Request for David Gilmour Comfortably Numb Pulse sound

Can't help you right now but I do intend to work hard on that in the near future. Surprised to see so many hits on your thread without any input - bummer. There were a couple tones on axechange that were fun, along with a preset or two but were not there IMHO.

To me, the tone Gilmour achieves on C/numb is some of the best of the best and is worth a serious go at it. The plan is to start with hardcore research into the specific chain used and go from there. At least there is a strat with the DG20 set here. Arena volume has gotta be a huge factor too so it may be rather difficult to do in the real world.

http://www.gilmourish.com and some other linked sites from there have some detailed info. If anyone can provide additional input please do so!

Hey guys, at this point I do not own one, so I'm not necessarily requesting a patch, as much as I'm requesting somebody else to try and get the sound. I'm thinking about taking the plunge and just wondering if it can do this sound.

thanks

Evan

For a wealth of knowledge regarding David Gilmour's tones, check out:

http://www.gilmourish.com/

There is not Axe-Fx specific content on this site, but there is a lot of information regarding the actual amp, effects, and settings that David has used for most of his most memorable tones, including (of course), Comfortably Numb circa Pulse.

I have not yet personally created such as patch on the Axe-Fx (as others have mentioned, it is on my list of things to do), but being a huge fan of Gilmour, I can offer a little advice...

Playing a Strat will get you in the rough ballpark, but to really get close to David's later tones (Red Strat era, before he revisits his Black Strat for his latest solo recordings and most recent live work), you'll really need his EMG set. EMG's do not sound exactly like traditional Strat single coils and his higher gain tones make use of the additional active controls and have a large impact on his tone. I personally prefer his tones circa Animals and The Final Cut, as I prefer the sound of his Black Strat, but I don't think that David has ever created a tone that is less than incredible. ;) Just keep in mind that, depending on what guitar and pick-ups you are using, and whether or not you are dialing this tone in for yourself or someone else is (with perhaps different guitar/pickup combinations) that there may be need for a fair amount of adjustment.

Second, keep in mind that David plays LOUD. Set up your patches so that the master volumes are high and the virtual power stages are sweating a bit.

Bjorn's site should cover the specifics of gear and how to dial. Obviously, you'll have to tweak a bit, but this should get you close.

Best of luck!
-Matt

I'm interested in this sound also. There are a ton of good glimourish presets on Axexhange but none of them get that "nasaly" sound referred to earlier. I have tried putting compressors, filters, eq at the end of the chain and I generally end up with mud. The closest I have come is with a loop out to a Boss MZ-1 metalizer but I'd like to get it accomplished in the AXE. Sir David's DVD Live in Gdansk has this tone throughout...Marooned, The Blue...etc.

I have a Relic Gilmour and a Red with DG-20s in it so I have good base input. I have most of the boxes mentioned at Gilmourish.com including the Cornish G-2 and SS-2 and I have studied his chain. His tone is really hard to nail down...it is like the recipie for Coke!

Any help finding this nasal sound would be appreciated. I have lost hours trying to figure this out.

Matman....HELP! Gotham City Police have the searchlight on!

AL

mortega76 said:
Who's David Gilmour? ;)
lol :)

I'll admit, I'm terrible with guitarist personalities myself. I only know band names. Aside from Hendrix, if I've heard of a guitarist, someone was probably talking about them on this forum. But I'm also younger than you, mo, so there! :p (I didn't know SRV wasn't alive anymore until about a month ago.)

Ha ha.

Here are some more clips...

Marooned (his awesome 54) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W6hBI1SAL4

The Blue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbkbmmit0CA

Castellorizon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUraV6WP7pE

All of these use the Whammy I and I have the Ad Whammy programmed first in the chain on my Axe...it is not giving off the sound so it must be something else in his chain that does it. I believe any guitarist would pay to get the sound....not that it has anything to do with his equipment....his fingers, mind and soul help a little too!

onatonequest said:
Any help finding this nasal sound would be appreciated. I have lost hours trying to figure this out.

Before I moved to the Axe-FX, I had the nasal thing nailed down with my analog rig.

It's all in the Boss CE-2 chorus.
Slow rate, low depth setting, post gain location.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce it with total accuracy in the Axe. But that's mainly because I don't really know what I'm doing ! ;)

Anyone still has a CE-2, and wants to try and find the settings ?

Back
Top Bottom