Reverb CPU usage solution?

Randall d

Experienced
I wonder if Cliff could give us the option of choosing Low Res for the Reverbs instead of just High and Normal. This might allow us to create some of those highly ambient presets that require more effects than the CPU in the AX8 can handle. If he could do the same with a few other high demand effects (like Drives) then we might be able to pull off some of these Strymon type presets since a preset that wet with effects might not need the higher or even normal resolution effects to sound okay. I am struggling (aka: failing) to get those types of tones out of the AX8 (like I can with my AxeII) with the lower CPU limits. I bought the AX8 thinking I could use it as an all-in-one solution for church, and not have to add other pedals (and tghe resultant tap dancing), but I am struggling to make it work, and am discouraged (and need to make a decision within the return policy).

This has been covered so many times... The AX8 is not an AxeII...

But I have to agree with you, a Low Res mode for live playing situations where pristine reverb quality cannot be discerned would be useful for many users.

Have you done a search and tried all the tips mentioned in other threads? Normal res with Echo Density reduced? Mono cab, or normal res cabs instead of UltraRes or Stereo UltraRes?

Last edited:
The Reverb is Normal Res but have not checked the Echo Density (thanks for reminding me about that one). I switched the Chorus to Digital Mono, the Comp to Pedal 1, the Delay to LoFi Tape and a couple other things but have not exausted all the options yet. The preset I am struggling with has no amp or cab in it. It has Synth, Comp, Drive, Vol, Delay, Multi Delay, Chorus and Reverb (I think that is everything if my memory is correct). I think it is a preset of Simeon's called Synth Strings or something like that. I need to disect it some more to see what I can live without, and still get an acceptable sound. I will also try the Echo Density.

Cliff: any chance of low res modes in some of the blocks to help us out with CPU usage in the AX8?

You can "low-res" it yourself up to a certain point. As ethomas1013 posted, there are some ways to reduce the cpu. I was experimenting with the EJ factory preset and lowered the cpu by 10 points just by changing the echo density from 8 to 3. I'm sure there are other parameters that could lower it as well. I prefer spring reverb (only 8 points) on most of my patches anyway but you might could use some of the advanced parameters to give it a different character that would work as an ambient reverb effect. If you haven't done this already, check out some of the sounds that Larry Mitchell has gotten out of the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom