Restringing a Rickenbacker 12 string / How to become an alcoholic

Toopy14

Axe-Master
'And Now Alcoholism

I am convinced that the original engineers were drunk when they designed the stringing method for R tailpiece 12 strings. Or that they had a massive amount of malicious intent. My guitar has the R tailpiece. It looks fab. Architecturally it is an instrument of torture which is why the answer to how to restring an R tailpiece question has the typical answer of replace it with a trapeze model.'

https://www.thatguitarlover.com/blog/restringing-a-rickenbacker-12-string-how-to-become-an-alcoholic

Yep! At the very least, it sure is a test in patience!

IMG_3651.jpeg

Actually found this video very helpful!

That's quite a finicky job. I could see how that one would get frustrating quickly.
Sure is!!! :tearsofjoy:

I would say overall, to change the strings...at least 4-5 hours (I polished the frets too). I did it in two stages, a few days ago, the low 6-strings, then today, the high 6 strings. So the Ricks have the thicker string on top, then the octave string below that, but then the B and E are tuned to the same octave. The stringing is reversed, when you get to the high 6 strings. Oh ya, the tone and volume pots are backwards too, compared to a Les Paul!

The other thing I learned the other day, was that the necks on Rickenbacker's, should have little to no relief, due to the angle of the neck relative to the body, the nearly flat fretboard and the low frets. I tried it and it makes a world of difference in terms of how easy it is to play, due to the added tension of the second string when fretting.

Certainly been quite the learning experience!

Next project, 60's specs. 500k/250k pots, instead of the 300k pots, 0.0047 uF cap. in series with the bridge pickup and Toaster pickups, instead of the high-gains.

Sure is!!! :tearsofjoy:

I would say overall, to change the strings...at least 4-5 hours (I polished the frets too). I did it in two stages, a few days ago, the low 6-strings, then today, the high 6 strings. So the Ricks have the thicker string on top, then the octave string below that, but then the B and E are tuned to the same octave. The stringing is reversed, when you get to the high 6 strings. Oh ya, the tone and volume pots are backwards too, compared to a Les Paul!

The other thing I learned the other day, was that the necks on Rickenbacker's, should have little to no relief, due to the angle of the neck relative to the body, the nearly flat fretboard and the low frets. I tried it and it makes a world of difference in terms of how easy it is to play, due to the added tension of the second string when fretting.

Certainly been quite the learning experience!

Next project, 60's specs. 500k/250k pots, instead of the 300k pots, 0.0047 uF cap. in series with the bridge pickup and Toaster pickups, instead of the high-gains.

Yeah, new strings is a chore on these with the R tailpiece. Careful choice of which side of the hole and how many winds around the post, along with judicious application of Nut Sauce (on points where the strings rub against the finish of the headstock and/or the truss rod cover) helps tuning. I slightly shaved the truss rod cover on mine to curve the top edge corners, so the strings slip over them easier....

Back
Top Bottom