Reset Amp Blocks after Firmware Update

Big T

Excuse my ignorance but.....if I do this, will it negate all the hard work Austin Buddy has done as I use his presets ??

I upgraded the firmware yesterday like a psycho right before a big gig. Bad idea. The tone was fantastic, but my levels were a bit off. Might not have even been the firmware. I picked a scene and just parked there for the whole night on the Bogner Blue Modern, and it sounded good. I reset a preset's amps on my main kitchen sink preset today and did some tweaking. It sounded much better. Once again, I'm not sure if it's a firmware related thing, or maybe just correcting some of my old tweaks. Either way, I am now reseting all of my amps, then adding my typical tweaks. haha

FWIW I was helping a friend after a major FW jump so second time around. I learned a bit from my first time. This time I did a backup prior and just before resetting the amp I took a snapshot. Quick, easy and glad I did it.

I've been using fractal since axe II and surprised this is still a thing - why don't we have the ability to copy/paste settings to make this quick and easy instead of copy pasting the entire block? Taking screenshots of every amp page for every amp and adjusting is a huge time sink. Am I missing something? Could this not actually be simply automated with an "update block" button that resets and applies settings?

FWIW I was helping a friend after a major FW jump so second time around. I learned a bit from my first time. This time I did a backup prior and just before resetting the amp I took a snapshot. Quick, easy and glad I did it.
Does the snapshot button really do this, or does it actually just reload the block without updating it the same way copy/paste would?

1675096414246.png

I've been using fractal since axe II and surprised this is still a thing - why don't we have the ability to copy/paste settings to make this quick and easy instead of copy pasting the entire block? Taking screenshots of every amp page for every amp and adjusting is a huge time sink. Am I missing something? Could this not actually be simply automated with an "update block" button that resets and applies settings?

Does the snapshot button really do this, or does it actually just reload the block without updating it the same way copy/paste would?

View attachment 115271
As I understand it, Snapshot saves the current preset. If you reload the snapshot file it will be the saved version of that preset, with any automatic updates included in the FW (new defaults).

IME, Reset Amp Blocks keeps the settings on the authentic and ideal tabs, but resets deep parameters to their new defaults.

As I understand it, Snapshot saves the current preset. If you reload the snapshot file it will be the saved version of that preset, with any automatic updates included in the FW (new defaults).

IME, Reset Amp Blocks keeps the settings on the authentic and ideal tabs, but resets deep parameters to their new defaults.

Is there any way to confirm that's what snapshot does? Would sure be a relief not having to always re-tweak every changed parameter for every amp every update

Snapshot saves a copy of the preset without committing it to the device. Any automatic updates that occurred when the preset was loaded are saved with the snapshot. But snapshots are not some way to get automatic updates -- automatic updates occur automatically when a preset is loaded.

Automatic updates are independent of what occurs when you reset a block.

@yek wrote a good post somewhere on the forum re: various ways to reset blocks...

Found it: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...wanted-to-know-about-resetting-an-amp.173317/

Last edited:
Could this not actually be simply automated with an "update block" button that resets and applies settings?
Is there any way to confirm that's what snapshot does?

With the editor, choose manage preset, select one or multiple presets, right click and choose reset amp. So there is a simple way to automatically update the amp block. The problem is when features are added, that didn't exist, there is no prior setting to update so they are put at 'default' for the brand new setting. In some cases it is possible the amp doesn't sound 'better' after being reset.

Snapshot is just a 'point in time' of that particular preset. Saved to your computer in a folder. Great for comparing tweaks you make but in the application I mentioned it would be an easy way to return the amp to a 'pre reset' stage in case you didn't like the result of the reset.

Snapshot saves a copy of the preset without committing it to the device. Any automatic updates that occurred when the preset was loaded are saved with the snapshot. But snapshots are not some way to get automatic updates -- automatic updates occur automatically when a preset is loaded.

Automatic updates are independent of what occurs when you reset a block.

@yek wrote a good post somewhere on the forum re: various ways to reset blocks...

Found it: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...wanted-to-know-about-resetting-an-amp.173317/

This thread is helpful - thank you!

