Routing NAM through signal chain via USB

Trying to run NAM through my FM3 (or my Axe FX III if that makes a difference) signal chain over usb without an interface. How do I get the FM3 to be my guitar input, but then run the NAM processed signal into the fm3 signal chain for adding effects? Please speak in detailed simply terms!

See the "Monitor Through DAW" topic in the recording guide, but basically, just set the FM3 to be your audio device in your DAW, then turn on input monitoring for that track with the plugin. Use channel 3 or 1 for input, depending on whether you want the plugin to receive DI or processed audio from the FM3.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Edit: Or are you saying you want the FM3 effects to follow the plugin? If so, that's basically re-amping.

Last edited:
To reamp you have to change input 1 to “usb 3/4” right? But I want this to happen live which means I need input 1 to get the guitar sound into NAM - it kills my signal when I change it.

If you're saying you want the FM3 processing after NAM, it's very similar to re-amping, but plug into Input 2 and route an In2 block to an Out2 block in the grid. Set the USB 3/4 recording source to Out2. On your DAW track with NAM, set the input to channel 3 and turn on input monitoring. Send the output to channel 3 and set the USB 3/4 playback destination to In1. That will give you NAM followed by any effects you apply in the FM3 after your In1 block. That chain should end with an Out1 block.

If you're saying you want the FM3 processing after NAM, it's very similar to re-amping, but plug into Input 2 and route an In2 block to an Out2 block in the grid. Set the USB 3/4 recording source to Out2. On your DAW track with NAM, set the input to channel 3 and turn on input monitoring. Send the output to channel 3 and set the USB 3/4 playback destination to In1. That will give you NAM followed by any effects you apply in the FM3 after your In1 block. That chain should end with an Out1 block.
This worked! Thanks! Now I can add effects before and after NAM either on the in2 chain (pre) or in1 (post). Sounds great. A few ms more latency, but still useable.

You can use basically the same process on an Axe-FX III (although the return to the Axe-FX III is on channel 5 instead of 3). Set the digital source to usb, input 1 source to digital and the input 2 source to analog.

Or you can take advantage of the InUSB block the Axe-FX has, and plug your guitar into Input 1, in case that's more convenient (substitute an In1 block for the In2 block in the grid). You would then return to the Axe-FX on channel 7, which goes to an InUSB block instead of an In1 block (don't forget to set the Input 1 source to analog).

I’m getting a little noticeable latency on both FM3 and Axe iii. I have all of the buffering settings I can find in reaper set to 0. I set the usb buffering to 48 on the FM3 and can’t find any equivalent setting in the axe iii. Anything that can be done to improve latency is that just the nature of running the signal through digital equipment and a DAW with plugin?

Because you're going back and forth twice, you'll have more latency than usual. The two settings to turn down as low as you can are the Audio device block size in Reaper and the FM3 usb buffer size (the Axe-FX is fixed at 16 and is not adjustable).

Back
Top Bottom