Request for Troubleshooting Dynamics Section

Mack

FYI, I posted this concern three days ago in the Bugs forum but there are no replies. I'm pretty sure there is an X/Y switching bug in the poweramp dynamics sections. I think this may also be responsible for some of the un-explained scene-switching glitches that have been reported by others.

So....if any of you Axe2 owners running FW 14.02 can take a few minutes to repeat the following process exactly and report your results that would be most enlightening. Thanks in advance.

1. Go to factory preset #037 Fas Modern or #039 ODS-100 Lead (#036 and #038 respectively if your Display Offset is 0)

2. Copy the X-amp parameters to the Y-amp

3. Set CF Comp to zero in X-amp and to 50% in the Y-amp

4. Now switch between X and Y on the front panel. I get a distict "thump" switching to the Y-amp. Do you?

Please note - I've made many more observations exploring other manifestations of this problem in the dynamics section (it's not actually limited to CF Comp), but I have kept this first step simple because I want to follow clear troubleshooting procedure; the first thing that needs to be determined definitively is whether my machine is displaying unique behaviour. So please, no work-around suggestions or speculations (well-meaning as they may be). If you can take the time to re-create my process exactly and report, I thank you.

Mack

I'm still running 14.00, but I was going to update today anyway. I will attempt to replicate this man. It will be a few hours before I get home though.

Stopped by the house real quick to try and do this. Updated to 14.02, followed your instructions. I can't replicate it, the only thump I hear is when adjusting CF comp. Maybe try reinstalling the firmware?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey AnthonyZ...

Ya, I've done full (re)installs of the FW and presets, same results.

Are you saying that you get a thump while actually rotating the CF Comp value? Please confirm that I've understood you correctly. If so, that seems really weird because in my case there is no thump at all when adjusting the CF Comp value, only when switching between different CF Comp values using the same amp type in X and Y.

Thanks again.

Hey AnthonyZ...

Ya, I've done full (re)installs of the FW and presets, same results.

Are you saying that you get a thump while actually rotating the CF Comp value? Please confirm that I've understood you correctly. If so, that seems really weird because in my case there is no thump at all when adjusting the CF Comp value, only when switching between different CF Comp values using the same amp type in X and Y.

Thanks again.

Yes, It happens when turning the knob from 100 to 0 and vice versa. Switching X/Y does not produce any noise for me. This does seem like a weird anomaly, doesn't it? If reinstalling the firmware hasn't helped and nobody here can replicate it, I would contact support. Sorry I couldn't be of more help man.

It happens here--not very loud but it's there and louder with higher CF Comp values.

It's probably useful to mention that this noise is entirely generated by the amp block, no input signal necessary. Even though you didn't mention it, I wondered if you were referring to switching while playing. It's not very noticeable if holding a note/chord.

AnthonyZ: Thanks, you were indeed very helpful.

Bakerman: Thanks for joining in.

Yeah, I concur with three things you say:
1. the greater the change in CF Comp value, the louder the noise
2. no input signal is necessary
3. it's not very noticeable when playing (but noticeable if I switch when not playing, eg. silent passage or between songs)

To summarize, we have two machines (Mack, Bakerman) displaying the same CF Comp "bug" (albeit not a serious one) and one machine (AnthonyZ) displaying a different CF Comp "bug".

Is there anyone else willing to weigh-in on this? Thanks.

Mack

I noticed the same thing the other day when playing with CF Comp via Axe Edit, a discernible noise when moving instantly from very low to very high CF Comp values. I also agree, no input signal required.

Back
Top Bottom