With the editor, choose manage preset, select one or multiple presets, right click and choose reset amp. So there is a simple way to automatically update the amp block. The problem is when features are added, that didn't exist, there is no prior setting to update so they are put at 'default' for the brand new setting. In some cases it is possible the amp doesn't sound 'better' after being reset.

Snapshot is just a 'point in time' of that particular preset. Saved to your computer in a folder. Great for comparing tweaks you make but in the application I mentioned it would be an easy way to return the amp to a 'pre reset' stage in case you didn't like the result of the reset.

I've been out of the loop for a few years. What I'm trying to understand is the following (and for some reason it's still not clear to me):

If a new FW or beta comes out, and I need to reset the amp models to get the updated processing (understood this isn't always the case), is the only way to do this still to hard/soft reset the block and manually reset the deeper settings I may have tweaked previously, or will using a snapshot and loading it after a hard reset retain new processing but re-apply the numerical values of all knobs?

Loading a snapshot after doing a reset will basically undo the reset (assuming the snapshot was taken before the reset).

You should assume deep settings are reset by a block reset.

Loading a snapshot after doing a reset will basically undo the reset.

gotcha - so if a new firmware requires amp resets, the only way to do it is still to basically screen cap or copy the values from every page of the amp and re-apply after reselecting or hard resetting the model?

- so if a new firmware requires amp resets, the only way to do it is still to basically screen cap or copy the values from every page of the amp and re-apply
To do this more quickly in a preset with one amp block, what I do is copy Amp1 to Amp2, then reset Amp1, then, with Amp1 and Amp2 positioned one above the other, go thru each page copying your changed settings with Amp2 as the "pre reset" reference. Much faster than screen shots. Works with 2 amp presets also - just have to save a copy of the preset and juggle some amp blocks back and forth while using one as a reference.

Last edited:
To do this more quickly in a preset with one amp block, what I do is copy Amp1 to Amp2, then reset Amp1, then, with Amp1 and Amp2 positioned one above the other, go thru each page copying your changed settings with Amp2 as the "pre reset" reference. Much faster than screen shots. Works with 2 amp presets also - just have to save a copy of the preset and juggle some amp blocks back and forth while usong one as a reference.

Fair, but I wonder why there isn't a function that just stores the numerical values in memory, resets, and re-applies. Seems like it would save a lot of time.

Excuse my ignorance but.....if I do this, will it negate all the hard work Austin Buddy has done as I use his presets ??
Yes. It will sound different in most cases. Some parameters reset to default values, like Input EQ, speaker thump, speaker impedance curve, speaker comp, out GEQ, output compressor, boost, saturation amount., bright cap. You will zero out any changes I made to those in an amp if you reset the amp.

But you don't always have to reset an amp after a new firmware. The firmware release notes tell you when that is required. We haven’t had to do it for six months or more.

Yes. It will sound different in most cases. Some parameters reset to default values, like Input EQ, speaker thump, speaker impedance curve, speaker comp, out GEQ, output compressor, boost, saturation amount., bright cap. You will zero out any changes I made to those in an amp if you reset the amp.

But you don't always have to reset an amp after a new firmware. The firmware release notes tell you when that is required. We haven’t had to do it for six months or more.
Let me add sometimes a new firmware may not require an amp reste BUT can, if it changes the power amp for example, make your prior preset louder and or quieter. I always re-level every amp/scene in an update for this reason. For example, I found the Bludo/TwoRock amp models lost about 3db of Level going from 20.x to 21.x on my Axe-FX III. So it’s all over the map - it’s not always in one direction.

@austinbuddy Can you remind me what doesn’t change if I do a soft reset? By that I mean going into the preset changing the amp to a different amp type then back again. I know the (or most of) settings are preserved, but what am I not accomplishing by doing soft resets?

Fair, but I wonder why there isn't a function that just stores the numerical values in memory, resets, and re-applies. Seems like it would save a lot of time.
It's not that straightforward. Sometimes, during the changing of the model, the ranges change which means the old value would no longer be correct, or what was originally the default turned out to be wrong.

You can bet that Fractal doesn't easily decide to make a firmware change that forces that type of blanket reset of amp blocks, because it affects all their factory presets too.

I just wish there was a way to pull a log of some sort of the values that were previously set to something other than defualt.

Which begs the question: the default in which firmware? The default in the previous firmware or the new firmware?

Back
Top Bottom