RIP Robin Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
i asked a simple question. it was vague.

What kind of answer were you hoping to get?

Especially here (where we get countless threads opened up revolving around "I love my Axe II--It's amazing, it's cured my g.a.s, thank you, Cliff"), I don't see why it's such a big deal to have a thread in the off-topic section of the forum discussing memories / thoughts / feelings concerning this tragedy. Simply put, Robin Williams was a very talented and beloved actor and he will be missed by many.

Last edited:
I don't understand why this is so important.
I don't understand it either. It's as if people have their priorities in the wrong place. For example, there are hundreds if not thousands of innocent children being literally ripped apart from the massive bombing of Palestine, but the media is pretty much 24/7 talking about Robin Williams. Why is America's infatuation with celebrity so much more worthy of being in the news than waking people up about world atrocities. Is this being used in part as a distraction? I wonder. Feeling this way does not mean we don't have compassion - in fact quite the opposite. I have so much more to say but I don't want to make all the compassionate people hate me. All these sugery sweet comments makes my head swim.

When I experience a death of someone who has touched my life, I sigh THEN I make a point of remembering this... Life = student making memories and building bonds with others. Death = the graduation of life, and
letting the bonds feed your spirit as a master. Robin is now glowing with the full intensity of a million minds saying his name and smiling. Knowing that our lives have changed for the better just because he was here. With that in mind ... I read he died in the early morning.. that's why I always sleep till noon. (I think I just heard him chuckle) Smile ... and his spirit will too. Nano Nano!!

I don't understand it either. It's as if people have their priorities in the wrong place. For example, there are hundreds if not thousands of innocent children being literally ripped apart from the massive bombing of Palestine, but the media is pretty much 24/7 talking about Robin Williams. Why is America's infatuation with celebrity so much more worthy of being in the news than waking people up about world atrocities. Is this being used in part as a distraction? I wonder. Feeling this way does not mean we don't have compassion - in fact quite the opposite. I have so much more to say but I don't want to make all the compassionate people hate me. All these sugery sweet comments makes my head swim.

Really? I would have never guessed. :lol

Want to know what's worse than being "infatuated with celebrity"? Sitting there and acting like you're somehow better than these people who felt their lives were touched by someone through an art form just because you're aware that there are horrible things going on somewhere in the world.

wow. this is so completely offending to me and obviously meant for me personally.

i asked a simple question. it was vague.

you have NO idea what i've been through in my life.

maybe i'm asking because i'm considering a similar course of action. maybe i'm at the end of my rope.

found my dad dead in the backyard at 19. supported me and my mom alone till she died when i was 25. you must have thought mommy and daddy buy all my fancy guitar toys and pay for my life.

a little more life experience. hah. haha. goodbye.

Well, yes it was obviously meant for you seeing as it was addressed to you personally and posted in direct response to your question. I had no intention to offend you and I'm sorry that you took it that way.

From what you have written, and I have no reason to doubt it, then the fact that you posted your original question makes a lot more sense now. You obviously have your own way of dealing with things and clearly posted your question/comment in order to elicit a response, you knew that would happen, and it would give you an opportunity to vent some of the anger and frustration you obviously, and understandably, still carry.

You can be a bit spikey Chris, but you're certainly not stupid so don't pretend you are surprised. If your question was vague then you have to accept that my response was also vague. I just gave you what you were seeking, I hope it helped in some way. I wish you well in the future.

Don't come here to make a discussion about politics when it was meant to be about the life and passing of someone greatly admired. Any sane human being can mourn for whomever they choose, and still be up to date about other issues such as these "world atrocities" that we have no control over anyway. There is no distraction. There is just people trying to guilt others for feeling sorry about mourning for an individual just so they can try and justify their own views on some political argument or feud that they barely understand themselves yet somehow manage to argue vaguely over.

Robin was a household name, perhaps in the top hundred famous people. Everyone has seen him on TV or in films.

Had he died of a heart attack, the coverage would be less so, but the media is actively pursuing the story because it was a suicide. The coverage was just as intense for Michael Jackson's death, more so for Princess Diana.

Perhaps this will become a teachable moment where America breaks from its prejudge against mental illness, and if it does, Robin will inadvertently bring happiness to millions more, even in death.

