Replacement 12" speaker ideas

Sfalsetto

Hey everyone,

I have a Xitone MBritt Cab that I bought several years ago. I love the idea of having an all in one backline solution, but it never quite worked out for my live use, mostly due to that I believe the speaker (celestion FTX1225) is blown. I bought the cab second hand, and I would reach out to Xitone, but obviously most are aware of that debacle now. I basically wrote off the cab and just went with a traditional cab and SS amp setup, which I love the sound of. I am still intrigued by having the amp/cab in one combo though.

I'd like to just remove the speaker and install something new. I'm also considering replacing the Dayton audio amp with a replacement (because with the ones used by xitone, there is no way to modify the dsp like there is on the production model).

I'm basically looking for a 12" speaker replacement that would sound good. I don't necessarily care if it's FRFR, but I would prefer something 8 ohm with high wattage since the plate amp would be putting out 300 watts at 8 ohms. I also like the idea of a speaker with Neo magnets, as it reduces the weight immensely.

I'm looking at mainly the celestion BN12-300 which is used in some quilter products from what I can tell, or something like an Eminence Deltalite 2512. I've also looked at the Celestion copper back Neo, but from the sound clips I've heard it seems a bit harsher and nasally than what I would want.

I currently have v-type Neo in my cab that I use live, and love the sound. I'd like something similar but with higher wattage. Anybody with experience that can offer some insight? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mic used Eminence Beta 12CX speakers with Eminence ASD1001 coaxial tweeter and Eminence CX Crossover for a long time.

I have 3 of them and pulled those details from an older thread of mine.

Edit:

Note that mine are passives

Thanks for the reply. I had an active wedge with the Eminence Beta 12CX. I never got along with it for some reason. I found myself having to make pretty major EQ adjustments to getting it to be tolerable, and even then it seemed to lack “something.” I’ve since sold that, and now have the EV PXM-12M, which I love.

For the whatever reason, I just didn’t get along with the cut one active wedge. Was hoping to find something so I could still get some use out of the MBritt cab, as I really like the form factor. Maybe I should revisit the eminence again but with the ability to be able to adjust the dsp.

Back
Top Bottom