RG550MXX 20th Anniversary resale value

Narzugon

Power User
A friend is selling a mint condition RG550MXX 20th Anniversary with OHSC and candy. At first I was excited about it as I owned one of the original ones back in the day. I attempted to research the value of these guitars but am coming up fairly dry. Reverb has very few listed and history on reverb looks to be $700 to $1k but doesn't appear to be a lot of sales. Ebay's history isn't any better.

I've noticed the RG550 Genesis models which are currently in production resale around the same price. Does anyone have any experience with these or know if the 20th Anniversary's are any more or any less desirable than the Genesis model?

1. What someone is asking has no impact on value- unless it's cheaper than what someone is offering it at- then it's overpriced.

2. PT Cruiser was the most popular and valuable car in 2001, limited edition- sold for $5000 over sticker price.
Chrysler then decided based on it's popularity to continue it- and tanked the value to nothing.

Guitar companies do this worse than car companies... I would put the MMX exactly what a regular reissue goes for and that's $550 used

The 20th anniversaries were not prestige level or particularly special- I have the S one in yellow-

They seem to be trending DOWN in value, with the most selling for $750- and plenty in the 550-650 range

So $750 used guitar? I'd not pay more than $500 for

Because if you go on craigslist in your city- you can buy a $1000 used guitar for 500 all day- so look at it as a financial transaction and business- not because you like or love the guitar-- when you look at it like that- your collection will make you money instead of costing you money.

The 20th anniversary models were made in Japan as opposed to the newer versions. They certainly had a higher build quality than a typical $1000 Ibanez has now. I have a yellow one as well, and it's a great guitar. If you like crazy thin necks, you can't go wrong.

The 20th anniversary models were made in Japan as opposed to the newer versions. They certainly had a higher build quality than a typical $1000 Ibanez has now. I have a yellow one as well, and it's a great guitar. If you like crazy thin necks, you can't go wrong.

The Genesis series RG550 reissues are made in Japan according to the Ibanez web site.

Back
Top Bottom