Repurchasing Gear You've Previously Sold

A new piece of gear needs to rival the number 1 to come into operation. All number 2s collect dust, no matter if you just bought them or own them for years.
When you glorify some old stuff, ask yourself if it could replace your no. 1. If not, well, you don't need even more no. 2s, right?

I had a custom guitar built by a forumite in trade for a hamer usa DC. The hamer was the better guitar, so after auditioning the build I returned it and sold for cash. Cue when my buying and selling literally started.

A few years later he listed it. I sent a PM saying hey I dont have your asking but i have learned a thing or two and would like to huy the guitar. The builder took partial payment, shipped, and i paid the rest when I could.

I think about selling it now that i have much nicer guitars and dont play it much, but it is a great reminder about chasing perfection. image.jpg

A new piece of gear needs to rival the number 1 to come into operation. All number 2s collect dust, no matter if you just bought them or own them for years.
When you glorify some old stuff, ask yourself if it could replace your no. 1. If not, well, you don't need even more no. 2s, right?
That is indeed a sticking point regards buying something one previously had sold, for whatever reason. But now I can safely say the replacement matches, if not exceeds the original in quality. I don't have images of the older sold one to compare to the newer one, but here's the replacement to the one that got away...all I need now is crackling fire, a couple marshmallows on a stick, a cozy chair and some warm socks. Enjoy.

T2aMIFz.jpg

dTOH4vl.jpg

7gJknx9.jpg

Last edited:
I bought this pedal 3 times.

View attachment 95271

I thought: if Petrucci uses this pedal it must be good through my Mark V...but every single time I have connected it to my pedalboard I realized it was the most useless, unusable, meaningless pedal ever created. 3 different modulation that you can change only turning the knob (no midi or external control).
I think I experienced a similar situation every time I invested in a single-coil guitar. Didn't matter if it was a Fender, a Tom Anderson, or a Suhr. I could never quite bond with a single-coil, even though it may have had a 'bucker in the bridge.

For some reason, my ears prefer the sound of stop tail humbuckers, even though some of my favorite musicians use trem-bar single-coils (e.g. Jimi, SRV, Trower, etc.). Can't help it. It's just the way my ears are tuned. Someday, I'll buy a humbucker guitar that isn't a stop tail and invest in a trem bar guitar. Someday.

I think I experienced a similar situation every time I invested in a single-coil guitar. Didn't matter if it was a Fender, a Tom Anderson, or a Suhr. I could never quite bond with a single-coil, even though it may have had a 'bucker in the bridge.

For some reason, my ears prefer the sound of stop tail humbuckers, even though some of my favorite musicians use trem-bar single-coils (e.g. Jimi, SRV, Trower, etc.). Can't help it. It's just the way my ears are tuned. Someday, I'll buy a humbucker guitar that isn't a stop tail and invest in a trem bar guitar. Someday.
Maybe you want a Fender noiseless SC? They sound like SCs but you can also hear the humbucker in them. The N3's are more bucker-alike than the N4's and N5's. Fat and cheesy. Look out for an American Deluxe made between 2010 and 2015, great allrounders.

Maybe you want a Fender noiseless SC? They sound like SCs but you can also hear the humbucker in them. The N3's are more bucker-alike than the N4's and N5's. Fat and cheesy. Look out for an American Deluxe made between 2010 and 2015, great allrounders.
Yup. The noiseless SC's were my preferred Fender's, ones that I could bond with more so than USA American Standards. I used to own one in Antique White with a tortoise pick guard. Best Fender I'd ever owned. If I can afford one of that era, I'll watch for these...

Either that, or hit a pawn shop for a PRS DGT for some ridiculous price. This also resides on my woulda-shoulda list.

Last edited:
I only did this once. I sold a Lexicon MPX-1 (reverb multi). I wasn't using it, and had other gear that could handle reverb. I later realized how special and tweakable that reverb was, compared to all the other options I had. Later, I found a used one with the latest firmware and re-bought. I confess I still don't use it much, but I know what I'll use it for when the right gig or recording thing happens. As an aside, the MPX-1 has quite an eclectic set of MIDI & modulation tools.

Had a CS Jackson KV1 that I sold in 2000. Traded a Y2KV for it in 2003 and then sold it in 2004. Kick myself twice as hard now.

Back
Top Bottom