RIP JJ Cale

I still remember where I was when I learned about JJ Cale for the first time.

I was newly 21 and in Beach, ND, which is a super tiny town, and I went to a bar where this old dude who owned the place had a full band's worth of gear setup in the corner. Nobody else was in the bar, so my friend and I struck up a conversation with the owner. As it turns out, the gear in the corner is for whoever want to jam. I got a massive lesson in blues that night, from "you ever hear of JJ Cale" to "ahhh son, this is how you play the blues". Changed my life.

I still remember where I was when I learned about JJ Cale for the first time.

I was newly 21 and in Beach, ND, which is a super tiny town, and I went to a bar where this old dude who owned the place had a full band's worth of gear setup in the corner. Nobody else was in the bar, so my friend and I struck up a conversation with the owner. As it turns out, the gear in the corner is for whoever want to jam. I got a massive lesson in blues that night, from "you ever hear of JJ Cale" to "ahhh son, this is how you play the blues". Changed my life.

Great story, Sid.

Au contraire... without Clapton JJ Cale may have moved on to other things outside of music...
From the Wiki:

Cale was born on December 5, 1938, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.[1] He was raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and graduated from Tulsa Central High School in 1956. Along with a number of other young Tulsa musicians, Cale moved to Los Angeles in the early 1960s, where he first worked as a studio engineer.[3] Finding little success as a recording artist, he later returned to Tulsa and was considering giving up the music business until Clapton recorded Cale´s "After Midnight" in 1970

In some small gesture of homage I plugged in my Clapton Strat tonight and then went into the AxeFXII Bassman preset with a round of " After Midnight" and "Cocaine". JJ Cale's songs were fairly simple but nonetheless quite a few prominent musicians covered them after Clapton. One of my first LP's ever purchased was Lynyrd Skynrd's album with " Call Me the Breeze"

I feel real sad. A real lost. But in the end we all go.

I did not use to like his music when I was younger but I had really come to like it over say the last 5 years. I use to like Punk, Rock, Hard Rock. It took me the time to get "wiser" to like his music:D. I find his song are full of freedom, experiences and beatniks.

Just for cultural knowledge a French movie called "la femme de mon pote" (the wife of my mate) as only J.J. Cale songs for its music. He was much appreciated here, the press is full of the sad news JJ Cale, légende de la guitare, est mort

He'll sure be remembered for his rich and creative legacy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom