Routing / Setup Help: Axe-FX II with GSP1101 as backup

dweiskopf

Inspired
Hi -

Newbie here, so please be gentle :)....

I am switching from a GSP1101 to an Axe-FX 11 and have the following routing / setup question I could really use this forum's help! Here is my goal:

I'd like to use the Axe-FX II for everything, and have the GSP1101 available primarily for back, but also for the rare occasion where I'd like to use just the GSP1101 (a preset or two I've set up over over the years I like). A picture of planned rig (work in progress) is attached, but the core is essentially

Axe-FX II Output [1 or 2 1/4" (part of the question)] --> VHT 2/50/2 --> (Stereo) 2 Marshall 4x12 Stock 1960a cabs; AND
Axe-FX II Output 1 (XLR) --> Direct to Mixing Board (stereo (2 channels)) --> Out to Mains

While you can set the GSP1101 to automatically disable the cabs/sims on the 1/4" out the power amp, and simultaneously have the XLRs with the cab/sims on, and retain a separate FX loop, the Axe-FX II seems a little different, where to do the above, I think I need to have the 1/4" outs to the VHT from Output 2, so that I can disable the cabs/sims, as Output 1 will have the same settings as the XLRs (which, b/c going to the board, I'll want to have the cabs/sims on). I think that's right? And I don't think the Echo setting to 'copy/switch' the 1/4' Output 1 and 2 will help my goal.....

All this is doable until I get stuck on how to incorporate the GSP1101 so that, if I want to sent my signal through it, without changing cables, either for back up needs, or for the separate patch. Given the VHT only has 2 1/4" inputs, I can't run in parallel, so I think I either need to find a way to (1) somehow have the GSP1101 in an 'empty' setting in the Axe-FX II to run the signal through the Axe, through the GSP and back through the Axe out to the VHT and board, or (2) have switching option. I'm not sure how to do option 2, and think option 1 would be simpler and best, but not sure how to do that and route accordingly.

Does this make sense? Can anyone help me? Please? Thanks so much, and for being kind to the newbie if I haven't got this right or made sense....Happy to clarify anything to get the help!!

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Rig.jpg
    Rig.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 21
Thanks. I have. However, as noted above, I don't believe it addresses the problem I am trying to solve. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have to ask this... not to be an ass, but because I really want to know: Do you actually have your Axe yet? I mean, have you spent any time with it? If so... ok.

The reason I ask is because I too came from the 1101. I still have it. I actually kind of liked it, as long as I didn't put it next to a real amp. It was fine in my one guitar cover band. But I'm telling you the very first 10 minutes I played my Axe I thought... "Oh. wow. There is no comparison. None at all"

As it stands now... never in a million years would I switch out to use the 1101... even for what used to be my favorite patch.

It is such a major drop off in tone and feel that it would just destroy a set to me. As a backup... sure. But going back and forth... nope. So not worth it. Can't think of ANY reason on earth. There is 100% NOTHING that the 1101 can do that the Axe can't do and do 50 times better.

Dude. I and the rest of the world and it's ears are begging you... just abandon that plan. Travel light. Be happy. Give the world better tone. They deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom