RIP Kirk Douglas

Dang. 103 is a MONSTER run though. I'll be lucky to get that much time on earth with family and friends.

I was thinking the same thing. If I make it to 103, I’d be just over halfway there.

I know it wasn’t an Oscar winning movie, but I like the movie The Final Countdown.

2C7E4D89-301E-4B3F-A2AA-6923F27ECE3E.jpeg

My granma is 94, not completely lucid but strong...pointing for 100 or more. That generation is completely different, what they eat, did, even they pass through 2 WW’s and still fighting for life. I hope at least reach the 80’s but I don’t think so... I told her about Kirk and quickly exclaimed Spartacus and after she ask me about Burt Lancaster and I try to explain... RIP Kirk

I remember a funny story about Kirk Douglas son, Eric that happened at the Edinburgh Festival (or could be the comedy club) a few years ago.

Eric was an aspiring comedian and had a spot at the Edinburgh Festival, to do his jokes etc in front of the crowd. One thing anyone should bear in mind when performing at the Edinburgh Festival, is that the hecklers can be funnier than the act and in Eric's case, this was, for him very true.

So, after about 10 minutes of crap jokes where nobody laughed, Eric started to get agitated, especially as the murmers and boo's started from around the room. After about another 10 minutes of the crowd rolling their eyes and booing, Eric made a huge mistake.

He "lost it" and started shouting at the crowd.

He shouted "hey I'm funny" and then .... "Don't you know who I am .... I'm the son of Kirk Douglas .... !!!!"

Then one by one each person in the audience shouted "No.... I'm Kirk Douglas Son !" and stood up, then the next and then the next.

I was thinking the same thing. If I make it to 103, I’d be just over halfway there.

I know it wasn’t an Oscar winning movie, but I like the movie The Final Countdown.

View attachment 63254

I LOVE the Final Countdown. As time travel movies go it was quite original, as it didn't involve space ships, it gave the Nimitz commander a great dilemma, had the nice aerial combat shots between the Tomcats and the Zero's, plus I think it was a perfect example of time travel. Nimitz goes back in time, leaves people behind that end up creating the Nimitz, thus creating a perfect loop.

RIP Kirk Douglas!

I LOVE the Final Countdown. As time travel movies go it was quite original, as it didn't involve space ships, it gave the Nimitz commander a great dilemma, had the nice aerial combat shots between the Tomcats and the Zero's, plus I think it was a perfect example of time travel. Nimitz goes back in time, leaves people behind that end up creating the Nimitz, thus creating a perfect loop.

RIP Kirk Douglas!

Well said! You hit the nail on the head. Those are all the reasons I really enjoyed the movie. I forgot about the crew members that were left behind. I think it’s time to watch it agin.

The causal loop thing is why I like Terminator 1 way more over Terminator 2, even though the latter is a perfect action movie in every way. But in T1 Skynet goes back in time to stop John Connor from defeating him, causing Kyle Reese to go back in time to save John's mother and ends up fathering John Connor. Thus by going back in time Skynet creates the enemy that defeats him. Skynet could have won by not sending the T-800 back in time. Perfect causal loop. Whereas with T2 they go all grandfather paradox by stopping Skynet from being created. Which makes for a nice happy ending, but no Skynet equals no Kyle Reese equals no John Connor, ergo John Connor should have been obliterated from reality.

Time travel is confusing, and quite hard to pull off convincingly in a story. Best to keep it simple by going for the causal loop. Ergo T1 and Final Countdown and Kirk Douglas for the win!

Back
Top Bottom