RIP : Keith Emerson

So i heard someone say "Apparently he offed himself or something". Not sure what to make of that statement..
According to CNN- "Keith Emerson's death is currently being investigated as a suicide," said Sgt. Erika Aklufi of the Santa Monica Police Department.

So so so sad. Legendary concerts in the 70's!!!! ELP was a great great show! Greg Lake with haunting vocals and guitar work. Carl Palmer was/is one if not the very best drummers I have ever seen live and I have seen quite a few. Keith Emerson was in my humble opinion the most talented keyboard player from the rock era. His classical and jazz training and influences were ever present and his showmanship was off the charts.

As someone earlier posted, the 1974 Brain Salad Surgery show at the Anaheim Convention Center in quad surround was spectacular!

Keith's talent, inspiration, and creativity will be sorely missed.

Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery and Trilogy have been staples of my listening since I was a lad. Without ELP, there'd be no Dream Theater. A loss keenly felt.

This one hit me hard. On of my biggest musical influences.

When I seriously committed to get good on guitar I spent most of my time learning and transcribing Keith's keyboard lines on my guitar. Years later I realized I was learning from the greatest composers of all time.

Keith seriously did more to expose classical music to the masses than anyone. Here's a list of his "quotes".
http://www.brain-salad.com

ELP was the first concert ticket I ever bought back in 1974. Met Keith and Carl at a hotel swimming pool in Salt Lake City. Greg was in jail for skinny dipping in the fountain. Keith was reading a John Steinbeck novel.
A Greg Lake song once saved my life, but that's a different story.

RIP Keith. I hope you died knowing that the show will never end.

Problem is there is no changing of the guard, no definitive new groundbreaking talent to replace the legends. The musical vacuum is increasing. That's the part that troubles me.

I'm with you here; I've been saying just that for some time now as well. In a few years none of the musicians from the musical era that I love the most (70's) will be touring or alive and that's a real bummer.

RIP Keith Emerson, perhaps the most iconic rock keyboard player ever and a real original...a true talent from an era we'll never see again. I hope you and Jon Lord are making B3's roar!!

Greg Lake with haunting vocals and guitar work. Carl Palmer was/is one if not the very best drummers I have ever seen live and I have seen quite a few. Keith Emerson was in my humble opinion the most talented keyboard player from the rock era

I was fortunate to have seen ELP as well and very much agree with you. I sat directly in the second row in front of Carl Palmer and couldn't take my eyes off of him. He had such feel and precision I was completely amazed at watching him. Drummers usually don't captivate me but he was 'magic'...I also agree with you in that he was the best drummer I've ever seen live. Great band and huge talents...a highlight in my musical experience for sure.

Back
Top Bottom