Retro Channel has landed - first impressions

MNG

Inspired
My Retro Channel Power amp has finally arrived - probably the first in the UK. First off, Lance has been great to deal with and responds straight away to any queries.

I have so far only had time to test it out at home and in mono only. I use my Axe II for recording and my Ultra in 4CM mode with a Mesa MkV and a Marshall YJM. The Axe is pure genius, but I just prefer to play out on a tube amp, although I have been trying to replace them for years with no success.

In anticipation of the Retro arriving, I have been working on a patch using the Marsha BE and have been AB'ing the Axe/Atomic combo with my Marshall YJM - basically a souped up Plexi. I got something in the ball park and maybe 90% of the way there.

So what's the Retro like? Well it looks fantastic and build quality is absolutely rock solid. How does it sound? Well, I plugged it in and loaded up the Marsha patch and after an hour and a half, I was still on the same patch. I just couldn't leave it alone. It was all there, the 'amp' ingredient that I have always been missing was there. Rich harmonics, feedback at will, a hollow 3-D tubeyness. I really only played that one patch so cannot comment as yet on the versatility aspects but, at being a Marshall amp cranked up, the Retro excelled. It felt and sounded as good, if not better, than my Marhsall. I played it through the Atomic and also a regular cab and much preferred the cab. The resonance control was great for just tuning it in - I don't know what it does, but I like it.

It is definitely very touch sensitive with the Axe and I really like the versatility that the additional controls bring. I mentioned the resonance, but the presence is a really quick, handy way of jumping from humbuckers to single coils. So far, I've been using it with the channel volume turned down which gives it the flattest response and adds least colour to the Axe. I tried turning the channel volume up and liked what it brought, but damn, it was LOUD!

I'll post again when I've had chance to put it through its paces a bit more, especially on versatility - it will be interesting to hear how it does Fender and similar sounds for example. But on the evidence so far, I am delighted with the amp. I think that there is a gap in the market and Lance may have just stormed into it.

If you think that Lance's videos sounded good, then the real thing is like that, just so much better.

Sorry for the long post!

My Retro Channel Power amp has finally arrived - probably the first in the UK. First off, Lance has been great to deal with and responds straight away to any queries.

I have so far only had time to test it out at home and in mono only. I use my Axe II for recording and my Ultra in 4CM mode with a Mesa MkV and a Marshall YJM. The Axe is pure genius, but I just prefer to play out on a tube amp, although I have been trying to replace them for years with no success.

In anticipation of the Retro arriving, I have been working on a patch using the Marsha BE and have been AB'ing the Axe/Atomic combo with my Marshall YJM - basically a souped up Plexi. I got something in the ball park and maybe 90% of the way there.

So what's the Retro like? Well it looks fantastic and build quality is absolutely rock solid. How does it sound? Well, I plugged it in and loaded up the Marsha patch and after an hour and a half, I was still on the same patch. I just couldn't leave it alone. It was all there, the 'amp' ingredient that I have always been missing was there. Rich harmonics, feedback at will, a hollow 3-D tubeyness. I really only played that one patch so cannot comment as yet on the versatility aspects but, at being a Marshall amp cranked up, the Retro excelled. It felt and sounded as good, if not better, than my Marhsall. I played it through the Atomic and also a regular cab and much preferred the cab. The resonance control was great for just tuning it in - I don't know what it does, but I like it.

It is definitely very touch sensitive with the Axe and I really like the versatility that the additional controls bring. I mentioned the resonance, but the presence is a really quick, handy way of jumping from humbuckers to single coils. So far, I've been using it with the channel volume turned down which gives it the flattest response and adds least colour to the Axe. I tried turning the channel volume up and liked what it brought, but damn, it was LOUD!

I'll post again when I've had chance to put it through its paces a bit more, especially on versatility - it will be interesting to hear how it does Fender and similar sounds for example. But on the evidence so far, I am delighted with the amp. I think that there is a gap in the market and Lance may have just stormed into it.

If you think that Lance's videos sounded good, then the real thing is like that, just so much better.

Sorry for the long post!

MNG
Would it be a cool idea that you and Lightningboy could do an A/B test drive between your new amp and his GT1000FX with different cabinet options? I think you both live in the same city.

Hey man,

I live in Brum and I would be very interested to hear this amp in person if you are up for meeting up?

Currently I'm a Matrix user (GT800FX currently, thinking about upgrading to GT1000FX) and love their amps but am always interested in what other options are out there for us AxeFX users.

Anyway, let me know if you would be up for getting together, would be happy to bring the Matrix along for comparison if you're interested just let me know?

Cheers

Spence

Xpenno and MNG
Please inform us about your unbiased findings when this goes thru. Reay honestly curious.
Thanks

I'm expecting my Retro Channel amp by Friday so next week I'll be able to contribute my observations.

I play through passive speakers (Mackie C300Z x 2) so it's slightly different from MNG's setup. Currently using a Yorkville power amp (PA amp) that I'm renting from the local music store, so at least I've got something to compare it to.

Reading this review has got me in a state of high anticipation (i.e. drooling) about getting my amp. Hope FedEx is right about the delivery time.

