Rokit 5, 6, or 8's for Axe

agent0

Which are best for the Axe. I hear some people don't like the 8's for their studio and I think people like the 6's except for the bass response. What will be the most accurate? What if i add a 10" sub. As you can probably tell, I'm a newb at the studio gear

I just got some Rokit 6's today and to me they are great. The bass sounds better than you think if you haven't tried them, but probably not the best for bass heavy music like rap (but even that sounds better than I thought).

More importantly, the Axe sounds frigging awesome compared to going through a cab or my old speakers, and the 6's get louder than I can enjoy in nearfield.

hk11 said:
I just got some Rokit 6's today and to me they are great. The bass sounds better than you think if you haven't tried them, but probably not the best for bass heavy music like rap (but even that sounds better than I thought).

More importantly, the Axe sounds frigging awesome compared to going through a cab or my old speakers, and the 6's get louder than I can enjoy in nearfield.

those 6's are sounding nice right now

I have 6's and wish I'd gone with the 8's or at least a sub. The bass response the 6s is not good at the low volumes they're intended to be run at -- I was always dialing in too much low end in my patches and then getting blown away when I ran my AxeFx full bore at rehearsal. I'm contemplating a sub, but I've heard the 6s + sub aren't really that great. You go from under hyped bass to over hyped bass.

I Probably should have bought Adam A7s. :)

I have a pair of KRK Rokit v2 6"s and I find the bass to be almost too much. No matter what monitors you have if you are dialing in tones at lower volumes the bass is going to be greater at higher levels just from the Fletcher Munson effect. There is really no way to compensate for it, it's just the nature of the beast. I've heard the 8" aren't so accurate. I have a sub with my 6s and i usually keep it off because the KRKs already handle the lowend and adding the sub is overkill.

But I would take the A7s though in a heart beat they are just in a league way above the Rokits

rsf1977 said:
I have a pair of KRK Rokit v2 6"s and I find the bass to be almost too much. No matter what monitors you have if you are dialing in tones at lower volumes the bass is going to be greater at higher levels just from the Fletcher Munson effect. There is really no way to compensate for it, it's just the nature of the beast. I've heard the 8" aren't so accurate. I have a sub with my 6s and i usually keep it off because the KRKs already handle the lowend and adding the sub is overkill.

But I would take the A7s though in a heart beat they are just in a league way above the Rokits

stupid question. Can you use those A7's for live. A no or a hell no?

Anything is possible, but i'd say no. They are designed for nearfield listening. Also they aren't designed to carry a room at high volumes or built to be manhandled. You'll need something designed for that purpose, typically PA speakers. There is plenty of opinions on what to use for that.

None of the speakers we're talking about work live. They're all nearfield monitors like guy above said.

iaresee said:
None of the speakers we're talking about work live. They're all nearfield monitors like guy above said.

Now I get it. Damn this is getting way too expensive. It looks like you need both a studio monitor and a PA speaker setup.

it all depends on what you need to do. If you are primarily using it live then you can get some PA type speakers and use it for gigs and if you don't mind it being a bit loud you can use them at home, it wouldn't be ideal but probably just as odd as using a half stack at shows and at home. I use like this Rokit 6s at home through my computer for recording and practice and live i use the AxeFx trougha power amp into a 4x12 guitar cabinet. I don't like the FRFR stuff live it just doesn't feel right for me, but tons of guys on here do and love it. There are many ways to use the axefx if you don't want to invest in a ton of gear.

And I don't use anything live. I run direct to FoH. I do have a Yorkville E10P here in case I need it but thus far it's collected dust. At home I mainly use Senn HD280Pro cans because of time of day constraints. And occasionally I'll get to let it rip with the R6SEs I have.

Back
Top Bottom