Rig Planning

I am in the stages of financial planning for my "dream rig". I plan to acquire in the following order (with the exception of cables needed).

This is how far I have gotten:

Axe Fx II XL (2 rack units $2600? + $225 insurance)
Rack (5 units? Cost?)
Monster 2500 (1 rack unit $200)
Vafam panel (2r units? Connections?)
MFC 101 ($750 + $75 insurance)
2 CLR wedges ($1000 each)
2 Mission SP-1's ($129 each, with spring on one?)
Cables? (Cost?)
Ext4MFC (Cost?)

Cables needed are one thing I have questions about. I want the MFC to have a road worthy connection and wonder about cable length even though I probably won't be farther than 10 feet away from the Rack. Until I obtain the CLR's, I plan to use 4CM with my current amp and would like to pretty much buy every cable I need on the day I order the Axe FX. I figure I'll need 4 XLR cables for CLR's and FOH. Another words, I would love advice on cables so I can plan accordingly (with pro's and con's on home and live experiences.

As for the VAFAM panel, I have read where users have wished to have put more connections on the panel than they ordered. My main goal for the panel is to not have to open the back of the rack at shows, so I'm thinking I'll need to have 3 power outs (One for power conditioner, 2 for CLR's) on the panel. Plus however the MFC is connected, FOH outs, CLR outs, then whatever else. I would love advise on the panel with experiences.

Advice on rack would be appreciated. From what I understand the Axe is "deeper" than most rack gear. Should there be empty spaces above power conditioner and Axe for heat dissipation?

Finally, regarding the Mission SP-1. I love the idea of being able to use an expression pedal to physically turn on and off an effect, and when used as a volume pedal I could use the switch to turn on and off another effect. I can't foresee needing a third expression pedal (I use none as of now) so advice? I understand there is an auto-engage function, I just feel an actual switch would work better. What I can't figure out I if I would want the spring. Mostly one pedal would be no spring (volume) but the other would be used to simulate my Boss PS-5 in the momentary setting (dive up or down one or two octaves). The spring would be better for that or should I just use a momentary IA with damping to control the "speed" or "feel"? Just trying to figure out and learn as much as possible to get the learning curve of the Axe under control while also buying the correct equipment from the get go.

Only other question I can think of is about the CLRs. I noticed they have dual channels... what is the point of that?

Thanks in advance forum members.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

In terms of cables. Look at humbuster cables which I believe are Fractal exclusive, and provide a much improved hum cancelling. I’ve heard of companies making them but I ended up making mine myself from TRS cables. Also, the Axe FX 2 have two different outputs, but only balanced on output 1 so you’ll need XLR’s to FOH, but I would assume they provide them, the house PA has always provided them for me. And then I use my own humbuster cables connected from Output 2 to my FRFR speaker (Yamaha DXR-10 in my case). Please see: Humbuster cables - Axe-Fx II Wiki for more info on humbuster cables.

With the SP-1. You’ll get 2 outputs. One which is the normal expression pedal output, and one with the switch, engaged/disengaged. One the back on the MFC, you have 4 expression pedal inputs, and 2 TRS (stereo) switch inputs. To connect the SP-1, you’d connect the expression pedal output to the MFC expression pedal input, and the switch button on the SP-1 to one of the switch inputs on the MFC.

If you’re planning to get the Ext4MFC, that takes up both TRS switch inputs, which in your case means that you can’t also use the SP-1 as you don’t have sufficient inputs on the MFC for effective 4 buttons of the Ext4MFC and 2 buttons on the SP-1s. Now, there’s nothing stopping you from using EP-1’s instead and assign one of the buttons on the Ext4MFC or on the MFC to change function on either of the EP-1s. You can for instance have a button that switches the EP-1 from a Wah to a Whammy if you want. But with the suggested things above you will run out of switch inputs on the MFC.

I use a Pedaltrain-2 for my MFC with 2 EP-1’s. I’ve also added 2 extra 2-button switches and 2 extra mini-controllers from Shop | T1M EFFECTS. This setup gives me the maximum number of inputs available and still being able to fit it all on a PT2.

IMG_2682_zps2e92485c.jpg

I love the look of your setup, I've seen it on the forum before. I forgot to add in a pedalboard/case on my OP. I use a SKB ps55 right which I doubt would work (won't need the weight of the electronics in it anyway). My understanding was that the sp-1 could be hooked up to two expression pedal outs with the button basically controlling the min and max parameters. Am I wrong? I thought thats how KatsuKuri had it in his video I saw (apologies for the spelling, if it's wrong, lol).

As for the cables to FOH, I want to always have a backup just in case, lol. For the last fews years I've carried a suitcase with odds and ends "just in case". Usually dont need the things in it, but have saved other bands asses before, lol.

Indeed, seems that you can use one of the four expression pedal inputs for additional switches as well. I’ve never used that but from what I’ve seen on the forum, Chris is never wrong and his videos are excellent :)

Yes, I have the SP1 pedal and connect it to two expression pedal inputs on my MFC. Also, once you get to playing with the Axe+MFC, then you'll find out whether you'll actually need the Ext4MFC. In my case I even have 3 or 4 buttons to spare because I lay out the scenes of all my presets beforehand.

As for the Vafam panel, depends on what ports you use and want to bring to the front. Discuss with Hans (from Vafam), he'll be happy to think with you. Check the length of the cables so everything will fit in and around whatever you put in your rack, especially the power cables (mine fit, but I wouldn't have minded them to be a little longer).

I literally just found the "Custom Rack Panel" thread and am reading it right now (thanks wiki editors). I know some might believe that I am putting the "cart before the horse" but in the Army there was a saying: Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. I just want to plan out as much as I can. I already have 5 presets with up to 5 scenes each planned for 5 of my band's songs. Also have a general preset planned to get my current sound and a couple of IA's set on paper as to where they would be on the MFC. My goal to to hit the ground running the day I receive the Axe.

That'll come after I am able to sell my two pedalboards, 18 pedals, 3 amps, and one cab, lol. If I started fucking around from the start, I'd never finish the first preset to any finished song.

Just saying. People switching from the analogue realm tend to think traditional with their virtual rigs. And there's nothing wrong with that, really. But it's somehow limiting aswell.
Things like parallel routings, crossfading amps, abusing modifiers, ... it's all that fancy stuff that makes the Axe really stand out.
You know ... thinking with portals.

Back
Top Bottom