Rick Beato Interviewing Steve Lukather.

Indeed - there was a kind of relaxing therapy in the ritual of it, though I don't miss having to put a carefully calibrated stack of quarters on the tone arm to keep it balanced (apologies to vinyl audiophiles here - I never got past owning the Radio Shack "good" system back in the day...

View attachment 114720
Ive actually gotten into vinyl again in the past few years. nothing audiophile mind you but I was buying RSD releases and realized I needed something to listen to all of it so I picked up these two pieces and for me they are prefect

https://www.andoveraudio.com/produc...r-system?_atid=91I7tIP0rTp7PxwA3Sl3YGOTfZklUA

https://www.audioadvice.com/andover-audio-spindeck-turntable+color-Black

Some more old timer reminiscing. I remember even after having a drivers license, but no car walking with a friend at least once a week (sometimes more) about 3 miles to the closest record store and spending a couple hours just flipping through the albums and cassettes looking for anything new and listening to the music being played over the store system. Also, deciding which of the 5 I pulled that day I would spend my limited funds. It was fun pulling out something I never heard of and seeing who was on it and taking a chance. Back then it was a very good chance it would be great. Found out about a bunch of new stuff that way.

I agree the streaming services use algorithms and other such demographic formulas to decide what will be pushed or even what is available. Also as said I seem to be unable to have the same experience with searching and then deciding which of the couple dozen versions to choose and then listen.

Ive actually gotten into vinyl again in the past few years. nothing audiophile mind you but I was buying RSD releases and realized I needed something to listen to all of it so I picked up these two pieces and for me they are prefect

https://www.andoveraudio.com/produc...r-system?_atid=91I7tIP0rTp7PxwA3Sl3YGOTfZklUA

Odd you mention this. I have been thinking about the same as a sort of project thing. Much of music I love is coming out on vinyl and it would be cool to support that part of the industry.

Having an electronics background I even thought about building a tube power system. I’m bit undecided about that due to some of recent issues with tubes.

It's the whole iTunes, Spotify world we live in now. There is really no effort put into making a great front to back album anymore, its all about the one song that will make $ and everything else for the most part is just mediocre filler if they even do a full album.

I sometimes think that yea I'm the problem also, that all of a sudden I got old and I'm the guy yelling at kids to get off my lawn lol, but I also think that's why I don't find myself listening to much new stuff anymore and I focus on the older music I grew up with and the handful of artist that are still putting out new music that I will listen to.
Music services have changed things for me. I didn't have much of a record/cd budget in my 70s/80s youth, then later I had $ but no time. Now I have more time and a music service which has got me into going deep on Artist Catalogues I did not know in detail back in the day - stuff like GV above, Steely Dan, older Fleedwood Mac, Rush, Sabbath, ... love having that deep access - so many tracks that got by me when all I'd have is one or two of an artist's albums or a greatest hits - I do wish they'd provide full rez pix of all the original album liner notes and graphics since it's now within the digital realm of possibility. Toto another good example - I was first exposed to Toto while playing CB radio tag as a 17yo - CB Radio tag was game where by a few of us would drive around in pairs, in separate cars all night, trying to find each other just using the signal strength meter on CB radio - so lots of driving around the city for hours doing not much of anything with final destination having Chinese food at 3am. Anyway, my friend had the first Toto album like permanently installed in his car's cassette deck always playing - and he loved to keep requeuing "Hold the Line" - now I cannot hear that song without being transported back to CB radio tag lol!

I've thought about going back to vinyl for warmth of tone that I remember, but man the price of vinyl - expensive.

Some more old timer reminiscing. I remember even after having a drivers license, but no car walking with a friend at least once a week (sometimes more) about 3 miles to the closest record store and spending a couple hours just flipping through the albums and cassettes looking for anything new and listening to the music being played over the store system. Also, deciding which of the 5 I pulled that day I would spend my limited funds. It was fun pulling out something I never heard of and seeing who was on it and taking a chance. Back then it was a very good chance it would be great. Found out about a bunch of new stuff that way.

I agree the streaming services use algorithms and other such demographic formulas to decide what will be pushed or even what is available. Also as said I seem to be unable to have the same experience with searching and then deciding which of the couple dozen versions to choose and then listen.
Record stores were a prized outing for sure. Up here (Canada) we had Sam The Record Man - the place would be packed on a Friday night - really hopping. I remember a lot of now iconic albums at first release - they would have a mountain of them stacked in the middle of the store. As a kid with paper route and limited $ + not knowing a lot of the history related to many of these bands I'd often choose albums to buy just by the look of the cover and the infectious interest of people in the store looking at it - was like "wow man, what's this with the prism n the light going thru it? - everybody's getting this! - $3.99, k, I'll give it a try!...". Back then, there were no remote ways to know about, or participate in, any kind of event, hype or buzz - you had to go out, be there, with people, interacting, at some sort of.. "happening" (though that word, used in that way, was a few years dated by the early 70s)

