RJM Mastermind GT22, Rack Gizmo No Tuner Display

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi guys,

I need a bit of help.

I've recently updated my rack and swapped out a mini amp gizmo for a Rack gizmo. I'm using the AXE and the GT together.

Everything is working apart from one thing. When I hit the tuner switch on the GT to trigger the axe's tuner it mutes the output and switches the axe’s tuner function on but I get no display on the GT just a question mark.

I’ve turned on bi directional midi and I have the axe fx on midi chan 1 and the rack gizmo on chan 2. I also have realtime sysex data set to all on the axe fx.

The GT is connected to the front panel of the Rack gizmo using a 6 pin xlr 6 pin to xlr. I’m only using the Rack Gizmo to change amp functions at the moment, none of the audio loops are in use.

I have a midi lead plugged in from the axe’s midi in to the rack gizmo midi out/thru jack as well. I'm guessing this has something to with nothing being connected to the axe fx's midi thru port as no info is being sent back to the GT display? That means using a phantom power box right?

If this is the case can I still use the rack gizmo's front panel midi in to power and control the GT?

Or is there something I'm not doing?

Thanks guys

Paul

you need to add a 2nd action on your Tuner button (assuming 1st step is telling the Axe to change to tuner).

New Action, Type = System, Subtype = Tuner

should do it.

Reactions: yek
hmm, the Axe MIDI In is the bi-directional port.

can you trouble shoot by connecting that midi cable directly from the Axe Midi In to the MMGT Midi Out? i don't have a 22, so i'm not sure if you have to tell it what port to listen to ("XLR" vs MIDI ports).

i would guess that the Rack Gizmo is not passing the data through. if that's the case, you might need a midi splitter. i have no experience with any of the Gizmos though, so maybe there's something to be done there.

hmm, the Axe MIDI In is the bi-directional port.

can you trouble shoot by connecting that midi cable directly from the Axe Midi In to the MMGT Midi Out? i don't have a 22, so i'm not sure if you have to tell it what port to listen to ("XLR" vs MIDI ports).

i would guess that the Rack Gizmo is not passing the data through. if that's the case, you might need a midi splitter. i have no experience with any of the Gizmos though, so maybe there's something to be done there.

Hi Chris,

The only way to connect the axe directly to the GT is to use a phantom power box. I've connected that up and used a 6 pin XLR to midi 7 pin cable and that works fine like it did before using the mini amp gizmo.

This now bypasses the rack gizmo and makes my 6 pin xlr midi cables redundant as I can't use the front panel to connect that particular cable. if I now hooked up the Rack gizmo to the axe's midi in at the back and then run a cable from the phantom power box it should work. I was trying to eliminate using the phantom power box as the Rack Gizmo is more than capable to provide phantom power to the GT.

I've asked Ron at RJM any way will see what he thinks. There's no reason why it shouldn't work, it could just be a setting that isn't configured properly. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks again

Paul

The phantom box is so you can power the MMGT with the 7pin midi cable. You can still power the MMGT directly with the power adaptor and use a 5 pin midi cable for the communication.

Reactions: yek
Gotcha, I was trying to avoid using the power adaptor via my pedal board but if its just to test communication between the GT, rack gizmo and axe i'll give it a go. I'm at work now unfortunately so will give it a go later tonight.

Seems a bit weird though don't you think Chris? There's no reason why it shouldn't work?

Cheers
Paul

Back
Top Bottom