Replicating pedals on FM9

mjahoger

Hi there,

Just wondering, is there a way to analyze the frequency response of a virtual drive pedal in the FM9 and compare it to the frequency response of real drive pedal? I believe in the AxeFX 3 there are the Tone Match and Real Time Analyzer blocks that the FM9 lacks. Will these become available at one point? Is there an easy solution to arrive at the same result using a laptop? I don’t have any DAWs on my laptop, so if there is some free software I can use whilst having the FM9 connected to FM9 Edit, I would love to hear!

Many thanks in advance.

The FM9 covers a lot of drive pedals. Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

I have a Dunlop Band of Gypsys mini fuzz face that is absolutely brutal, as well as a number of other fuzz boxes, that I want to replicate. I am aware that the BoG fuzz isn’t a true fuzz face, but I believe using the Face Fuzz model with a silicone transistor and high bias values will get it close in feel. But the BoG also has a very specific midlow range that I somehow want to replicate. I thought a frequency response analyzer would make this job easier, but unfortunately the FM9 does not have this block in the library.

Thanks. I had a look at the thread, but I believe the sysx file is for the Ultra, right? Or can I find the settings using FracTools and apply them in my FM9?

Thanks. I had a look at the thread, but I believe the sysx file is for the Ultra, right? Or can I find the settings using FracTools and apply them in my FM9?
I was pretty sure it was for the II, but in an old Axe-Edit I did get a msg that it's for the Ultra.

Using an early Axe-Edit (1.0.304) and opening it as a bank did work.
You'd have to hope that the parameters he changed are still somewhat usable (or know how things may have changed over time), and often there's many other blocks to help the specific sound...

I'm not familiar (anymore) with FracTool and I have two older Axe-Edit versions installed into Sandboxie. AFAIK, you often want the earlier versions, cos they didn't require the Axe to be connected yet. Others will have to chime in if FracTool is useful here.

Jo6Ht9h2MW.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT: I got it to work; I needed to change 'II' to 'Ultra' under settings => configs. I will try to replicate some of the presets on my FM9. If the results are any good, I will perhaps replicate them all and post a new bank of presets in the old thread (but only if the handful presets I try give satisfactory results; if not, I will report this here as well).

I tried opening the .sysx file using the Axe Edit that is on the Fractal website under "legacy products", but the version that is available there is beta version 1.0.191. Consequently, loading the preset .sysx file gives me an error. I see the list of presets, but I can't open any:

1669204139402.png

Am I doing something wrong, or do I need a different version of Axe Edit?

Last edited:
EDIT: I got it to work; [...] I will try to replicate some of the presets on my FM9. If the results are any good, I will perhaps replicate them all and post a new bank of presets in the old thread (but only if the handful presets I try give satisfactory results; if not, I will report this here as well).
Well done! :)

The work may be daunting and ideally needs an Ultra to compare, I guess.

I was also just reminded of the Mixing Law that only came later. It might be necessary to know in case a delay has an important function in the preset (although general use delays you can of course adjust by ear).
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-firmware-version-4-00-public-beta-1.189062/post-2345278

Well done! :)

The work may be daunting and ideally needs an Ultra to compare, I guess.

I was also just reminded of the Mixing Law that only came later. It might be necessary to know in case a delay has an important function in the preset (although general use delays you can of course adjust by ear).
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-firmware-version-4-00-public-beta-1.189062/post-2345278
I will be focusing on the fuzz tones, plus possible equalizer settings from the PEQ blocks, as well as possible ringmods. So changes to the application of parameters in other blocks like delay, is of no relevance to me. I will also look at the amp types and settings used, but will play around to see if I get better results with other amps if I don't like the result.

Just wondering, if I do like one of the presets, and the sound is created using multiple drive and/or PEQ blocks, can I save multiple blocks into one library that can be recalled on the FM9? Or do I have to save each block separately and give it the same name to combine them easily? (Of course I can also just save the whole preset, but that means you can't just add the settings for one particular fuzz into an existing preset)

other blocks like delay, is of no relevance to me.
Indeed, but I was mainly thinking about cases where he may use some kind of trick, like comb filtering with a Delay (I believe is possible), that might be essential to some pedal he's emulating. Just trying to think of "everything" or in case you go for the full experience. He made cool stuff.

Just wondering, if I do like one of the presets, and the sound is created using multiple drive and/or PEQ blocks, can I save multiple blocks into one library that can be recalled on the FM9?
I'm not up-to-date with things, but I'm pretty sure you can still only save a block per effect... I hope you can at least cut & paste several blocks into another preset.

I will be focusing on the fuzz tones, plus possible equalizer settings from the PEQ blocks, as well as possible ringmods. So changes to the application of parameters in other blocks like delay, is of no relevance to me. I will also look at the amp types and settings used, but will play around to see if I get better results with other amps if I don't like the result.

Just wondering, if I do like one of the presets, and the sound is created using multiple drive and/or PEQ blocks, can I save multiple blocks into one library that can be recalled on the FM9? Or do I have to save each block separately and give it the same name to combine them easily? (Of course I can also just save the whole preset, but that means you can't just add the settings for one particular fuzz into an existing preset)

Please report back with your results! I’ve recently started going down the fuzz path and am a huge Big Muff/Fuzz Face fan. I haven’t had the time to tweak much, but I want to replicate my EJ Fuzz Face as well as the Germanium Dover Drive in my Fractal gear, so I’m hoping to steal some tips from you!

Side note- I found a place that sells blank Fuzz Face enclosures and since the circuit is so cheap and easy to mod, I’m going to get a few of them and start tinkering with different transistors, hopefully creating a small army of Fuzz Faces.

Just FYI, the Axe Fx II had a Drive block overhaul I believe, and there have been a couple on the Axe Fx III (which means also the FM9).

I would not expect the results of loading settings from an Axe Fx Ultra Drive block into the FM9 to be too similar...

Back
Top Bottom