Currently I'm a Matrix user (GT800FX currently, thinking about upgrading to GT1000FX) and love their amps but am always interested in what other options are out there for us AxeFX users.

Anyway, let me know if you would be up for getting together, would be happy to bring the Matrix along for comparison if you're interested just let me know?

Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing how that turns out .. the Retro is more expensive than the Matrix, I'm curious as to how these two stack up to each other.

Sorry not to have posted any response - the Retro arrived at a bad time as I've been under the cosh all week due to the fact that I'm trying to get straight as I'm off on holiday at the weekend. Bummer really as I just want to spend some time with the Axe/Retro combo. Anyway, it seems Loren9050 also has one coming so maybe he'll post his own observations.

From my own point of view, I think I represent a significant minority here in that I find the Axe easy to dial in for recording and headphone use but struggle using it as an amp and continue to use real amps for that. The secret to my mind is in the speaker settings and I guess I am used to dialling in an amp and effects but not experienced at dialling in speaker cabs - they're just there with a real amp and you work around them. So, probably, I suck at it but I am learning.

I've been trying since way back with the Vetta but still keep coming back to the tubes. I know that the Axe II has got it all there and sounds awesome direct but, as an amp, I still struggle.

Paired with the Retro however, it didn't take me long to dial in a patch using the Marsha BE which really nails my sound with my Marshall YJM and kicking in a BB preamp drive is awesome. I have the BB pedal and it is exactly like the real thing. I'm tempted to say better, but that might just be an enthusiasm overdose on my part.

It took longer to dial in a patch to match my clean sound on my Mesa MkV, but I'm now really close.

I reckon that the Axe/Retro combo really is like playing a live amp in the room for the first time for me. One funny thing is that I never really got the factory presets, but some of them sound great to me now. I fired up the Hiwatt factory patch, kicked in the drive - wow! What a great sound with no tweaking whatsoever.

I think that the Matrix and the Retro represent slightly different solutions, but the Retro was the one I've been waiting for. It may be more expensive, but the build quality alone demonstrates that you get what you pay for and I like the extra flexibility that it provides. Fair play to Lance and I wish him well with it - I've certainly never experienced better customer support.

I should be looking forward to my holiday, but I just want to stay home and play! Good job the wife doesn't know about this forum!

Last edited:
Sorry not to have posted any response - the Retro arrived at a bad time as I've been under the cosh all week due to the fact that I'm trying to get straight as I'm off on holiday at the weekend.

How long are you away for? if its just a couple of weeks, we don't mind waiting :)

Hmmm...significantly more expensive than the Matrix, much lower wattage, and it sounds like you have to disable the power amp models in the Axe. The latter part seems like it would limit the versatility of the Axe, no?

I have been on holiday, hence no response from me. I just got back this weekend and will post more of an update shortly.

I use mine with the Axe power amp sims on - you can take the power amp sims out but I think you lose quite a bit of the versatility of the Axe if you do. The individual channel volumes can be rolled back to keep the amp pretty flat or you can bring them up to introduce more of the Retro thing to the table - personally, I keep them rolled back to about 9 O'clock. I know Lance said he took the amp sims out, but - and no disrespect to him - I think it sounds much better with them on. The cleans and semi cleans are great and have a real valve type snap to them.

As for power, I wouldn't worry as this thing has huge volume. It's louder than my Marshall YJM and Mark V.

I am pleased that Scott is getting one to test out as this thing needs to be heard. This is the first time that I have had a digital rig that sounds and feels just as good as a real amp.

If you have reviewed the Matrix GT1000fx I've missed it. I would like to hear your opinion on the two.

I have not; they have not offered one to me for review. If they do, I'll be pleased to do so.

I'll be out of town on a business trip this week; but will work with it and you'll see the review the following week.

Hmmm...significantly more expensive than the Matrix, much lower wattage, and it sounds like you have to disable the power amp models in the Axe. The latter part seems like it would limit the versatility of the Axe, no?

Actually because our amp uses a pair of toroid transformers the headroom is on par with or louder than either of the Matrix amps.
My friend George Pajon A/b'd the amp with his Matrix and ours was audibly louder.
How many of us are ever going to use that much volume these days is debatable, but it is window shaking loud for sure.
When we say 100 watts... WE are measuring that against a Plexi Marshall, not a digital switching power supply rig.
Both are good products, just get there in a different way.

You don't have to disable the sims on the AXE to use our amp.
If you use the volumes on each channel at lower levels and the Master at higher levels the amp is transparent.
If you want to add more power amp push, compression, etc you can roll the volume on each channel up and add tube power amp feel.
The choice is yours.
George and I used one of his favorite VH style patches and as we brought the volume up on our amp the thing got thicker and even more convincing than it already was.

We are trying another mod on the amp now that may be available that the guys at Tone Merchants recommended whereby there is a switch on the back of the amp that can defeat our amp modeling and give the end user an absolutely transparent stereo power amp that is as loud as a pair of 60's 100 watt Marshalls when cranked up but adds no tonality of its own. So far it works really well and may be available to those that want that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom