direction.

Nope, not for this test. I set up two scenes so I could easily A/B between one and two amps.

Even using the same settings, there’s an audible different over just using one amp. The slight tweaks just help push the sound in a thicker direction.
Interesting. Sorry to badger more, but are the amps going into stereo cabs or separate cab blocks?

I love the technique of using two different amps. Differences in dynamics and tone are fun to play and sound great. It doesn't even need to be two very different amps.
So I tried the two amp thing today. I’m digging it. Same amp, slightly different EQ (bass + .03 and treble - .03), hard panned. It definitely adds something to the sound. Subtle, but audible. Like a touch of fairy dust.
I do this a lot and love the sound -- two of the same amp, panned left and right, with similar but different setting. Let your imagination run wild with that part...
  • Have your envelope follower control the Mids EQ (or presence, or whatever) on each amp by differing amounts.
  • Alter the pre-amp bias / pre-amp hardness / boost type on each amp
  • Varying Negative Feedback on each amp.
  • Different Speaker Impedance Curves
  • Input EQ
  • ... basically anything that can give you a dynamically different sound between the left and right channels. And anything that can be modified by a controller is a good candidate.

If the people running your live sound wont make it sound incredible, i wouldnt bother.

Now if your act hires a sound guy and he can make it magical, then yeah experiment.

Yeah. It’d be like failing to quadtrack a guitar and make it sound muddy in the mix

I gave what Ken Andrews previewed a try, using the same amps and cabs. Really dig it but went a little further after A/Bing with my other main presets. I added along with his German V30 cab a York Mesa V30 with a slightly lower mix. I also mixed in a Plexi with both the Friedman and Bogner and to my ears it‘s a wonderful combination

To answer the OP's question, for stereo patches I like to run two Amp blocks in Parallel, each hard panned L-R, then into a Stereo cab block (a mono cab will sum the two amps to mono, so make sure to keep that in mind).

As for choosing amps... I'll go for two similar sounding amps and I won't deviate too much from one to the other when dialing them in. The goal for me is to widen the sound, not to have two totally different tones left and right. I find that the effect works best when your lows and mids have a similar character or signature between your amps, while the treble and sizzle are slightly different to highlight the stereo spread. This will help your sound seem big without being lopsided.

What would 2 amps do that 1 doesn’t?

Dude. Not trying to be disrespectful here but you have "Fractal Beta Tester" in your signature. How could you possibly ask a question like this? Are you trolling?

Last edited:
So I'm noticing when I try this, my second amp sounds....dull.... Doesn't matter which amp or how I dial it in, the tones just sounds much weaker than the original primary amp. I'm running both amps into the same cab ( I basically just stacked an amp block on top of the original. Same signal path)

Anyone else experience this?

So I'm noticing when I try this, my second amp sounds....dull.... Doesn't matter which amp or how I dial it in, the tones just sounds much weaker than the original primary amp. I'm running both amps into the same cab ( I basically just stacked an amp block on top of the original. Same signal path)

Anyone else experience this?
are the 2 amps parallel or series?

are the 2 amps parallel or series?

Tweaking more, and getting it to sound better but it's almost like there's this "blend" of clean tone that peeks through in the second amp. Screenshot attached

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 7.48.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 7.48.56 PM.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Running hard stereo in a live situation also means that some people hear one side only, they don't get the other side at all. When you pan a Friedman and a DC, some get a modern distorted sound, others get a rather clean sound.
Better start with the pan knobs centered and only turn a bit off center from there.
Then play live and listen and increase step by step when it works.
Turning off center you might notice that you loose some pressure, that's a price you always have to pay going stereo like that.
This is spot on. Stereo sounds good in your earphones or right in front of you but in a live situation it is not a good idea.

This is spot on. Stereo sounds good in your earphones or right in front of you but in a live situation it is not a good idea.
Stereo CAN sound great in a live situation. This seems to be a hot button issue with several people making strong stances on one side or the other. As with everything else, give it a shot and see if it works for YOU.

Back
Top Bottom