Routing, Routing, Routing

WITELITE

Experienced
My front of house guy asked for separate feeds for L (Magnetic), R (Piezo) and Synth (GR55)

So I'm in the process of reworking my presets to send the GR55 to output 2 using FXL, Send and Return

A lot of my presets share a delay and reverb so I'm trying to think of the best way to split the L&R signal.

- I have volume pedals at front of each row and panned hard left for Magnetic and hard right for piezo
- Input and Output are Stereo
- Do I have to pan everything in the rows the same way?
- Any tips for the delay and reverb (maybe modifiers that pan left and right depending on volume pedal position?)

What do you guys think is best? (Chris this seems right up your alley!) :)

Thanks

MM

Sharing a preset example would help.
My initial response would be to use the output mixer (at the far right, just after the grid) to make each chain be panned. You could pan each block, but using the output is a ton easier.

Chain 1 - out 1 L
Chain 2 - out 2 R
Chain 3 - FX Send

Here you go. The acoustic and electric share the delays and reverb. Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• AcousticDivided by 13 out 2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 11
Sharing a preset example would help.
My initial response would be to use the output mixer (at the far right, just after the grid) to make each chain be panned. You could pan each block, but using the output is a ton easier.

Chain 1 - out 1 L
Chain 2 - out 2 R
Chain 3 - FX Send

I agree. The challenge is the sharing of the delay and reverb. I attached the preset in the earlier thread

I'm not home right now so haven't popped open the preset. Once I do, I can take a look at it closer.

If you have two signals going into a single block though, they're summed and the output of that block cannot be split how you'd want (it can be split into two new paths, but each path will be the sum of the inputs, not each individual input).

Chris will probably beat me to the punch on cracking open your preset and helping, though :).

My front of house guy asked for separate feeds for L (Magnetic), R (Piezo) and Synth (GR55)

So I'm in the process of reworking my presets to send the GR55 to output 2 using FXL, Send and Return

A lot of my presets share a delay and reverb so I'm trying to think of the best way to split the L&R signal.

- I have volume pedals at front of each row and panned hard left for Magnetic and hard right for piezo
- Input and Output are Stereo
- Do I have to pan everything in the rows the same way?
- Any tips for the delay and reverb (maybe modifiers that pan left and right depending on volume pedal position?)

What do you guys think is best? (Chris this seems right up your alley!) :)

Thanks

MM

Assuming you don't play the acoustic and electric at the same time, it seems you could run them both into the same reverb and then put a vol/pan block after it to pan to the correct output.

As for delay, isn't the "Dual Delay" a dual mono delay?

I'm trying to figure out how to do this very thing on my Ax8 but it is a bit tricker there...

Assuming you don't play the acoustic and electric at the same time, it seems you could run them both into the same reverb and then put a vol/pan block after it to pan to the correct output.

As for delay, isn't the "Dual Delay" a dual mono delay?

I'm trying to figure out how to do this very thing on my Ax8 but it is a bit tricker there...
`

In the same patch but not at the same time. So absent a better idea, I'm going to attach a modifier to the volume pedal that changes the pan of the delay and reverb. That seems to be the best option for me but figure there are smarter folks that may know! :)

`

In the same patch but not at the same time. So absent a better idea, I'm going to attach a modifier to the volume pedal that changes the pan of the delay and reverb. That seems to be the best option for me but figure there are smarter folks that may know! :)

Aren't you using scenes to switch pickups? If so, use a scene controller to set the pan.

If you run out of scene controllers, you could use two vol/pan or filter blocks to do the panning.

Aren't you using scenes to switch pickups? If so, use a scene controller to set the pan.

If you run out of scene controllers, you could use two vol/pan or filter blocks to do the panning.

No. I have one physical volume pedal that in the heel position is acoustic and toe position is magnetic. So it seems like "balance" modifiers might work best attached to the pedal

I think he's asking a lot. Instead, I'd offer to work with him so he gets what he wants from you in a blended signal. What's the problem, anyway?

I have the same setup as you except I'm going mono. I'm also using the FX Loop. If you have a MFC or another controller capable of scenes you really should take advantage of that. I have a vol block each at the beginning of two rows on the grid. One panned left for magnetics and one right for piezo. Separate amps and any unique effects before I merge them to a shared mono reverb and then on to the FX Loop. Guitar to front input, piezo rear input right and GR55 input 2 left. The synth goes straight through the grid to FX Loop. I almost always mix some guitar in with the synth to mask latency from the synth. I also create a "nothing" synth patch when I don't want any synth on a song. Remember you can save main volume in the FX Loop on a per scene basis for additional control. Same for the main out. You sound man IS asking too much. I premix my levels on a per scene bases. My sound man is very happy I'm giving him one signal. We've had a few discussions about tweaking some of the levels and eq between all three signals and we're both in a happy place.

I've had to get creative with three different "instruments" and the routing and levels. If you want to talk a little about the uniqueness of our setups, or lunacy, PM me. Sometimes I feel like I'm on an island by myself. Self inflected, of course.

Thanks guys. I've been using the blended set up for years. I used to use the FXloop and just take everything into input 1. I love it. And I do have the MFC. But these sound guys are very good and I'm totally comfortable so I thought I'd let them take separate signals. Certainly be cool to chat about your experiences too. (I love that the modifiers can also kill the sound of the synth as well or vice versa to minimize the tap dancing)

I'll tell you a very cool piece of gear if you've got the dollars is the QSC touch mix 8. You can use the main out for the back line and have 4 aux mixes that can be used to combine or split sounds at will. As we play different clubs with different soundboard limitations I can blend the sound or split it by setting up scenes on the mixer. VERY COOL.

Thanks all.

MM

Back
Top Bottom