Reverb Nimbostratus doesn't sound the same in FM3 as in AX3.. help

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
So I have a nice sounding Reverb in my AX3. I applied all the parameter values to the same reverb type in the FM3.
It doesn't sound the same at all! I checked the values like 5 times. Type is Nimbostratus, Nothing crazy going on in there.
I'm running it in Parallel.
Is there something I am not aware of?

Attachments

• AX3T REV Nimbostratus CH B_20240103_182729.blk
    933 bytes · Views: 1
  • FM3 REV Nimbostratus CH B_20240103_184416.blk
    730 bytes · Views: 0
So I have a nice sounding Reverb in my AX3. I applied all the parameter values to the same reverb type in the FM3.
It doesn't sound the same at all! I checked the values like 5 times. Type is Nimbostratus, Nothing crazy going on in there.
I'm running it in Parallel.
Is there something I am not aware of?
The AX3 reverbs were updated in v23 on 11-13-23. The newest firmware for the FM3 was released on 8-17-23 so that may account for the differences.

What if you set them up from device interface instead of edit programs? Do you have current edit programs for both?

I just confirmed that the Nimbostratus in the FM9 doesn't sound the same as the AX3.

I am just documenting my findings here.
What if you set them up from device interface instead of edit programs? Do you have current edit programs for both?

Yes I run the edit programs at the same time so I can see values of each unit, triple checking!
Then playing through the AX3 then FM9 then AX3 then FM3.

I just confirmed that the Nimbostratus in the FM9 doesn't sound the same as the AX3.

Yes I run the edit programs at the same time so I can see values of each unit, triple checking!
Thats odd because FM9 has it own core for reverb I believe , maybe all the recent updates in the reverb block are affecting this ?
I guess we will see eventually when the AXE3 and FM9 are at similar firmware

You're currently comparing apples to oranges. At the very least you should revert your Axe 3 to a firmware before the reverb changes. Or wait for the FM9 firmware to be updated to the same Reverb algorithms as the Axe 3 on FW24.x.

The FM3 has a more limited Reverb block compared to the Axe-Fx III. It does not have the added pitch shifters. Those types that rely on this are included because frankly they still sound cool, and to ensure that other reverb types work in translation.
If we wanted to approximate the axe III nimbostratus in the FM3, would placing a pitch block before the reverb work? And which mode and settings would be closest? Crystals before the reverb with -12 and +12/+24 sounds really cool. I see that you can choose the pitch shifter placement in the reverb block.

You're currently comparing apples to oranges. At the very least you should revert your Axe 3 to a firmware before the reverb changes. Or wait for the FM9 firmware to be updated to the same Reverb algorithms as the Axe 3 on FW24.x.
Thanks.
As I am very happy with the AX3 reverb I have no intention of going backward on the firmware.
At the beginning of this, I didn't know what to expect.
Doing the actual testing I was surprised by the results. AX3 to FM3. Initially I thought it may have been a bug.
Day 2 of testing was again AX3 to FM3 and then AX3 to FM9.
I did not remember that the AX3 received a reverb upgrade, which now makes sense.
I am surprised how different the blocks that I attached in the OP sound.
That is all for now as I am moving on to playing the AX3 and will address the reverb differences when it make sense.
Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom