Rookie Boost Question

Robpags

I'm new to the axe fx world... just bought my XLII last week. How do I get a volume clean boost for leads within a preset? I plan on using scenes. I tried using a volume block and it didn't do it for me.

The output of either the Output block or the Amp block should do the trick. Just switch to the scene you want the boost, set one of those, and save the preset.

I didn't know that the amp block volume was settable per scene?

It's not unless you use x/y settings on the amp. For a clean boost I use a filter block after the amp and connect the level of the filter to an expression pedal to control the amount of boost.

I'm partial to the Null Filter at the end of my chain, set to +3 dbs. Actually, on most of my patches I use Scene 8 as my solo patch which activates the Null Filter at the end and a drive block to goose the front end of the amp a bit. No rules, just right.

It's not unless you use x/y settings on the amp. .

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I prefer to boost the output level of a Scene and then turn on and off whatever additional effects I need too.

May try the Null Filter method too, as it means I have the option from within any Scene once attached to an IA.

I didn't know that the amp block volume was settable per scene?
Whoops, my bad. That's how I set some levels between presets, not scenes. Had a few Java stouts last night, and, well... yeah [emoji6] thanks for correcting it before OP got frustrated

I'm partial to the Null Filter at the end of my chain, set to +3 dbs
This is what I do as well for an increase in (strictly) volume- either for leads or to fit in the mix, etc. if the band gets a little excited or loud, etc. I assign it to an IA switch on the MFC for every preset.

You could also use the Scene Controller feature to control parameters automatically as well. Simply assign what parameter you want to change to either scene 1 or scene 2 controller then turn each scenes knob to either on (100%) or off (0%) accordingly.

I use the Graphic EQ block to boost my signal by simply boosting the mids a bit in the Graphic EQ block, for a slightly different "Lead" frequency to cut through a mix, works very well. I have it assigned to a general use IA switch on the MFC so that I can use it w/any preset, obviously each patch has its own settings for the Graphic EQ.

There are hundreds of ways to achieve a boost...each is to his own. But I think you will run into issues with adjusting a scenes Master output level within a patch. This will create dips/drops and also effect delay/reverb spillover when changing patches and scenes. This should typically always stay at 0 or at least be the same for every patch you use. Adjust volume elsewhere (typically on the AMP's level).

Last edited:
i use the null filter as well, but if I'm not mistaken, you can set the overall output per scene. like click on the very last thing in Edit and set it's levels per scene. or i may be totally incorrect.

Here are the clean boost options listed in The Fractal Audio Wiki (link), which, along with the Axe-Fx user manual, is a great resource and answers a lot of questions at both the rookie and seasoned-veteran level.

Preset level: boosting volume level
Here are some methods to boost the signal level, i.e. for leads:

- Add a Filter block at the end of the chain, set to NullFilter with Level at (for example) 4 dB, and its Bypass state assigned to a switch.

- Use a PEQ or GEQ block with its Level turned up and assign the Filter's Bypass state to a switch.

- Use a pedal or switch to turn up the Input Drive, or Input Trim, or Master Volume of the Amp block.

- Boost the level at the input of the grid, using the Level parameter in the GTE/IN menu.

- Create a global "Boost" switch without having to modify each preset (source: Matman) as follows. Set the CC of an IA switch on the floor controller to OUT1 VOLUME. Set the OFF value to (for example) "111" (unboosted level) and set the ON value to "127" (boosted level). If you're using Output 2 as well, don't forget to add a second CC for OUT2 VOLUME, or assign OUT2 to the same CC as OUT1.

- Use a Scene for increased output level.

- Use an expression pedal.

I'm with Dbun, boost the output on a lead scene, this takes no x\y or extra blocks! does not use up scene controllers!

Back
Top Bottom