Last edited:
Music services have changed things for me. I didn't have much of a record/cd budget in my 70s/80s youth, then later I had $ but no time. Now I have more time and a music service which has got me into going deep on Artist Catalogues I did not know in detail back in the day - stuff like GV above, Steely Dan, older Fleedwood Mac, Rush, Sabbath, ... love having that deep access - so many tracks that got by me when all I'd have is one or two of an artist's albums or a greatest hits - I do wish they'd provide full rez pix of all the original album liner notes and graphics since it's now within the digital realm of possibility. Toto another good example - I was first exposed to Toto while playing CB radio tag as a 17yo - CB Radio tag was game where by a few of us would drive around in pairs, in separate cars all night, trying to find each other just using the signal strength meter on CB radio - so lots of driving around the city for hours doing not much of anything with final destination having Chinese food at 3am. Anyway, my friend had the first Toto album like permanently installed in his car's cassette deck always playing - and he loved to keep requeuing "Hold the Line" - now I cannot hear that song without being transported back to CB radio tag lol!

I've thought about going back to vinyl for warmth of tone that I remember, but man the price of vinyl - expensive.

Record stores were a prized outing for sure. Up here (Canada) we had Sam The Record Man - the place would be packed on a Friday night - really hopping. I remember a lot of now iconic albums at first release - they would have a mountain of them stacked in the middle of the store. As a kid with paper route and limited $ + not knowing a lot of the history related to many of these bands I'd often choose albums to buy just by the look of the cover and the infectious interest of people in the store looking at it - was like "wow man, what's this with the prism n the light going thru it? - everybody's getting this! - $3.99, k, I'll give it a try!...".
By no means am I saying that music services are bad for the most part, as I use iTunes and I have an expensive library on that) but none of the others but they did change how music is made. But yes my favorite pastime used to be going to a local record store picking up whatever and then popping the cassette into my deck and causing around just soaking in the latest album. And yea I agree vinyl prices are crazy. I picked up the Ozzy boxset a few years ago and while worth it to me it was a bit insane spending 500 on it, I also have all of the Metallica anniversary boxsets.

He kind of repeats more or less the same anecdotes from interview to interview, and even I also read his book, but I can't get tired of it, the guy and his stories are Legend .... wait for it ..... I love people like him giving a shit about political correctness in interviews.

I am also jealous of his hair.

Long life to Lukather.

Loved the interview and watched in full. Here is my random oddball question for the day. Steve and Rick got into talking about a musician named Dean Parks who I am not familiar with. They highlighted how Dean's note choices were amazing and all that good stuff. We hear this alot about a player's note choices. But At what point does one's note choices not improve or have diminishing returns? I mean there is not an infinite number of amazing note choices. What is the limit for amazing note choices?

Loved the interview and watched in full. Here is my random oddball question for the day. Steve and Rick got into talking about a musician named Dean Parks who I am not familiar with. They highlighted how Dean's note choices were amazing and all that good stuff. We hear this alot about a player's note choices. But At what point does one's note choices not improve or have diminishing returns? I mean there is not an infinite number of amazing note choices. What is the limit for amazing note choices?
He is one of the original Session guys, not many people know of them but at one point or another everyone has heard them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Parks

Its kinda like with Steve if he hadn't formed Toto with the others would he be as widely known as he is.

I would say if you consider not just pitch but rhythm, phrasing, musical context, articulation, etc there are a lot more variables.

I would say if you consider not just pitch but rhythm, phrasing, musical context, articulation, etc there are a lot more variables.
I get that but I guess what im saying is it's not like anyone can develop any new note choices. And believe me, Im not trying to discredit this musician or anyone with a great ear/musical vocabulary. Great note choices, outside note choices, etc all sound great to me. Idk i guess im alone in that thought then

I get that but I guess what im saying is it's not like anyone can develop any new note choices. And believe me, Im not trying to discredit this musician or anyone with a great ear/musical vocabulary. Great note choices, outside note choices, etc all sound great to me. Idk i guess im alone in that thought then
For me it's like speakng in any given language. The words list is the same for all, but we have unlimited variations of speaking style from dramatic to funny to crazy to boring to ... millions of unique talkers, all choosing from the same word list but each having their own signature style of presentation. When do the returns of a given set of words start to diminish? Perhaps once a point has been made in whatever style it was presented. Some styles (ie SL) seem quite brilliant.

Last edited:
For me it's like speakng in any given language. The words list is the same for all, but we have unlimited variations of speaking style from dramatic to funny to crazy to boring to ... millions of unique talkers, all choosing from the same word list but each having their own signature style of presentation. When do the returns of a given set of words start to diminish? Perhaps once a point has been made in whatever style it was presented. Some styles (ie SL) seem quite brilliant.
i can get on board with that explanation!

Back
Top Bottom