RJM Music Technology Interviewed John Petrucci Guitar Tech Maddi !

Hyper Planet

Power User
Hey guys, about 3 weeks ago RJM Music Technology Interviewed Maddi, I asked 14 questions and RJM selected 6 of them.
The Interview has got 3 Parts and my questions is in part 3 [FAN Question Sections] , there is some cool and very good info about JP gear, stage issues, Studio Recording conditions and so on, CHECK THEM OUT !!!

Questions in part 1:

1- How did you come a tech?
2- How did you come to work for Petrucci
3- ending: Gear Disaster in Mexico which segways into recent gear !

http://www.audioacrobat.com/email/ENK53JNPT

Questions in part 2:

This part is more about JP gear and programming The Axe-Fx II from the scratch,
An issue between MASTERMIND and The Axe-Fx II working together,

My Questions in part 3

1- Do you ever asked John to give you a lesson ?

2- JP has a signature pick I think its thickness is close to 2.0mm, but does he use that pick for recording electric guitar clean sections and acoustic guitar sections? or he use a thinner pick ?, if yes which brand and model ?

3- In john's perspective, what's the most important element for adjusting his guitars? what's his action on 24th fret? and what about pickups' height from the high and low strings ? you will be surprise with Maddi answer about JP guitars action !!!

4- We see most guitar players are using Gruv Gear Fret Wrap in the studio condition, could you please tell us if John used it or anything like that ?

5- Does he use any effects on his OD tone, with delay or reverb while he's recording ?, for example could you please tell us how did he record 'The Best Of Times ' solo and 'Breaking The All Illusions' ?

6- Which Ernieball string model does he used for recording new DT album? M-Steel, Cobalt ... etc, and also which string and gauge for his acoustic guitars ?

All My Questions:

1- Hey Maddi could you please share some of JP Axe-Fx ll Boogies and Fx's patches on Axe-Change.com or Fractal Audio Forum ?

2- How john records the OD lines, for instance instrumental sections of Illumination Theory or Dark Eternal Night, is he take the lines in double tracks or just one line? stereo or mono?

3- Does he use any effects on his OD tone, with delay or reverb while he's recording ?, for example could you please tell us how did he record 'The Best Of Times ' solo and 'Breaking The All Illusions' ?

4- How many string pack does he mostly use for recording a song ? ,for instance for epic tracks like: 'Illumination Theory' and 'Bridges In The Sky', short songs structure like: 'The Enemy Inside' and 'The Looking Glass' ?

5- JP has a signature pick I think its thickness is close to 2.0mm, but does he use that pick for recording electric guitar clean sections and acoustic guitar sections? or he use a thinner pick ?, if yes which brand and model ?

6- In john's perspective, what's the most important element for adjusting his guitars? what's his action on 24th fret? and what about pickups' height from the high and low strings ?

7- Could you please tell us if John used any other Boogie amps in this NEW album or he just used Mark V and IIC+ ?

8- Which Ernieball string model does he used for recording new DT album? M-Steel, Cobalt ... etc, and also which string and gauge for his acoustic guitars ?

9- Do you think modern digital hardwares like Axe-Fx ll could be replaced with analog amp at one day ?

10- Are you interesting in playing the guitar ? if yes, do you ever asked John to give you a lesson ?

11- How do you and JP prepare yourself for unexpected matters on stage ? I mean for example, if a string brakes, if mic bop up to his face ... etc, do you talk about this matters before each show ?

12- Do you know if JP eat or use non-alcoholic drink, something special before the show in order to just a little bit calming himself, I saw a video of him in back stage of Budokan in which he advised Advil It's a must before the show, does he still using that ?

13- We see most guitar players are using Gruv Gear Fret Wrap in the studio condition, could you please tell us if John used it or anything like that ?

14- Could you please tell us which string gauge he's using for C and D Standard tuning ?

Thank you Maddi for your time ! :),

Hyper Planet

Last edited:
Not to tell you what's in your interview, but just to be clear, if you're referring to 1:40, Maddi says that Ron from MasterMind wrote custom firmware for the RJM. He does not say that Fractal did custom firmware for the Axe-Fx.

Not to tell you what's in your interview, but just to be clear, if you're referring to 1:40, Maddi says that Ron from MasterMind wrote custom firmware for the RJM. He does not say that Fractal did custom firmware for the Axe-Fx.

Yea you right, Edited !, as for the part 1 RJM told they will place it on you tube, bud part 2 N 3 is OK ! :). they placed it on you tube.

Back
Top Bottom