Rivera Knucklehead Preset

Channel 1 an 3 are doable on the axe imho but the special 'middy' character from channel 2 is a hard to reproduce i think with the amps we got now in the axe.
The knucklehead is a real live beast and cuts like a knife through the mix, loved it in the total sound , not so much standing on its own.

I have not tried my hand at any amp modeling yet but I may have to fire up my knucklehead and try to create a patch for it... It really is one of the most amazing tube amps on earth.

I've got a lovely mid 90's Knucklehead KH100 (with a faulty power transformer giving out 8.2V instead of 6.3V on the valve heater winding). I had it re- Capped and noticed the faulty transformer so don't turn it on any more just in case I blow the tubes.

It used to sound amazing along with the matching Rivera slanted 4x12 cab (hernia inducing...). It's pretty rare to have a blown one (as these things are built like tanks) but this *may* have been down to user error (me puling 2 of the power tubes for a more apartment friendly lower volume) :?

Live, this thing was a tone monster and really started cooking with amazing tone just before "earbleed" levels.

Channel 1 was more Fendery than a Fender and Channel 2 was more vintage Marshall than a vintage Marshall but with manners, all with clean switching and no pot noise (due to the clever construction using Photo Diodes/ Photo resistors).

I miss the tones that were available when using it live. I'm not gigging now and even if the amp was functional I wouldn't be able to replicate the tones at apartment levels (well, not without the police turning up......)

Yes, it'd be nice to have this model in the AXE but Cliff might need to model both CH1 and CH2 as they're physically different preamps. I did post in the Wish List thread ages ago about this but it didn't seem to cause much interest.....

I've been able to get what I think is close to channel 1 (Fender) using the "Buttery" amp model and close to Channel 2 (Marshall) using the JTM45 amp.

Last edited:
Sounds Good, but very different to how I remember my KH-100. I remember mine sounded a lot dried and a lot less gainy. Usually I had to push the front end (even with the gain maxxed) with a pedal to get any sort of solo tone.

I'm also interested in how you got along reducing the volume and cleaning up the sound.

Back
Top Bottom