Returning user with decision paralysis

eda123

Inspired
Hey all,

long time user of the original axefx, the II, and the III for over ten years.

I switched from amps to the axe+MFC back in 2011 and gigged with it quite a bit. Record at home as well.

Well last year I went back to amps and while they sound great, I’m back to what I was doing pre-fractal days.... which is endless flipping of pedals and tone chasing to see if there is a bigger better tone to be had. Fun but exhausting and I’m focusing less on playing.

Now getting back to rehearsing and gigging and love my tones but in a cover band I’m just making too many compromises vs what I’m used to historically with modelers. I like dialing in the exact tone I need for every song.

Now the choice of FM3 vs axe3. I’ve combed countless posts here. Form factor of the Fm3 is a huge positive for me. Grab and go. Easy connections. Light.

Question is will I be hampered by cpu use. I play in a cover band and don’t need super elaborate setups, just a vibe, chorus, delay, boost or drive, wah, and occasionally rotary. If it’s going to be one of those things where I’m constantly fighting it to stay under limit, I’ll deal with a bigger setup using the axe3. I’ve read the various posts on cpu estimates for each block but don’t know how accurate they are.

if anyone has recent input or advice on real world cpu usage, with the types of effects I mention above?

For what you describe, the FM3 can cover your needs with horsepower to spare. The clever way that they set up the footswitches may even cover your flexibility needs without having to buy an extra floor controller too. I think the higher quality reverbs and such that require more power are more for recording. It’s doubtful anyone in your audience will notice as the reverbs sound wonderful even in economy mode.

FM3 will be fine but you will want something to augment the switching.

Also if you like just using an amp, I like my Line6 Helix Floor a lot better for that purpose, using it for fx, switching and routing. Far easier to use. A bit large physically though.

Hey all,

long time user of the original axefx, the II, and the III for over ten years.

I switched from amps to the axe+MFC back in 2011 and gigged with it quite a bit. Record at home as well.

Well last year I went back to amps and while they sound great, I’m back to what I was doing pre-fractal days.... which is endless flipping of pedals and tone chasing to see if there is a bigger better tone to be had. Fun but exhausting and I’m focusing less on playing.

Now getting back to rehearsing and gigging and love my tones but in a cover band I’m just making too many compromises vs what I’m used to historically with modelers. I like dialing in the exact tone I need for every song.

Now the choice of FM3 vs axe3. I’ve combed countless posts here. Form factor of the Fm3 is a huge positive for me. Grab and go. Easy connections. Light.

Question is will I be hampered by cpu use. I play in a cover band and don’t need super elaborate setups, just a vibe, chorus, delay, boost or drive, wah, and occasionally rotary. If it’s going to be one of those things where I’m constantly fighting it to stay under limit, I’ll deal with a bigger setup using the axe3. I’ve read the various posts on cpu estimates for each block but don’t know how accurate they are.

if anyone has recent input or advice on real world cpu usage, with the types of effects I mention above?
I play in a cover band and I just got an FM3 and EV1 a couple weeks ago. It’s amazing. My band plays stuff ranging from Shania Twain and Adele to Journey and Bon Jovi. If you already have experience with Fractal, it will be a seamless transition (I was coming from Line 6, so I still am having some growing pains). I’ve just discovered how to maximize the perform layout, which is awesome for using only 3 buttons, since I didn’t buy the FC-6.

I have both the FM3 and an FX3, and and would recommend the FM3. It’s a great sounding unit. Get one, go through all the factory presets to get an idea what it can do, and if you don’t like it return it and upgrade to the FX3.

The FC-6 foot controller combined with the FM3 and the OMG-9 layout, which is now built-in, is very flexible and makes for powerful and easily portable rig.

I had II for five years and now I switched to FM3 because of the size. I did presets per song for my both bands setlists and didn’t run into cpu issues. It was actually harder with II because I needed second amp block if I wanted something like rhythm, lead and clean. My gig rack with II and MFC-101 and all accesories was 6U and >30kg, now its hardly 15kg 🤘🏻

Thanks for the great input folks, I got my order in and my FM3/FC6/EV-2 are on the way, along with a Friedman ASC10 :)
Good choice.

If you're looking for a travel case - I've been happy with this one. Need to turn the FM3 and FC6 90 degrees to make it fit. No room for anything else though. I carry my expression pedal in my bag with all my cables.

Amazon product ASIN B07SZHTJDM

Just a heads up on the ASC-10... It sounds better off the floor. On the floor it could be a bit bass-heavy.
First off, it’s awesome to have a fractal back in my hands. I am soooo glad I came back full circle.

Second, you were dead on with the asc being bass heavy. Far too much so in my opinion. I tilted it back and it’s better.

I definitely want to go to a powered cab vs a PA wedge- is the xitone less bass heavy when un-tilted? Anyone have real world advice based on the two?

Do you have a small table or something to get the ASC completely off of the floor? Once I got it off the floor it was wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom