Wish Rotary: mids

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
I noticed that Rotary effect is usually lacking some mid frequencies, which makes it drown in a mix. When playing in a band context its very noticeable. Can we get a simple eq in a rotary block to compensate for this?

There are dozens of EQ’s you can run either pre or post, which will let you shape the exact frequency response range you desire.

An arbitrary mids knob isn’t a very useful option because what frequency should it be centered at ? 600hz ? 1200hz ? Etc

With an eq block you can select the width, peak freq, etc, far more customizable

There are dozens of EQ’s you can run either pre or post, which will let you shape the exact frequency response range you desire.

An arbitrary mids knob isn’t a very useful option because what frequency should it be centered at ? 600hz ? 1200hz ? Etc

With an eq block you can select the width, peak freq, etc, far more customizable
Yes, but we have Eq in Drive block and Wah block for this same reason, why not Rotary?
And then turning on 2 blocks at the same time gets complicated. Its possible to assign both to the same midi CC and turn them on together, however what if in a different preset you dont want to turn them on together?

Yeah... I really love the Rotary, but have noticed the sound becomes quite thin when using it.

So why not a simple eq w/ sweepable frequency and Q?

So why not a simple eq w/ sweepable frequency and Q?

Then it’s suddenly not so simple as it’s got at least 3 knobs

While we are at it, I’d like a tuneable crossover, to better emulate how the Vibratone cabinet crossover worked, but then that is another level of complexity added to the block.

Not that those are bad ideas by any means, but I think the FAS design is more that you chain blocks together to do anything one needs, opposed to having what could start to resemble multieffect blocks. Certainly case can be made for that, but just seems a bit different than how Cliff originally designed the product.

I think a way to “link” blocks together, to work as one, but still made of separate units, is maybe the best way forward.

True, but like @pauliusmm said, the drive and wah blocks have eq so it shouldn't be too hard to add it to others like rotary. In fact, many blocks have additional functions - i.e. the tone control in the phaser, modulations in the delay, etc that make them more multi.

I think a way to “link” blocks together, to work as one, but still made of separate units, is maybe the best way forward.
This is a good idea too. On the AX8 I'd rather be able to have it within the block since you have limited number of columns.

I usually set the Rotary block 'Level' parameter to somewhere between 1 and 2 dB to make up for the apparent loss of volume when it's engaged.

I usually set the Rotary block 'Level' parameter to somewhere between 1 and 2 dB to make up for the apparent loss of volume when it's engaged.
I do this too for rotary, chorus, phaser... (didn't think of it in my previous post)

I do this too, but its not the same as EQ. It would fit better in the mix, without being too loud, if you could adjust the EQ.

Back
Top Bottom