Rookie question: mic vs no mic on cab

lessthanone

Inspired
title says it all. I just want to know the differences between using the mic as opposed to leaving no mic on the cab sim. I've been busy all day making patches and have been leaving it with no mic on the cab. Is that what is supposed to be the "amp in the room" sound or am I going about it wrong lol. Anyways, thanks in advance and I will probably have a lot more rookie questions as the weeks pass

No mic means that you get the closed miced neutral version of the cab. When you add a mic you get the colour of that specific mic.

No mic does NOT mean that you get the amp in the room sound".

To get the amp in room sound, turn of the cab sims and connect the output of your axe to a neutral power amp and the power amp to the guitar cab of your choice.

If you would like to get the amp in the room feeling through headphones you could use one of the far field irs in the axe. They are "recorded" "farer" away from the cab and often in an off axis position than the other irs. Most important you need to add some kind of room reverb. Either from the reverb block or use the room parameters in the cab block.

The amp in the room basically means that you like to hear your amp sitting in the off axis position in relationship to your cab(lesser high frequencies the farer away from the on axis position that you put your ears in) and that you will hear the raw amp sound with lots of reflections from the room you are playing in(room reverb).

Back
Top Bottom