Replace Axe Fx II with Ax8?

Yes, I've checked the website for CPU usage but some block that I use are missing (like the multi-delay). I have a Line6 M5 that I can put on the effect loop for things like the shimmer effect or reverbs but it break a little bit the point to reduce the rig. Ouch 50% seems a kind of deal breaker.

Can an owner of an AX8 tell me how much CPU this preset is taking ?
Thanks !

Attachments

• U2 Running to Stand Still(AX8).syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
According to my searches and after importing a AX8 87% CPU preset I've found that AX8 has like 2/3 horsepower of the Axe-II. So, any preset above 62-64% on my Axe-II won't translate on the AX8 without drastic concessions (like reverb etc...).

Traditionally, I'm a 'tube guy' who is use to two channels, a floorboard with fairly standard effects, and a volume knob. Inherent switching limitations of this setup aside, that's how I like it. So I didn't get my AX8 expecting that I would have a preset for every song or a bunch of effects in the chain. I still don't want it to be that way.

With my current band, I find myself using one preset 90% of the time. Within that preset, by using scenes and switching effects on and off, I can play 90% of our set list - clean to high gain (if push came to shove, I could play the entire setlist with this this one preset). I do set up a couple of additional presets with different amps that I use as needed to better fit the songs we're playing. With some familiarity with my AX8 features, my already cemented sensibilities and my trusty volume knob I can get A LOT of versatility out of that one preset.

IMO, the only limitation someone might run into with regard to transitioning from the FXII to the AX8 is learning how to run a little leaner in the presets. Whether or not this is a hardship for the individual depends on how many effects they really need to run in any given preset. I've had this conversation with a friend who has the AxFXII and he agrees that the AX8 probably doesn't have enough CPU for what he needs (He's a U2 purist) - Fair enough. I get it.

Other than these CPU limitations, if you aren't afraid of a small learning curve and adjustment to controlling it a little differently, I think you could be very happy, especially when it comes to dragging less gear to gigs and rehearsal.

And I've done plenty of direct recording with my AX8, as described above. It works quite well. fwiw

Really helpful for me, thanks again. That prove I can actually go to the AX8 way, which is really cool !
And as you might already know, there are several tricks to reduce cpu usage with the ax8. I succeded in loading all my axe fx patches with these tricks except 2 (very complex Muse patches where I also had an auto-Synth with arpeggiator and 2 pitch blocks, stuff like that).

One of these tricks I discovered and never seen mentioned is to load high-res IRs instead of ultrares, in the ax8 they use the same amount of cpu as low-res ones and you can use them in a stereo cab without affecting the cpu.

I have a question : does a too big Axe-FX II preset will load on the AX8 (using Fractools) with blocks desactivated, so you can adjust and edit it, or does the preset just won't load at all ?

Yes, except if the blocks are not available (example: two amp blocks), then the blocks (example, one of the amp blocks, you cannot control which one) are just shunted

Back
Top Bottom