Rolls PM50se - Stereo IEM feed without using 2 Aux sends?

ThrillGrill

We do not have enough Aux Sends on our board to do a stereo IEM mix. I've been struggling with my mono IEM sound (no one else cares but me) and really want to widen it a bit, keeping in mind I'm sending mono to FOH.

I had a thought (I'm not sure this will work) to use a Rolls PM50se as a hybrid mono/stereo mixer of sorts. The XLR in is mono, but the 1/4" in is stereo.

So my idea is this: Output 1 to FOH (mono). Output 2 to the 1/4" in on the Rolls (with stereo flavors built into the patch). I would then receive an Aux Mix to the Rolls XLR input with zero guitar mixed in. I could then have in effect:
  • Mono FOH
  • Band mix with no guitar
  • local stereo guitar for just me
  • the ability to blend them at my pedalboard
Has anyone else done this? Am I incorrect in assuming this will work?

1627359938129.png

I do that with my IEM receiver. I have a stereo system. One line from house to left channel w/out guitar and one out from FM3 into Right channel to receiver. Sounds good to me plus I can adjust my guitar in the mix from the FM3.

I do that with my IEM receiver. I have a stereo system. One line from house to left channel w/out guitar and one out from FM3 into Right channel to receiver. Sounds good to me plus I can adjust my guitar in the mix from the FM3.
That doesn't sound like you're getting a stereo FM3 mix which is what the OP is trying to achieve.

The more I think about it I'm only getting "half-stereo" per the manual which I suppose defeats the purpose. Does anyone know if I take output 2 left/right to a Y cable into the stereo 1/4" of the rolls, if I will get a stereo image?

The more I think about it I'm only getting "half-stereo" per the manual which I suppose defeats the purpose. Does anyone know if I take output 2 left/right to a Y cable into the stereo 1/4" of the rolls, if I will get a stereo image?
Yes, you will. I use my Rolls headphone amp for a stereo headphone mix in my studio. I’m doing the same thing you mentioned, using a dual TS to TRS “stereo split” cable.

@ThrillGrill - Sure thing.

I enjoy stereo in my ears even when just using stereo reverbs and delays. The good thing about this setup is that you can send one side to FOH, and it’s roughly a mono version of what you’re hearing in your ears. You don’t have to do any reworking of your patches.

If you want to dig a little deeper:

My go-to for widening is the enhancer in modern mode. This sounds huge in ears, even when used moderately. However, the enhancer block is mono-compatible, but if you only send one side of it to FOH, it makes some significant changes to your tone. It’s designed for both sides to work together. Since you are sending mono to FOH, you would want to either (A) tap the FOH output before the enhancer in your chain, or (B) send a summed (L+R) signal at the end of the chain. You’d have to tweak each of your patches to make this happen.

Another option is using separate cabs, hard-panned. This can sound great in your ears, too. Same deal though, if you’re sending mono to FOH, you’ve got to either (A) choose which cab sound will be sent to FOH or (B) sum the signals and send a blend.

Back
Top Bottom