Review: Rocktron Velocity 300 new version...

steveb

Inspired
So, I received the newly reengineered version of the Rocktron Velocity 300 today. Spec's wise, its a 1U poweramp that puts out 150watt/channel into 4ohm, 75 watt/channel into 8ohm, or 300 watts into 8 ohm bridged, according to the manual. I run each channel into a single side of my 2x12, which is closed back and loaded with 8ohm Mesa C90's. Its fricken loud, I can't imagine being in a situation where this isn't loud enough. If it wasn't, I'd just grab a 8 ohm 4x12 and bridge into it, that should be plenty loud.

The size is a 1U rack unit at 9.5" deep. The AxeFx itself is deeper. Weight is 18.7 pounds.

In the past I've used a variety of power amps with the AxeFx, including the QSC GX3, the Rocktron Velocity 100, Crate Powerblock, and the effects returns into my Mesa Boogie heads. Inevitably, like many on the board, I've been unsatisfied with the solid state amplfiiers, but the Boogie tube stages sounded awesome. The SS amps have just felt cold and thin, leaving an "edge" to the sound which I just didn't like and I couldn't seem to dial out with just AxeFx settings. Especially after the AxeFx v7 upgrade, it seemed to me to be more a problem with the amps than anything with the AxeFx.

Enter the Velocity 300. I've always liked the build quality of my Velocity 100 and wanted a bit more power available, but the old V300 was 2U which I was trying to avoid. When they reengineered the 300 into a 1U unit I wanted to give it a shot, because I'd heard good things about the "Reactance" control helping out with the "cold and thin" thing. Plugged her in and cranked it up. Short Story- the Reactance control works. It doesn't take much, but it totally thickens and rounds the tone off to where it's much more like going through my Mesa poweramps. I know in theory that the AxeFx should be able to do anything necessary to the tone, but I'm convinced at this point that cheaper SS poweramps can still do things to the tone that you can't compensate for in the AxeFx. Or maybe I just haven't figured out the right things to change in the AxeFx. In any case, I don't care, because the Rocktron Velocity 300 has fixed that problem for me. Cranked up a Plexi1 patch hit with the new BB model in front, and had a super fat and smooth lead tone very reminiscent of Andy Timmons. I have the reactance set at about 3. There is also a definition control which seems a bit like a presence control. Might be good for a quick fine tune if the sounds not cutting well in a venue. I also fired up the Das Metal patch and it sounded as fat and thundering as I hoped. Good stuff.

So, I haven't had it long, but so far the new velocity 300 looks like a winner. And at $369 ish it's not too expensive.

also no annoying banana plugs. ;)

Looks like it could be a winner,
I'm curently running my Axe into a Velocity 500 which is crazy loud but it unfortunatly takes up 2 rack spaces so I might look into the Velocity 300. Cheers :mrgreen:

The same happened to me.. not SS compares to the power tube stage ... The most beatiful tone I get is using the loop on a Mark IV. Otherwise the only amp I have that comes very close is the Carvin 1200 Mosfet A/B. I am using now an Art SLA2 and it sounds real nice but If I had to choose for tone wise would be the Mark IV. The Art is close enough to sound real nice... but the Mark has more and sweeter highs in it...
:) BTW I am using a very nice FR speaker a Beyma Cab by boogafunk so any difference in tone is really evident...

I experienced the same thing as Steveb. After playing tube amps forever, the Axe-Fx and the SLA-1 sounded a little harsh and untube like to me for a live sound. After reading his post, I identified with him totally. Based on his review I bought the Velocity 300 and like him after one chord knew I was in the right place for me. A little tweaking of the knobs and I was home.
Can't say much for durability (no experience with Rocktron) but it looks like it could hold up to road use. I like the fans mounted on the side so I won't hear the fans as much. About the same depth as the SLA-1 but heavier. The approval on the PA was when I went for the clean presets. Nice and rounded with a sweet smoothness to it. It's sold and so am I. Thanks for the review Steveb

Thank you guys, i'll go fot it next week. How it sounds in live situations with guitar cab? Amp sim on and cab sim off?

