Reverb - is Cliff the only one that gets it?

InsideOut

Power User
The addition of tail delay seperate from pre-delay has been a mind blower for me. I can't believe how much of an improvement this has made for all of my tones. I can actually have reverb wet enough to hear without it clouding everything.

I've been searching and searching for a VST plug-in that has this feature. I simply haven't been able to find one. Even the screenshots from the INSANE expensive Waves plugs, have pre-delay, but I can't see where you can manipulate the tail other than EQ, density, decay etc.

When using reverb in your DAW for post processing, if the reverb only has pre-delay (and we're following the advice of keeping verb out of the 50-150ms timeframe) do you set pre-delay to 150ms+? That seems like the only way to keep it out of the 50-150ms region, but also seems like it would screw with your early reflections. Am I just misunderstanding how this works?

:?:

Rob,

You are correct on all counts ;) Very few verbs offer the flexibility of our new AFX Verb. On most verbs, when you dial in 150ms predelay it means the early reflection will be delayed by that same amount (which achieves a certain effect, but not the fat ambience we're achieving with the AFX). As stated earlier, to get the same effect usually requires an additional delay or reverb - that's why Cliff's 9.0 reverb is so cool! :cool:

~Rad~

Altiverb has it:
http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Altiverb ... bMain.html

Looks like MasterVerb has it but I'm not 100% sure:
http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/masterverb/

And here is a cool reverb that doesn't have it yet but the developer promised
to implement it in the next update that suppose to come out really soon.
I double checked with him and confirmed that both delays will be controled
independently.... as he put it: "you can have the tail trigger first, if you wish to do so"
http://www.2caudio.com/products/aether/

:idea:

The 2C Audio Verb looks killer - especially the new update! I will be watching this closely. ;)

Whatever all these parameter are for: The Axe-Fx's reverbs sound gorgeous to me. Fat and thick and still not in the way and my no means metallic or bathroom-like-sounding (like most of the reverb plugins do). They embed the guitar in a nice surrounding bed of ambience which seems to melt with the guitar's sound. Something I only heard from my UAD Plate 140 so far.

Cool! Thanks guys. :cool:

Yes, the 2C verb looks very interesting (and while still on the expensive side for me, it's reletively affordable compared to others with this amount of control). It looks like it already has similar control, just not in the same way. The pre-delay on ER is not manually adjustable, but rather pre-determined by the size parameter. Then the LR tail can be controlled by a manual pre-delay and is additive to the ER size delay (like the axefx). It seems like this would essentially give the same results. Attack would allow further fine tuning.

I think I'm going to at least try the trial version of this to see if it's worth 250 clams. I know Lexicon is a huge name in reverb, but the Lexicon plug included in my version of Sonar does not move me. It adds mud.

Thanks again for the tips guys!

Back
Top Bottom