This is funny to me: you are concerned with Palestine, yet FAR MORE kids are being killed in Syria and Iraq by ISIS and Assad, not to mention those in Africa. Palestine's losses are utterly DWARFED by those. Odd how everyone freaks when Jews kill Arabs, not so much when Arabs kill Arabs, and apparently not at all when Africans kill Africans... Your priorities make no sense to me at all - if it's HUMAN SUFFERING that is your primary concern.

On another topic: WTF - wasn't this supposed to be a thread about a very sweet, smart, funny guy who took his own life?

+1000
Robin was a household name, perhaps in the top hundred famous people. Everyone has seen him on TV or in films.

Had he died of a heart attack, the coverage would be less so, but the media is actively pursuing the story because it was a suicide. The coverage was just as intense for Michael Jackson's death, more so for Princess Diana.

Perhaps this will become a teachable moment where America breaks from its prejudge against mental illness, and if it does, Robin will inadvertently bring happiness to millions more, even in death.

Your statement presumes that people can only be concerned about a single thing at a time. This is clearly a fallacy. To be concerned about the death of Robin Williams doesn't mean anyone in this thread is unconcerned with anything else. We're just not talking about all the things we're all concerned with at any time all in one thread.

If you desire a thread to discuss the things you're most concerned about then I suggest you create it and avoid the threads that discuss the things you are not concerned about rather than shitting on the people who are participating in them; the general happiness of you and everyone else would be better served.

Bombings in Palestine, beheaded children in Kurdistan, race riots in America...

hey, I heard Whitney Houston died.

On topic: I really liked Robin Williams. I'll miss seeing him in movies. He did a lot of great stuff for the USO, and as a vet I appreciate that. If he was having troubles in life, I can sympathize, but I have no sympathy for suicide. That's reserved for the family & friends of people who commit suicide.

Silly.jpg

thread_direction_max600.gif

58sg.gif

post-3122-0-32449000-1328795489.jpg

USMC_Trev, try some Sports Illustrated pics. It's the only proven fool proof way to diffuse any type of situation and snap the male psyche out of fighting mode... :D

The death of Robin Williams is helping to teach people that with severe depression it isn't a "selfish act" that this person committed suicide. The fact is he dealt with a lot of mental illness, and I'm not even sure if you could say he made the decision to kill himself properly due to the severe mind altering illnesses that took control over his consciousness. Robin Williams dealt with Bipolar disease and depression, which we know today depression is attributed to chemical imbalances and not someone throwing themselves a pity party, which leads me to think of this as more so the depression being the causation of the death versus him making any rational choice in taking his life. If someone were to make the choice to commit suicide, I would now see it differently for instance someone who would choose to be a "martyr" such as suicide bombers who are being used in warfare today and terrorist actions.

An article that would be in stark contrast to my view that I'm undertaking more after this incident can be found here: Robin Williams didn't die from a disease, he died from his choice - The Matt Walsh Blog

Disclaimer: the author of that blog is hated by mostly anyone whose ever heard of him or read any of his articles, which is mostly due to how much of an idiot he is.

I've never been that mentally ill, but it's quite clear to me that a guy so full of life, who CLEARLY loved his kids so much, and would never, ever want to hurt them, clearly wasn't 'in his right mind' when he killed himself. This wasn't an attack of petulant self-pity, this was manifestly a case of a severe mind-altered state, a type of insanity, that I cannot comprehend, having never experienced it, but I can have empathy for. Your remarks below are quite eloquently well-stated. Thank you.

The death of Robin Williams is helping to teach people that with severe depression it isn't a "selfish act" that this person committed suicide. The fact is he dealt with a lot of mental illness, and I'm not even sure if you could say he made the decision to kill himself properly due to the severe mind altering illnesses that took control over his consciousness. Robin Williams dealt with Bipolar disease and depression, which we know today depression is attributed to chemical imbalances and not someone throwing themselves a pity party, which leads me to think of this as more so the depression being the causation of the death versus him making any rational choice in taking his life. If someone were to make the choice to commit suicide, I would now see it differently for instance someone who would choose to be a "martyr" such as suicide bombers who are being used in warfare today and terrorist actions.

An article that would be in stark contrast to my view that I'm undertaking more after this incident can be found here: Robin Williams didn't die from a disease, he died from his choice - The Matt Walsh Blog

Disclaimer: the author of that blog is hated by mostly anyone whose ever heard of him or read any of his articles, which is mostly due to how much of an idiot he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom