Review - first gigs with FW 11b

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
Updated & dialed & gigged with zero issues. No need for detailed release notes - keep the secret sauce secret!!

Analysis - To me it sounds like Cliff solved the dynamics mystery, A.K.A. how frequencies compress based on the attack envelope the player is feeding the amp with fingers and pick, and maybe another level of amp/cab interaction where the amp "loads down" (compresses volume and frequencies) and "catches up" (releases compressed items) during the entire ASDR envelope (attack, sustain, delay, release). I could be imagining that though.

Description - To use a TV analogy, between pick attacks the sound is full HD, all the pixels. To use funky analogies, during pick attacks, the dynamics mojo is in full bloom - chewy, musical frequencies, addictive, kinetic feel. And speaking of bloom, because the sound goes from mojo frequency compression at attack, to full HD expansion between attacks, the notes and overtones ring out in 3D when you're not picking. Very nice.

Summary - all my well-dialed patches sound like they've been retweaked to a new level, especially higher gain patches. Just as important, my bright/clean patches that had issues with frequency "stiffness" and "hard" dynamics are cured. On those problem patches, I could get a clean/bright ringing tone, or controlled frequencies/dynamics...but never both, regardless of parameters used. 11b has cured that eternal problem.

Gigging with an axe-fx for 6 years, I can tell you this final frequency/dynamics breakthrough is a big deal. If you haven't owned one that long, just realize it took Cliff Chase 5 years of investigation and math to uncover this one - that's gotta be hard! Congrats to Cliff for yet another epic breakthrough.

Look out for the following:
- Final output went up 2-4db on most of my patches.
- Parameters will change.
After resetting an amp, if your tone/gain changes more than you were expecting, be sure to write the following down BEFORE you reset your amp. Then reset your amp, dial those values back in, save the patch somewhere else, and compare the two. This is fast & easy to do with the iPad axe-fx editor (see my sig).

List compiled by Scrutinizer, creator of the iPad axe-fx editor:

The following groups of AMP block advanced controls revert to default values when changing amp type:
Master, Depth
Boost, Bright, Fat, Sat
Tonestack Type, Tube Type, Grid Modeling ON/OFF, MV Location, TS Location
All controls in the DYNAMICS group
All controls in the PREAMP group
All controls in the PWR/XFMR group, except Pweramp Hicut and Pwramp locut
All controls in the SPKR group
All controls in the SUPPLY/BIAS group except Trem Freq
All controls in the EQ group
Only a few controls are left alone, including these:
Input Drive
Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence
Level
Voicing

Last edited:
Outstanding review Eric. The suggestions and breakdown on the changes to the firmware update are right on the button. I strongly agree with you and share your experiences here in my opinion too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Scott. Was out of town during 11b release, but I have done 2 of 3 gigs this week. Funny part is my electric has been too loud at both gigs...but I didn't care. Sounds/feels great. No issues yet.

Thanks Scott. Was out of town during 11b release, but I have done 2 of 3 gigs this week. Funny part is my electric has been too loud at both gigs...but I didn't care. Sounds/feels great. No issues yet.

The beta 11 firmware is about 2-3db louder on average; just dial it down accordingly and you'll be fine.

Or leave it and just rock out! ;)

Back
Top Bottom