Reverb hold?

sbruce

Inspired
Waiting patiently for my invite...wondering if this is possible with the AX8/FX8?
Would you run into CPU issues with this sort of patch?

there is only 1 Reverb block on the AX8, but otherwise i would think it's possible. maybe someone can try to recreate it on the AX8 to see, and i might try tomorrow if no one else gets to it first. i definitely have a preset with Amp, Cab, Multi-Delay and Reverb (and even more) and the CPU handled it. i would guess that using the Hold function in that wouldn't add more CPU usage.

it should also be possible on the FX8, and there are 2 Reverb blocks on that unit for the full sound (but of course no Amp and Cab modeling.

Only one Reverb block on the AX8 so you would not be able to use reverb on the lead tone. You could use the MultiDelay instead.

Otherwise, there's nothing in that preset that the AX8 CPU could not handle. I just set up a test preset with Amp, Cab, Drive, Reverb, Delay, Chorus, and MiltiDelay. The CPU can handle it with the Reverb quality in Normal but not in high. It was at 86% so there was not any CPU room left for anything else. Taking out the Multi Delay and setting the Reverb quality to High consumed 80% of the CPU.

I went back to this today and tried to get it set up again. I don't know what I did different, but I'm at 77% CPU this morning.

I set up Scene 1 for a clean sound, and Scene 2 for the lead. I have External 1 set to turn on/off the Reverb Hold function with an EV-1.

I ran into a couple problems:

1. Using the S1/2 button assignment to switch between Scene 1 and 2 kills the Hold function. If I set up separate Scene 1 and Scene 2 footswitches, toggling between the two scenes does not kill the hold function.

2. I get a loud click/pop sound through my monitor when I use the EV-1 to engage of disengage the hold function. I tired it without the AX8 USB connected to the computer to make sure it was not computer interference but that did not make any difference.

I'm going to open a support ticket with FAS for this. In the mean time, the preset is attached if another AX8 owner wants to give it a try to see if they also get the popping sound.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59322186/AX8 Reverb Hold Test.syx

I have an experimental patch that I haven't completed yet. I was using the hold function on the reverb and also the hold function on both delay blocks. My intentions was to make a patch where you can freeze three different chords and play over top of them. The delays aren't as smooth at this as the reverb block and I hope we can get another reverb someday.
Also the ability to use the footswitches as controllers would be awesome, so the freeze function could be triggered by tapping a switch (long press - reverb freeze and short press - bypass reverb so it holds the freeze capture)

I went back to this today and tried to get it set up again. I don't know what I did different, but I'm at 77% CPU this morning.

I set up Scene 1 for a clean sound, and Scene 2 for the lead. I have External 1 set to turn on/off the Reverb Hold function with an EV-1.

1. Using the S1/2 button assignment to switch between Scene 1 and 2 kills the Hold function. If I set up separate Scene 1 and Scene 2 footswitches, toggling between the two scenes does not kill the hold function.

2. I get a loud click/pop sound through my monitor when I use the EV-1 to engage of disengage the hold function. I tired it without the AX8 USB connected to the computer to make sure it was not computer interference but that did not make any difference.

I'm going to open a support ticket with FAS for this. In the mean time, the preset is attached if another AX8 owner wants to give it a try to see if they also get the popping sound.

Thanks so much for testing this. The reverb hold sound is one of the main draws for me so I really need to know if it will work. I do hope something can be done about the foot pedal issue.

I just tried out your preset
1. If I start in Scene 1 and engage the hold function,I can use the S12 button and it does not kill the hold function. I can also use the separate Scene 2 button and it does not kill the hold function. There is a short gap in audio when switching between the scenes.

2. I get a soft clicking sound through my monitors when I engage/disengage the hold function. It is quieter than the sound of a strummed chord, but definitely noticeable. Would be nice if it could be removed, but I don't know if the hold function on the Axe rack units does the same thing or not (your preset is the first time I've ever used it :D)
-
Austin

Last edited:
I just rebooted the AX8 and the hold function is working with the S1/2 footswitch for me too. Thanks for reporting back.

I still hear the audible pop when the hold function is engaged/disengaged. Hopefully that can be addressed in a future update.

I would have thought adding reverb hold would eat all the CPU pretty much. Cliff said a while back that reverb and delay hold takes lots of processing power

yet a 1990's zoom 9030 can do it just fine, with ease.. very little processing power in those units. (edit: sorry about resurrecting this dead thread). I'm researching latching and hold functions for reverbs in AX8. I'd hate to have to drag around my old zoom 9030 with the 8050 board, just to accomplish this feature. Might be tossing up the idea of a Strymon Big Sky to replace it, for the holds that I need in live situations. Point me to a new thread if this was accomplished more recently and I'm not finding it. Thank you. Rock on!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom