RIP John Prine.

I was just in the middle of posting a video and similar dialog about John Prine. I grew up plying acoustic guitar only until my middle 20's or so. This guy was one of my favorites. A true storyteller....
So sad........Damn virus................
RIP John

Having grown up and started my fledgling teenage performance career in the midst of Chicago’s great folk/roots music boom of the late sixties/early 70s, I was able to witness and participate in great live acoustic coffeehouse gigs with John and his brilliant collaborator Steve Goodman , and their talent and quirky charisma was clear before either had recorded a single session ..Both gone now, but the songs ring truer than ever.

The really in love couples at the bar always get up and slow dance to Angel From Montgomery. It’s a truth-revealing song.

Over the years, I've often pondered the choice of the word "Montgomery". If you sit down to write a lyric, that's like the worst possible city name to use in that chorus. It has an awkward number of syllables and meter. If logic prevailed, it should have been discarded immediately for another city name. Yet you listen to the song and that word is undeniably magic and transcendent. Like much of Prine's work, it's an unqualified triumph of the human spirit.

Over the years, I've often pondered the choice of the word "Montgomery". If you sit down to write a lyric, that's like the worst possible city name to use in that chorus. It has an awkward number of syllables and meter. If logic prevailed, it should have been discarded immediately for another city name. Yet you listen to the song and that word is undeniably magic and transcendent. Like much of Prine's work, it's an unqualified triumph of the human spirit.
I put a Prine mix on the stereo yesterday afternoon and let it roll for a few hours. His lyrics are undeniable amazing. From whimsical to cereberal to down right shockingly filthy. He had an increible way of making words tell stories in unexpected ways.

Back
Top Bottom