Round Numbers When Editing

nota

Maybe this request is totally silly...

I am kinda OCD with some things, and like nice round numbers on everything. I find myself choosing values on the AXE like 7.05 rather than 7.21 just because it's more round. Yeah, I know this is totally weird and probably a bit crazy, and I'm kind of curious if I'm the only one.

I'd love to have a feature where I can turn off all decimal values and just have 1-2-3-4 values instead, at least on the functions where there's a lot of weird, non-round decimals. I realize there'd be less fine-tuning, but often I can't tell the difference between a few ticks of the decimals anyway.

It would also allow for faster tweaking, since you could go from 1-8 or whatever much faster than you can now.

That is so funny...I do EXACTLY the same thing as you. I'd rather choose 7.05 than 7.21. My bandpartner uses Logic in his studio (I use Nuendo) and in Logic you can hard pan things only -63 and +64 (because of 127 steps) whenever I'm in front of his computer it drives me nuts ! Well not that I get physically sick or anything, but you know what I mean :lol: .

I'm not saying Cliff should change anything in the values, but it would certainly be nice :lol:

Whew, thanks for the validation. I thought I was the only one.

And yeah, I wouldn't change any values, just the ticks between them so they're nice and round.

VegaBaby said:
That is so funny...I do EXACTLY the same thing as you. I'd rather choose 7.05 than 7.21. My bandpartner uses Logic in his studio (I use Nuendo) and in Logic you can hard pan things only -63 and +64 (because of 127 steps) whenever I'm in front of his computer it drives me nuts ! Well not that I get physically sick or anything, but you know what I mean :lol: .
Man, that would drive me nuts as well.
And yeah, things like 25.2% and having to choose between 66.5% or 66.9% drive me crazy too. But that last one also kind of points out the problem with the request. If it was stripped of the decimal... including 66.1%, you'd have three different settings at "66%." Thankfully, three isn't as much of a mental issue, but if it was four... then which of the "66%"s would you pick? You'd just be driven crazy in a new way. :p
And storing all of the values as individual numbers would just take up way too much memory compared to deriving values mathematically.

So... I support the spirit, but most likely, I wouldn't support the results of its implementation.

I do the same thing. You can type in the value you want, by the way. What I find difficult is being forced to use the mouse or having to type in the number for fine grained adjustments - I wish the arrow keys could be used for tiny increments.

quonsar said:
I do the same thing. You can type in the value you want, by the way. What I find difficult is being forced to use the mouse or having to type in the number for fine grained adjustments - I wish the arrow keys could be used for tiny increments.
You can use the scrollwheel for fine steps. Typing in works, but it jumps to the next 'correct' value. If you type in '25' it goes to '25.2' automatically, which by the way is a horrible number :lol: ....I'd really like to have just a nice '25' ;)

I have always wondred about that. I would like to see somthing more how would you say it, chromatic? 1-2 spin the wheel to skip a few 99-100. for get the whole decimal point thing.

As much as I'd like to laugh at the suggestion of this feature request based on the reasoning for it, I can't. I'm not OCD in this particular way, but I have to have all my CDs in my CD book facing the correct way. If they're upside down or sideways, I'm jumping off a bridge. :lol: Also have to have my Red Sox lighter with the logo facing up...especially on a game day...otherwise, they might lose and it'll be my fault. :( But by the same token, there's a girl that I work with who has the same "odd number" OCD thing. I actually make more money from it. She has to tip me out, (I'm a DJ at a strip club) and if she's not holding a round number of money in her hand after tipping out, I get the extra. Wish I had 40 more like her. :mrgreen:

While I understand where you guys are coming from, I'm perfectly happy with the way the numbers are displayed now. I would rather have any "value rounding" feature be an option and not the rule.

I find this thread oddly disturbing. :D

the bass player in my band has OCD tendencies. At one show, we were running a few minutes late because the battery in his Sans Amp went dead. So out to the van to the tool box for a screw driver he went. Fast forward a few minute. Battery replaced, and out to the van he went to put his screwdriver back in the tool box. We were already 10 minutes late to start the show. But there was no way he was going to play the set with that screwdriver sitting on his rig. :eek:

There are varying levels of OCD. For me, I just like certain things to be "lined up" and numbers on my AXE-FX to be nice and whole/round. I'm not that bad though :)

Back
Top Bottom