Routing question with external Preamp in FX Loop

xap

Because im not realy satisfied with the distortion models of the Axe I bought an Engl e530 Preamp. My idea was to put it in the FX Loop of the Axe so that I can switch from my clean sound with Delay to an high Distortion sound with the e530 by only switching the preset of the Axe Fx.
If i am plugging the e530 in front of the Axe Fx (like an Overdrive pedal) it sounds amazing. But when i put it in the FX Loop it looses some gain and over all it sounds like crap.
My Question: How should I place the FX Loop for the same result as plugged in front of the Axe? I tried it between the amp block and the cab and before the amp block but it´s always different.

(Additionaly I am from germany, so sorry for my english ;-))

I look forward to hearing what peeps have to say about this.
For what I do I need the PreAmp sound. I have and Egnater Rebel 30
A mark iv Mesa, a groove tubes soul o 75, and a mark iii head.

Still having a hard time with routing.
4 cable? 2 cable? Wet dry wet?

Looking forward to this thread.

I think you need to post where your fx loop falls in relation to other blocks when you put the ENGL in. I've done what you describe with an e570 with good results.

At the moment i have the fx loop block in front of the amp block (first in row). I think thats the best sounding way. When I am placing it between the amp and the cab channel it sound verry muddy. After matching the input and output volumes it sounds pretty good, but slightly different compared connecting the e530 like an overdrive pedal before the Axe fx. It sounds a little bit like a filter block is working when i am using the fx loop. It is not that much different, just a little less "punch" but I would like to get the best possible result :).

What I did with the Engl 570 was bypass the amp block entirely. If you think about it, taking the Axe out of the equation entirely, you'd run a preamp unit straight into a power amp. Any fx would be placed between the preamp and the power amp. By putting an outboard piece, like the ENGL, into the fx block, you can put the wah/compressor types before the preamp, and the delays and reverbs after. I got very good results. I could tweak the ENGL by putting eq's, or other shapers, after it as well. The cab block is another discussion entirely - I always removed it because I go power amp/cab setup. But, it could be included if you liked that sound - always got muddy for me with my setup.

Back
Top Bottom