Rocktron HEX as expression for MFC-101

miki777

I'm looking to buying the expression pedals in advance, can anyone confirm that Rocktron HEX pedals are working as expression with MFC-101 with no modifications ? I just want to be sure, I saw that if going directly to the Axe that polarity has to be reversed. I'm looking to use them as expressions directly into MFC via TRS cable, plug&play :)

thx

HEX isn't ideal, at least for me, because it uses logarithmic pot. I'm in the process of replacing the pot with linear version but haven't finished the mod yet.

knoll said:
HEX isn't ideal, at least for me, because it uses logarithmic pot. I'm in the process of replacing the pot with linear version but haven't finished the mod yet.
Good point.

There are some cases where logarithmic is helpful right now. If you're assigning it to the input or output global volume control then you'll want a log taper pot since you can't control the taper from within the AxeFx for these parameters.

But yea, anything else and you'll be better off with linear taper for the pedal.

Must admit that I didn't know these facts ... so what is "the best" expression pedal for wah, whammy, volume ? Only Mission ?

miki777 said:
Must admit that I didn't know these facts ... so what is "the best" expression pedal for wah, whammy, volume ? Only Mission ?
Missions are great. I use EB expression pedals with linear pots in them because I prefer their pivot design over the CryBaby-type enclosure. Bit a personal preference thing really...

I dont see whats wrong with a HEx. Ive used one for nearly 2 years with no issues whatsoever. OK that is with a Rocktron All Access, so the polarity is right - but its not difficult to change the wires round on one side of the cabel.

As to the Log pot, Wy is that a problem? I get what log and linear pots are and unsderstand the theory, but when you sweep the Hex, the midi numbers scroll in a linear patten. I dont know if it has two pots (it has two O/Ps - one as a vol control O/P and one for expression) but t works with no issue.

The Mission pedals are great, but expensive - and for me? Im not sure of UK availability. Ernie balls Ive never seen in the UK either - it boiled down to a cheap behringer or Boss/Roland pedal that were big and had molded cables, or a HEX.

iaresee said:
knoll said:
Good point.

There are some cases where logarithmic is helpful right now. If you're assigning it to the input or output global volume control then you'll want a log taper pot since you can't control the taper from within the AxeFx for these parameters.

But yea, anything else and you'll be better off with linear taper for the pedal.
That is true. I just use Vol/Pan blocks where needed as it has the Volume Taper selection (linear, log 30a, log 15a, log 10a).

paulmapp8306 said:
I dont see whats wrong with a HEx. Ive used one for nearly 2 years with no issues whatsoever. OK that is with a Rocktron All Access, so the polarity is right - but its not difficult to change the wires round on one side of the cabel.
Where to start with my rip on the Hex pedal. I too used one with an All Access. It was not a well-built pedal.

First gripe: the full range of the pot can't be moved through with the pedal. I could either go from 7-128 on the All Access or from 0-121. I couldn't get a 0-128 sweep. The throw of the pedal was just a little too small for the pot in it, and of course, not being able to calibrate pedals on the All Access means there's no way to correct for this in the unit. This is a major design flaw with the All Access IMO, but the Hex pedal that came with my All Access just highlighted it every time I tried to use the thing.

Second gripe: the pedal can't be kept in toe up without maintaining pressure on it. At least: mine can't. It always falls back a bit. Means you can't maintain a 0 value output. So you can't every really use it to zero out your volume for example.

Third gripe: i just don't like where the pivot point is on Cry Baby style pedals. Feels wrong to me. I much prefer the more forward pivot of the EB pedals.

I could go on...

As to the Log pot, Wy is that a problem? I get what log and linear pots are and unsderstand the theory, but when you sweep the Hex, the midi numbers scroll in a linear patten. I dont know if it has two pots (it has two O/Ps - one as a vol control O/P and one for expression) but t works with no issue.
This can boil down to personal taste more than anything else. I prefer the linear throw and using the taper selection in the AxeFx to change up how the unit responds.

Fair comments, however its down to taste as well as tech.

Point 1. Mine didnt sweep 1-127 when new, but It can be calibrated straight from the Axe-FX. You dont do it from the All Access, that just passes on the Midi control. I have no problem using 0-127 once I did that.

Point 2. Again, when new mine kept "backing of" which wasnt an issue really as I use heal down for wah only - however there is an adjustment screw and once Id tightened that a little Ive had no problem, in fact I reverted to toe down for off with auto engage and had no problems.

Build wise, Ive not seen the EB or Mission pedals as there not available in the UK, but the Hex was better built that the Boss, Roland and Behringer pedals that were available.

Pivot point - I used a Cry baby in my amp days so Im used to the pivot point.

So - a couple of things are user preference - with me I cant get any of the "better" pedals to try, and as for the tech - if you cal it from the Axe, and tweek the friction know there are no problems.

Still vmmv etc.

paulmapp8306 said:
Fair comments, however its down to taste as well as tech.
Totally. 70:30 split taste:tech for sure. The Hex uses a classic shell that wears well and a lot of people love to rock.

Point 1. Mine didnt sweep 1-127 when new, but It can be calibrated straight from the Axe-FX. You dont do it from the All Access, that just passes on the Midi control. I have no problem using 0-127 once I did that.
Sorry, can elaborate on this? I posted here shortly after getting my All Access asking about calibrating pedals with the AA and it can't be done. There's no way to calibrate an external CC controller on the AxeFx that I can. I'm not keen to run this straight in to the back of the AxeFx -- is that what you're doing? AFAIK, that's the only way to get calibration with an AxeFx + Hex + All Access setup. Have you got another approach?

Point 2. Again, when new mine kept "backing of" which wasnt an issue really as I use heal down for wah only - however there is an adjustment screw and once Id tightened that a little Ive had no problem, in fact I reverted to toe down for off with auto engage and had no problems.
I'll have to look in to the friction screw adjustment. I did try, at one point, to tighten it up but couldn't find a spot where it wasn't either too lose or too tight. Unfortunately toe down doesn't help if you want to use it for volume control. ;)

Back
Top Bottom