rolls rfx midibuddy

Conflict

Inspired
Just bought a midibuddy foot controller to change my axe fx patches for a gig tomorrow.
The manual says the controller does not need a power supply as it is phantom power, I have hooked it all up but nothing.
Do i need to change or turn on something in global settings?
Thanks guys.

hmmm ..... from the manual I see it likes its power on pins 1 and 3 - the Axe directs power to pins 6 and 7 of a 7 pin midi cable (when the power supply is plugged in via the Axe that is)

So you'd have to do a bit of surgery in the Axe to make it work on a 5 pin midi cable I think??

Just use the wall wart into the Rolls is my opinion!

Last edited:
IIRC the Midibuddy indeed uses a different phantom power system.
Also, don't forget that phantom always requires plugging in the power supply at the rear of the Axe.

so i need to buy a power supply for it to use it with axe fx slot on the rear of the unit
No way of powering it without a psu?

No - can't be powered without a psu. The psu either plugs into the back of the Axe in the special socket there above the midi ins/outs or direct into the Rolls.

But - I believe the Rolls will only accept power down the midi on pins 1 and 3 of a 5 pin midid cable - but the Axe is wired to supply power down a 7 pin midi cable on pins 6 and 7. This means your 5 pin normal midi cable won't supply the power via the psu through the Axe.

There are 5 to 7 pin midi cables out there - but I don't know which pins the power would end up in at the 5 pin end which plugs into the Rolls.

My advice given you've a gig coming up is just to grab a psu from somewhere and use it direct into the rolls. I used to use the Rolls (in an older model) and they can use any PSU from 7 - 15 v - 80MA - so I just used a 9V DC PSU I picked up in a toy shop - then got a bit of extra 2 core cable and extended it so I had the wall wart hidden away behind my amp and about 6 metres of 'extension' available to run to the Rolls

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom