request for Clawfinger

danl13

I know you don't share patches and I understand that since patches are only good for one person's gear.
However, I have not heard a recording you posted I have not enjoyed. I understand you often quad-track your guitars.
Would you be willing to record a basic heavy clip as follows?

-record 1 bar of gtr 1 only
-record 1 bar of gtr 2 only
-record 1 bar of gtr 3 only
-record 1 bar of gtr 4 only
-then commence the crushing rest of the song with all instruments.

I would love to hear how each guitar sounds by itself, where it's panned, and how it adds to the mix.

This can be very simple. I'm only looking to get an idea of how much gain each guitar uses and where to position in the mix as
a very basic starting point. more of a tutorial than a hand-out

Mixing can be such a strange art.

id like to know about panning in gerenal myself. for metal anyways. ive read that never hard pan (100% left and right) guitars cause it sounds too separated from the mix and it was suggested 50% left 50% Right is more ideal panning. but if u listen to alot of metal records when 1 guitar is goin u can clearly hear it hard panned 100% to 1 side. even on the lamb of god multitracks the guitars were panned hard. just want your thoughts on guitar panning for metal Jocke.
thanks

ang said:
id like to know about panning in gerenal myself. for metal anyways. ive read that never hard pan (100% left and right) guitars cause it sounds too separated from the mix and it was suggested 50% left 50% Right is more ideal panning. but if u listen to alot of metal records when 1 guitar is goin u can clearly hear it hard panned 100% to 1 side. even on the lamb of god multitracks the guitars were panned hard. just want your thoughts on guitar panning for metal Jocke.
thanks
Just do what sounds right to you. Hard panning is very, very common though.
Quadtracking with the tracks panned L100 L80 R80 R100 and the inner tracks slightly quieter sound pretty good to me.

I'll do it in the beginning of next week or as soon as I'm in the studio.

You might be surprised. :) How bad they sound that is. :D

Clawfinger said:
You might be surprised. :) How bad they sound that is. :D

I had my eyes opened by my buddy who plays for Deliverance and Fasedown. He wanted me try and cop the tones he used on his last album with the Axe-Fx.

He gave me isolated tracks of mono guitar...and they sounded pretty bad before mixing them up. I had no idea mixing worked like that.

gittarzann said:
I had my eyes opened by my buddy who plays for Deliverance and Fasedown. He wanted me try and cop the tones he used on his last album with the Axe-Fx.

He gave me isolated tracks of mono guitar...and they sounded pretty bad before mixing them up. I had no idea mixing worked like that.

Oh yes. That's exactly how it works. With a good bass sound, the guitars sound fatter, and so on. It's really nice to watch a good mixing engineer totally destroy all the cool sounds you've made, to make an even cooler mix. ;)

Nahhh ... not that quick :lol: ;) look at his signature and think 'bout his last words

Clawfinger said:
You know, food on the table bla bla

It s just one month ago :lol: ... i think he is still sittin there eatin :roll: ;)

Greatz M

:lol: either you realy emphasize on meals and desserts or you ve forgotten us realy :lol: :lol:

don t get me wrong ... but i would realy appreciate to see this kind of tutorial

Greatz M

MOTHER*****R! I forgot it again!
Doublefacepalm.jpg

You can do the quadtrack thing quite well with the 7ms trick. You just need to use slightly different tones (preferably different IRs) and do it like this. Record one guitar hard left. Duplicate that track and pan it 80% right and delay the track 7ms. Then record the other guitar hard right and duplicate that track and pan the fourth track 80% left and delay it 7ms. You can experiment with different delay times. The other side could have 10ms delay and the other 7ms etc.

Back
Top Bottom