Bug? Repeating SysEx Message Out

sprint

Axe-Master
I think this started when I upgraded my AxefxII-Mk1 to the latest 9.0 release but I'm not completely sure.

When the Axe starts up with MFC101 plugged in via ethernet, I get a continuous/endless loop of repeating (2 or 3 per sec) sysex messages coming out of the axe as follows. If the mfc is not plugged in when the axe starts up, then these repeating messages will not occur:

00 F0 00 01 74 03 23 00 7F 5A F7

Any idea what this is?

There is no midi device going into the Axefx and AxeEdit / Fractalbot are not running.

I suppose it does not hurt anything but it does mess up my midi monitoring and, I would imagine, takes up resources.

>>UPDATE - Only occurs on patches that I created with some customer MFC programming (on/off and extended messages) - so, I guess it's something i did which is causing this - not FW release as suggested above. Investigation continues ...

Last edited:
I think this started when I upgraded my AxefxII-Mk1 to the latest 9.0 release but I'm not completely sure.

When the Axe starts up with MFC101 plugged in via ethernet, I get a continuous/endless loop of repeating (2 or 3 per sec) sysex messages coming out of the axe as follows. If the mfc is not plugged in when the axe starts up, then these repeating messages will not occur:

00 F0 00 01 74 03 23 00 7F 5A F7

Any idea what this is?

There is no midi device going into the Axefx and AxeEdit / Fractalbot are not running.

I suppose it does not hurt anything but it does mess up my midi monitoring and, I would imagine, takes up resources.

>>UPDATE - Only occurs on patches that I created with some customer MFC programming (on/off and extended messages) - so, I guess it's something i did which is causing this - not FW release as suggested above. Investigation continues ...
0x23 is sysex for looper state

Thanks for the replies - at first I thought it was tempo, but no, it was looper. Here is why for anyone interested:

On my MFC I run banksize = 0, and with the bottom row of switches set up as linked IA switches to control scenes 1-5 (switch 1 is set to ON in the mfc preset menu in order to set scene 1 as default). The looper block is ALWAYS ON with the MFC "Looper Control" setting on "SHORT" to facilitate a short press of the Reveal switch to control looper functions (even though the block is ON it's passive unless I use it (saves having to turn it on/off for each use)).

Now here's the interesting part: I noticed some time ago that, wherever I leave the edit focus in a patch (whichever block is highlighted), subsequent patch loads always return with edit focus on the same block, and, the block goes into edit mode when I press any of the scene select switches after patch load (I don't know why this occurs but it does). In this case it just happened that I had left edit focused on the looper block, and, when the looper is ON and selected with edit focus, and in edit mode, it emits this repeating midi message.

Simple fix: take focus off the looper block. Maybe there is a way to force this in a saved patch but I'm not sure how. There's something triggered by the scene select that forces editing of the block that happened to be last in focus. Ideally I'd like this to be a shunt block but it's easy to forget and leave a patch with a functional block highlighted (i.e. looper). Saving the patch with edit focus on a particular block does not seem to save that state - if the edit focus is changed to something else in another patch, edit focus will be changed to a new position when returning to the original patch.

Hope this helps anyone else who may run into this (though it's pretty obscure so I don't expect many will be similarly afflicted).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom