Rivera TBR.......thoughts? comments? suggestions?

Yet another noob here ....be gentle. Recently purchased an Axe (due to arrive any day). Contemplating what direction to go for an amp. Prior to purchasing the Axe, I was playing through a Rivera TBR-2SL. This has the same power section as the TBR-5 Hammer 320s. Never tried using this as a power amp, though I've been told it does work beautifully in that capacity also. Has anyone had any experience running the Axe through a Rivera? How did you run it? (amp and/or cab sims on/off? etc, so on and so forth) Or would I be better served purchasing a SS amp? One of my sticking points is the weight of this beast (4 rack spaces and in the neighborhood of 80 lbs). I was hoping to trim down the size and weight of my rig, but depending on whether it will improve (or perhaps detract from) the sound, I may be willing compromise on the weight. Please chime in with your ideas/experiences/comparisons/thoughts.............

Welcome!

The basic rule of thumb is to turn off cabs if using a real guitar cab (not FRFR), and turn off the power amp sims if using an amp that colors the tone a lot. Of course, rules are meant to be broken -- just try out your various combinations and use the ones that sound best to *you*. There's nothing hard and fast about how an AxeFx should be used (other than used A LOT!)

My aching back would definitely be voting against 80lbs for a power amp!:)

TT

Holy moly, blast from the past!

1996 (I still had hair!):

ScottOnstageA.jpg

I had a TBR-1SL and a TBR-2SL. MASSIVE amps with MASSIVE iron in them. Killer sounding too. I pushed four 4x12's with the 2SL so hard in our practice space one night (just jamming alone) that I got vertigo from the SPL's. LOL. Good times! :D

Sadly, I sold both in the late 90's so I can't answer your question. But if your goal is to trim down the size and weight of your rig... ;)

Hey Scott. Such fun aren't they? AFAIK, the TBR-2SLs had the same power section as the TBR-5 Hammers, right? Did you ever run just the power section of your TBR's with (or without) an external pre-amp? Seems like a silly question, I know. All the research I've read describes the Hammers as being "very linear with almost no tonal coloration" yet very "musical" because of the tubes. All in addition to a terrifying amount of headroom. If I'm right and the Hammer 320 and the TBR-2SL are basically the same monster under the hood, does it not sound like it could potentially be a nice sonic match-up for the Axe?

I took some lessons from Jason Bieler from Saigon Kick this past year. He uses the Fractal stuff these days, but I believe he used these amps in the Saigon Kick days. Always loved his tone.

I think you now hold the necro-thread-revival record! This one was dead 6.5 years ;)

Yeah, I just picked up a Rivera Hammer 320
(TBR-5) and am super impressed with the tone of the Axe fx running into it. It is heavier than any amp ever should be but worth the weight in sweet tone. It has more clean headroom than you will ever need. I highly recommend the Rivera TBR-5 to any axe fx user looking for tube warmth to power guitar cabs. I’m running all that power into my custom built, 300w stereo 2x12 and it’s just perfect. This thing will eat any other tube power amp for breakfast! I tried several others including the VHT 2/90/2 (which I also loved) but in the end I went for this beefy monster and couldn’t be happier. Felt the need to express my happiness and my opinion even if no one cares haha

Welcome!

The basic rule of thumb is to turn off cabs if using a real guitar cab (not FRFR), and turn off the power amp sims if using an amp that colors the tone a lot. Of course, rules are meant to be broken -- just try out your various combinations and use the ones that sound best to *you*. There's nothing hard and fast about how an AxeFx should be used (other than used A LOT!)

My aching back would definitely be voting against 80lbs for a power amp!:)

TT
Have to agree on the weight part but if your back can take it the tone and extra headroom are well worth the extra effort IMO

Back
Top Bottom