Reverb Types Info

DrNick

Inspired
I have often thought that it would be great to have a brief account somewhere (on the wiki, I suppose) of the various reverb types. Some of them are self-explanatory (like 'Large Room') but I'm not sure what to make of 'Rec Studio A' or 'North Church.'

A little background info on these would be interesting. Maybe some suggested uses of each one as well?

Yes, I know one should just try them and see what sounds good yada yada. I do this, but I'm also curious and like background and reference material!

Anyone have some insight into this?

It would be cool to get a little background on the inspiration for the verb algorithms.

I think about verb in three broad categories:
long vs. short
dark vs. bright
character (this can be anything from smooth, grainy, warm, mojo, etc. just a grab bag of intangibles)

The tail of the verbs in the Fractal is really special. It's usually the reverb tail for me that shows the cheap from the high end. I listen critically as the tail fades.

In the past I've used computer-based plugins for Reverb that I found easier to dial in a sound I like: seeing a 3D box of room shape that you can change dimensions x-y-z, then position where the sound source is and where the mic is in the room. I didn't really know what I was doing with that effect either, but I found it easier to experiment and get something I like. All the nerd knobs are there for AxeFx reverb, but it forces you to elevate your nerd credentials to get the most out of it.

Last edited:
I have often thought that it would be great to have a brief account somewhere (on the wiki, I suppose) of the various reverb types. Some of them are self-explanatory (like 'Large Room') but I'm not sure what to make of 'Rec Studio A' or 'North Church.'

A little background info on these would be interesting. Maybe some suggested uses of each one as well?

Yes, I know one should just try them and see what sounds good yada yada. I do this, but I'm also curious and like background and reference material!

Anyone have some insight into this?

The "church" types may be based on specific Bricasti reverb types.

The wiki lists some others:
  • London Plate: probably based on the EMT 140 plate reverb.
  • Sun Plate: probably based on the plate reverb used on Sun Studio records.
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Reverb_effect#Reverb_types

The "church" types may be based on specific Bricasti reverb types.
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Reverb_effect#Reverb_types

Thanks Yek! (for everything...)

This is indeed just the sort of thing I had in mind, but would like to see greatly expanded.

It somehow hadn't occurred to me that the names might be homages to other commercial reverbs, that this could be an impediment to FAS just coming out and saying where they come from. Is this the case? I don't really know the legalities/etiquette on all this.

Yeah, I think you're on the right path and it requires a working knowledge of popular reverbs.

I don't know the first thing about them so I have to go in blind.

Some would say that's a benefit. :)

A good thing is to read some info on Reverb and reverb types, in a general way. Learn about tails, early reflections, diffusion and the tonal qualities of the most common algorithms; hall, plate, spring, room. Then you'll get a better hold of the whole concept and understand the differences between reverb types and parameters. Tiled room, just scream in a good old tiled room or bathroom and hear the echoes. Church, the same. Rec studio, pretty self-explanatory.
It's a good thing to learn the 101 first. Then you'll see that the Axe will make it all very intuitive and great sounding. It's the same with amps and fx. We don't really need Fractal to write a book explaining what's already out there. They don't need to explain how a chorus works or what a tiled room reverb is. But if we do a little homework first, then programming the Axe is a breeze!

I'm sure I read somewhere that Rec Studio A and Rec Studio C were models of abbey road studio room reverbs?

Back
Top Bottom