I'm waiting on these to be available at my local Guitar Center (March 1st), and I'm going to pick one up to try out. I am also going to order the Carvin DCM200L to compare with the Rocktron. Carvin only offers a 10 day trial, but that should be long enough to choose between the two, or neither.

Hello I am new here. I just ordered an Ultra suppose to have it thursday. I been researching best power amp for it. What I have is two stacks one with GT-75's and other with Vintage 30's.
I only will use one stack at a time. I like the review on the Rocktron Velocity 300 but am worried It might not have enough power headroom for a stack. I play Metal/Hardrock. Also one set of cabs is wired with 8 ohm speakers so both cabs would equl a 4 ohm load and other set is 16 ohm speakers wired to 16 ohm load that would draw 8 ohms. Any thoughts on this? Any body using it with a full stack?

I dont want to go with tube power amp I am trying to keep it light weight. I am use to playing with 100 watt tube heads.
So I am favoring this Rocktron Velocity 300. Local Guitar Center does not stock Rocktron Velocity or Art SLA2 so i cant try before I buy.
I know the Art SLA2 would be enough power but I am now worried about it sounding edgey or lacking tube like punch. I owned a line6 Vetta and it was close just a little harsh but playing with a band It would not cut with out being too loud and then it would drown everyone out.

Follow up on using the Velocity 300 live:
I stopped touring many years ago and never used anything but what would be considered vintage amps these days. So anything that I play now is referenced to those amps, many of which I still own. This morning was the first time I used the Velocity 300 in my rig for two worship services with great results. The results were so convincing the Worship Minister; a guy that I have known for over 15 years, who is 28 and a purist guitar player; who is used to seeing me lugging around a Diezel w/road case and effects rack, etc. ask me after the service where my amp was. I pointed to a 4 space rack with the Axe-Fx, Velocity 300 and Furman power conditioner. He was stunned! During the second service he listened intensely I'm sure and afterwards reaffirmed he could not tell the difference. I had just got back a 52 Les Paul converted to 59 specs from Gord Miller at GM Vintage Restorations in Canada which I wanted him to play so he starts to play it through the rig and the first question out of his mouth was "how much is the Axe-Fx?" Only when I told him the cost did he comment on the guitar. I couldn't be happier with the match up of the Velocity 300. Now as always YMMV and sound is always a personal thing but I run a 1 x 12 Lopo standard cabinet w/ Celestion G12H anniversary 30 watt, 16 ohm speaker and the amp in stereo so I get basically 35 watts into that cab. All I need and more for this gig and it's a big church. Hope this helps other that are experiencing similiar issues with their present power amps. And now that I have reported my findings I will go back to stalking on this forum (and many others) and playing. One last comment...this forum is full of helpful people, great players and alot of kind words. Long live Fractal!!!

Very interesting... I might have to give it a try. I wish they had a 500 watt single space version, 250 a side would be real nice.

Zman said:
Hello I am new here. I just ordered an Ultra suppose to have it thursday. I been researching best power amp for it. What I have is two stacks one with GT-75's and other with Vintage 30's.
I only will use one stack at a time. I like the review on the Rocktron Velocity 300 but am worried It might not have enough power headroom for a stack. I play Metal/Hardrock. Also one set of cabs is wired with 8 ohm speakers so both cabs would equl a 4 ohm load and other set is 16 ohm speakers wired to 16 ohm load that would draw 8 ohms. Any thoughts on this? Any body using it with a full stack?

I dont want to go with tube power amp I am trying to keep it light weight. I am use to playing with 100 watt tube heads.
So I am favoring this Rocktron Velocity 300. Local Guitar Center does not stock Rocktron Velocity or Art SLA2 so i cant try before I buy.
I know the Art SLA2 would be enough power but I am now worried about it sounding edgey or lacking tube like punch. I owned a line6 Vetta and it was close just a little harsh but playing with a band It would not cut with out being too loud and then it would drown everyone out.

