Rukus - what the heck is wrong with this drive pedal?

I never really used the drives into my clean channel for anything like a hi-gain tone until now, but I've got two patches where I use the Ruckus now, one with most settings fairly standard, and one pushing things around to make it something else. Both sound great as alternative rhythm guitar sounds for layering with my 5150 III. Now to get busy and do some recording!

Also finding the Shred works pretty well in this type of thing as well, but need to shape it a bit more to get what I'm after as it has a little something in the highs I don't like as much and need to tame it a bit.

Why does *who* I make the settings?

Fractal matches the real pedals...at least, that is the intent.
I guess I felt like the overdrive pedals broke up super early compared to pedals I own. The place on the dial when gain starts rolling in seems to start very low. Hope this makes sense. Low to mid gain stuff.
Dont the exotic clones do cleaner and more gradual gainMaybe I'm not using the right pedals. I have a king of tone on my board and I guess trying to emulate that and an ep booster (for the round blooming this it does) and an extra gain stage for more saturated and sustained leads (plenty of those in this box).
Lots of questions there; here's another ;)
So, the place on the dial and how the pedals react should be realistic compared to the real things?
Are the low and high pass filters and the tone and gain knobs similar to their counterparts on the same settings?Is 5 on the gain and on 5 on the tone in the same range as their counterparts?

I guess I felt like the overdrive pedals broke up super early compared to pedals I own. The place on the dial when gain starts rolling in seems to start very low. Hope this makes sense. Low to mid gain stuff.
Dont the exotic clones do cleaner and more gradual gainMaybe I'm not using the right pedals. I have a king of tone on my board and I guess trying to emulate that and an ep booster (for the round blooming this it does) and an extra gain stage for more saturated and sustained leads (plenty of those in this box).
Lots of questions there; here's another ;)
So, the place on the dial and how the pedals react should be realistic compared to the real things?
Are the low and high pass filters and the tone and gain knobs similar to their counterparts on the same settings?Is 5 on the gain and on 5 on the tone in the same range as their counterparts?

I highly recommend reading this:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-audio-drive-models-yeks-pdf-guide.125250/

Should answer your questions...

Yes, thanks. That does answer a bunch of questions.

So it sounds like the pedals do have the same range across the dials. Just seemed like some of those pedals got gainy really quick. They also started to sound very similar after a bit.

And based on that, it does sound like changing the other advanced parameters would the but customizing the pedal. I wanted to make sure and keep it simple for now and treat it like a regular pedalboard. I'm guessing it will do that (other than running out of CPU, which sucks by the way) so I wont sweat it with the details. I need to play guitar after all :)

this highlights one issue i have with the FX8 drives - i think they should default to a "good" setting whenever you select one, rather than retaining the setting of the previous pedal - as there are vast differences and some sound horrendous with the same settings.. Or even better be able to to decide in the global menu whether to have default setting or previous setting.
+1 on this suggestion.

Agreed. This makes complete sense. How do we make this a thing? How do things happen?
A couple of thoughts. First, "good" is subjective. Secondly, I'm sure Fractal has limited development staff. This is probably pretty far down on their list of priorities, and it probably should be. Would any of us prefer that they set aside work actually improving sounds so that they could normalize each sound with default settings? It's analogous to buying a physical pedal and realizing, "Whoa this thing has a ton of gain?" and having to adjust it accordingly.

Yes, I would like to see it happen. But it's a minor annoyance.

So how are the Big Muff and Rat models these days after the firmware update?

I had tried an AX8 back when it first came out and was the same price as an FX8. But I flipped it fast because I couldn't see realisticly going ampless and didn't like the Drive blocks as much as my simple analog pedals.

I adore my Wren And Cuff Russian Muff clone. But the Muff in the AX8 was awful back when I tried it.

I'd like a good Rat, too, but I imagine that's hard to model because the real thing goes through some personality changes as you sweep through the gain range.

I think if they could nail the Drive block, the FX8 would be better for me. But the Drives have to be on point because 90% of the time I just need a simple dry dirty sound.

I just used it in a preset yesterday and it worked wonderfully. It will probably get a lot of looks in the future. I am running latest firmware, so maybe it was a turkey before, but not now. All MHO of course

Back
Top Bottom