Reverb block and level question.

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
Hello!

I have been experimenting with setting the reverb mix to 50% and then the level to +3db. My question is this:

With this setting, would that mean that if you turn the input gain up to 100%, you are getting at max a 50/50 mix? Am I understanding that correctly, or am I way off?

Edit: I was mistaken. See below.

Yes, you are correct. At 50% mix you have 1:1 signal to reverb level. This is from the blocks guide:

1661424412975.png

Last edited:
That's for the regular delay block (not MTD). The reverb uses the same mix law as most other blocks, which is that the dry signal starts reducing immediately.
Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that at 50% mix you get a 1:1 dry/wet ratio (barring any setting that might alter the perceived wet level)

This is why I run the reverb in parallel at 100% wet, and use the input gain parameter to control how wet the reverb is, like an aux send in a DAW. I can also adjust the Input Gain parameter freely without affecting my reverb tails unlike the mix parameter.
I'm pretty sure that running it series with Mix 50% and Level +3 is exactly the same. There's a wiki post about this that I learned about years ago.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reverb_block

Mix​

When using Mix to control the level of the Reverb, the volume level of the dry signal is affected: when increasing Mix, the dry signal's level decreases. The prevent this, turn up Mix to 50%, set Level to +3dB, and use Input Gain to set the desired amount of Reverb. Or, put Reverb in a parallel row with Mix at 100% and use Level or Input Gain to set the desired reverb level.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread :) but would what I said be accurate then?

If the mix is at 50%, and the input gain at 100%, does that mean the max capable wet signal would be 50%?

On another note too, it almost seems like this is the safer way to set up reverbs, no? If you change channels on reverbs that have different mix values, doesn’t this change the overall output of your final sound? I would think setting it to Mix 50%, Input (whatever it calls for), and Output +3db would keep your final output volume the same on every reverb channel (when having the reverb bypass state set to have trails continue after bypass), no?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread :) but would what I said be accurate then?

If the mix is at 50%, and the input gain at 100%, does that mean the max capable wet signal would be 50%?

On another note too, it almost seems like this is the safer way to set up reverbs, no? If you change channels on reverbs that have different mix values, doesn’t this change the overall output of your final sound? I would think setting it to Mix 50%, Input (whatever it calls for), and Output +3db would keep your final output volume the same on every reverb channel (when having the reverb bypass state set to have trails continue after bypass), no?

If you're trying to prevent level issues, then yes (or running in parallel listed above). Keep the mix and level the same between channels, use the input gain to adjust the reverb signal in the signal path.

However, if you are trying to not have reverb on other effects as they go through the signal chain, run them in parallel in the same column as the reverb. I personally prefer for my delays to -not- have reverb on them so I run them in parallel in the same column as my reverbs.

If you're trying to prevent level issues, then yes (or running in parallel listed above). Keep the mix and level the same between channels, use the input gain to adjust the reverb signal in the signal path.

However, if you are trying to not have reverb on other effects as they go through the signal chain, run them in parallel in the same column as the reverb. I personally prefer for my delays to -not- have reverb on them so I run them in parallel in the same column as my reverbs.
Thanks for the reply! That makes sense about the reverb channels.

I’m still trying to figure out if 100% on the input gain with the mix at 50% would equal a 50% wet signal at max. I’m assuming that’s the case? :)

Thanks for the reply! That makes sense about the reverb channels.

I’m still trying to figure out if 100% on the input gain with the mix at 50% would equal a 50% wet signal at max. I’m assuming that’s the case? :)

(assuming we're in series)
yes, because if the mix was at 100% and the input gain was at 100% you would only hear the reverb signal, not the dry/main signal path.

edit: not sure if you're trying to compare to Parallel, please clarify.

Back
Top Bottom