I'll let you know how well it can power 2 4x12's, at least my impression. I just ordered the 300 at Guitar Center, and it will be here in 3-5 days. By the way, you can order it at the store, try it for 30 days, and return it within that period if you don't like it. I am ordering the Carvin DCM200L also (only a 10 day trial) to do an A/B comparison. I may also try the SLA-2, but I'm kinda turned off by the output connector arrangement. I'll also be comparing the SS amps to my dual mono block tube amp, which I'm currently using. I'm thinking the tube amp will kick both SS amps in the ass, but I may be pleasantly surprised. Been trying to go SS for years, but haven't found a SS power amp that has the oomph yet.

I can't yet afford an Axe-fx, and I'm not a fan of most of the other modellers out there.
Given how cheap they go for on the used market, what do people think of the Rocktron VoodooValve, compared to technology (but not compared to the Axe-fx because we know it is superior in all ways? :)

shred-o-holic said:
Bump for the sake of follow up.......anyone else used/still liking this thing?

Still using it, still liking it. With the Rocktron I don't feel the need to use my tube amp head power sections and will actually be unloading all my heads shortly. Its plenty loud for me, I'm usually running it into a Mesa EVM12L 1x12 cab. I'm sure it would power a couple of 8ohm 4x12's fine and I don't think I'd want to be in a band where that wasn't loud enough.

JMZ93 said:
I can't yet afford an Axe-fx, and I'm not a fan of most of the other modellers out there.
Given how cheap they go for on the used market, what do people think of the Rocktron VoodooValve, compared to technology (but not compared to the Axe-fx because we know it is superior in all ways? :)

You'd probably want to start a thread specifically on the VoodooValve, this thread is about the poweramp.

steveb said:
shred-o-holic said:

Still using it, still liking it. With the Rocktron I don't feel the need to use my tube amp head power sections and will actually be unloading all my heads shortly. Its plenty loud for me, I'm usually running it into a Mesa EVM12L 1x12 cab. I'm sure it would power a couple of 8ohm 4x12's fine and I don't think I'd want to be in a band where that wasn't loud enough.
Hey SteveB how does the Mark IIC+ sim stand up to your actual head?

brettllingle said:

I need to pull out the Radial headbone and do a comparison between the IIC+ and the Axe/Rocktron combo. Back around 7.0 ( I think) I did a comparsion and at that time I thought the preamp portion of the Axe was pretty much dead on but the poweramp modelling wasn't quite there. I think I was running through a QSC GX3 poweramp to test at that time. If I ran the Axe into the boogies power stage it was pretty much dead even, they even responded almost exactly the same to guitar volume adjustments.

steveb said:
shred-o-holic said:

It has my curiosity.......so headroom wise it seems adequate? I use two 4 ohm cabs.....one 4x12 and one 2x12.....plus a powered crossover/sub.......I may just have to order one from musician's friend or something for a try out...

I started an SLA-2 vs Rocktron 300 that has no interest.... :lol: :oops:

steveb said:
brettllingle said:

I need to pull out the Radial headbone and do a comparison between the IIC+ and the Axe/Rocktron combo. Back around 7.0 ( I think) I did a comparsion and at that time I thought the preamp portion of the Axe was pretty much dead on but the poweramp modelling wasn't quite there. I think I was running through a QSC GX3 poweramp to test at that time. If I ran the Axe into the boogies power stage it was pretty much dead even, they even responded almost exactly the same to guitar volume adjustments.
Wow. I thought the Mark IIC+ sim was dead on with a pair of M-Audio BX8a's. This sounds like the power amp for me too now to just decide on getting a pair of Mesa x12's or the new Atomic passive monitors. The only thing that is holding me back from the Mesas right now is the fact that I won't be able to have a good acoustic sound with the piezos through them as the cabinets add a bit of color to them.

Back
Top Bottom